[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Well, I downloaded a more recent one- MechJeb2-2.0.9.0- and it has no docking autopilot. Just the rendezvous one.

Nope. If you have the latest version that is 2.0.9.... then you most certainly have docking autopilot. You can see that the latest update is 8 days old. I'm afraid you don't have a newer version or a version without the docking autopilot unless you removed that module yourself.

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/

I say look again. It's there you just aren't seeing it.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, I tried searching but found no answer; is it possible to lower the mechjeb tab on the right side of the screen? I notice in the OP the tab is about half way down the screen but on my screen it is quite near the top and partly covers the resource bars, if I could lower it by a couple of inches that would be perfect. Anyone know if this is possible?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, I tried searching but found no answer; is it possible to lower the mechjeb tab on the right side of the screen? I notice in the OP the tab is about half way down the screen but on my screen it is quite near the top and partly covers the resource bars, if I could lower it by a couple of inches that would be perfect. Anyone know if this is possible?

I don't know how, but it should be possible technically speaking. The source is available and it sounds like a simple enough change. It was changed in the earlier versions of 2.0.x when KSP 0.20 came out because it used to block the new map icons on the middle right of the screen.

I don't know how, but it should be possible technically speaking. The source is available and it sounds like a simple enough change. It was changed in the earlier versions of 2.0.x when KSP 0.20 came out because it used to block the new map icons on the middle right of the screen.

Thanks for the reply. From your info I managed to find the github commit where the mechjeb tab was moved in the earlier version, so I know exactly which bit of the code needs modifying but unfortunately making the changes and recompiling it is a little out of my league and I'll need to do a LOT of homework before I can 'fix' it myself.

https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/commit/3f6411f190799deacfd3fde26143ada41be91060

This sounds like a screen resolution difference. I play on 1080p and mine is about half way down the screen, smaller resolutions might mean it'll be close to the resources display.

I'm not a C# guru but on the docking module source it seems that you have a hard coded speed limit of 1 in the docking autopilot. so if you enter anything above 1 it defautls to .2 ?? I can see that would be nice so if you type 100 by accident the craft won't deorbit. but I think 1 is little low maybe 5 would fine.

Is THAT why my docking is so bloody slow? I have tried 10 and 100 and even 1000 trying to speed it up.

I will try 1 but that needs to be better defined.

Edited by tfm
Odd, I SWEAR I responded to the correct entry...

Anyone else noticing that the Hohmann transfer option in 2.0 is completely ignoring gravity turns at the Mun and Minmus whereas the functions from the old Mechjeb would make efficient use of the gravity?

I can't seem to get MJ to make an efficient transfer anymore and have found a number of my old rockets no longer have the juice for the whole trip there and back.

Anyone else noticing that the Hohmann transfer option in 2.0 is completely ignoring gravity turns at the Mun and Minmus whereas the functions from the old Mechjeb would make efficient use of the gravity?

I can't seem to get MJ to make an efficient transfer anymore and have found a number of my old rockets no longer have the juice for the whole trip there and back.

As it stands the current MJ is a pre release and is still prone to certain....idiosyncrasies we will call it. So what you are reporting does not surprise me

What functions would I use in Mecha jeb to just buzz the mun?

I mean I could Hohmann transfer, but that seems kind of ineffecient on the delta v since it tries to shoot me into the surface, and I just want to aproach close, and then return to Kerbin....

What functions would I use in Mecha jeb to just buzz the mun?

I mean I could Hohmann transfer, but that seems kind of ineffecient on the delta v since it tries to shoot me into the surface, and I just want to aproach close, and then return to Kerbin....

I'd start with the Hohmann transfer and then use the maneuver node editor to reduce the prograde Dv enough to turn it into a grazing flyby

Is THAT why my docking is so bloody slow? I have tried 10 and 100 and even 1000 trying to speed it up.

I will try 1 but that needs to be better defined.

Been looking over more of the code and testing some build seems they limit speed by the value you define or by RCS thrust on the axis of movement divided biy the mass of the vehicle. soe with only 4 blocks and a 34 ton vessel you would be limited to .05 speed. even if you but 1000 in the spped blank.. I want to test some but I'm having problems with the compiler atm.

I download the 2.0.9.0 source and compiled it before making anychanges I wanted to make sure it worked as the current release does. Every thing seems to work. but the Rendezvous Autopilot does not show up in the menu. Any ideas what to check to see why it doesn't came up?

This sounds like a screen resolution difference. I play on 1080p and mine is about half way down the screen, smaller resolutions might mean it'll be close to the resources display.

Nope. 1080p here, the tab covers up the resource menu. Has since 2.0.7. Don't know why. Just know it needs to be fixed or it needs to be moveable. There is already a Global MJ config file. Add an adjustment. For this problem to continue is rather annoying when it could be have been fixed a long time ago. People have been reporting this since the fist version after 1.9.8.

No I'am not. I just do some small patch and build.

They are addressed. Someone made a patch way before 0.21 but it's not yet in mainline, and I don't know why. Try it if you want, search for my post a few page before.

And there is a big difference between thinking "it's how it should move" and writing code that does it.

Thanks for this, sorry for the delay in replying but I wanted time to try this out first. It's a definite improvement though I do see the occasional odd moments where the autopilot should be satisfied with the ship's heading/attitude but is not.

The last sentence in your reply makes me think that you're coming away with an interpretation of something I said that I didn't intend. I meant only this (situation with oversteering/countersteering) was one of these times where coding should mimic real life. Nothing more than that.

Docking Autopilot have bug.

Always fail.

:sticktongue:

Ensure that your ship design has properly balanced RCS.

Ensure that ship is being controlled from the port that you wish docking to occur on. (or that it is being controlled from a part that is aligned with said docking port)

I think Sarbian's version addresses some docking issues and if you turn on caps lock (in latest KSP version only) it will help with RCS balancing but I stand by my first statement: Balance your RCS. Give the automatics something it can work with

Edited by Starwaster

I download the 2.0.9.0 source and compiled it before making anychanges I wanted to make sure it worked as the current release does. Every thing seems to work. but the Rendezvous Autopilot does not show up in the menu. Any ideas what to check to see why it doesn't came up?

You forgot to include one of the .cs file in your project. I had the same problem.

I'd start with the Hohmann transfer and then use the maneuver node editor to reduce the prograde Dv enough to turn it into a grazing flyby

Actually, if you back off the dV you'll end up coming in from behind which will give you a sling shot effect. If you want a free return bump the dV up a little so you come in ahead. Do it right and you can even get your return Pe at kerbin low enough to aerobrake you into a landing trajectory or a cheap orbital burn if you want to re-circularize about Kerbin