[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Anyone else having issues with MJ locking the control of your vessel completely at times? I disabled the Rendezvous AP because it was approaching my station in a way that meant I'd line up perfectly with the docking port if I canceled my relative velocity after passing the station, disabled the AP, clicked -Relative Velocity of target in Smart A.S.S, nothing happened, tried to control the craft manually, nothing, couldn't turn or increase the throttle, opened the MJ menu to see if something else was active, none of the entries were green, switched vessels outside the 2.5km range to make the craft unload, went back to it, I'm back in control again and docked it.

Edited by K3|Chris

Hey I was wondering of one of you whom are better at coding then I am might be able to help my... I have module manager, I do get a bet confused when it comes to wrighting the config files what I would like to do is wright a config that would put mechjeb in my pods and probe bodies with out haveing to try and think about how to hid the bloody thing...

Anyone else having issues with MJ locking the control of your vessel completely at times? I disabled the Rendezvous AP because it was approaching my station in a way that meant I'd line up perfectly with the docking port if I canceled my relative velocity after passing the station, disabled the AP, clicked -Relative Velocity of target in Smart A.S.S, nothing happened, tried to control the craft manually, nothing, couldn't turn or increase the throttle, opened the MJ menu to see if something else was active, none of the entries were green, switched vessels outside the 2.5km range to make the craft unload, went back to it, I'm back in control again and docked it.

Greetings,

Yes. I've seen this issue with the last few dev builds. Like you I was using the Rendezvous AP and when the ship got within the designated distance it completly stopped responding to commands. Dropping out to the tracking station and reselecting the ship to reload fixed the problem. However, I wonder if it could be related to RT as this behavior is exactly like what happens when your craft no longer has a connection. I do have the patched version but since this was a manned ship it should not have been an issue. Of course if you're not running RT then it blows this theory completly out of the water.

Best regards,

The Dude

Captain_Party : a maneuver to change SMA was added earlier this week.

BloodyRain2k just added a new mode to the rover AP. "Self Align Torque" will keep your rover aligned with the terrain while doing stunt jump

I looked around for a bit and I couldn't find a clear answer on this. Is there any way to change the reference body used for TWR calculations in the VAB? For example, I wanna make a lander that has exactly 1.0 TWR on Minmus when it's half full on fuel, but MechJeb (from what I can tell) only allows you to see what your TWR is with respect to the celestial body you're currently on. It's not the end of the world cause you can just divide/multiply by whatever factor the gravity differs between Kerbin and your target body, but it'd just be nice to have it show that automatically.

Kerbal Engineer lets you do exactly this, but I'd find it a little silly if I have to run that in tandem with MechJeb. :P

Edited by Ilandria

Greetings,

Yes. I've seen this issue with the last few dev builds. Like you I was using the Rendezvous AP and when the ship got within the designated distance it completly stopped responding to commands. Dropping out to the tracking station and reselecting the ship to reload fixed the problem. However, I wonder if it could be related to RT as this behavior is exactly like what happens when your craft no longer has a connection. I do have the patched version but since this was a manned ship it should not have been an issue. Of course if you're not running RT then it blows this theory completly out of the water.

Best regards,

The Dude

I had it happen yesterday when cancelling a Maneuver Planner execution.

Remote Tech is not installed.

Latest build is having a serious problem landing on Kerbin. Shortly after the initial deorbit burn it says reentry simulation timed out. It'll go ahead and land but quite inaccurately and doing a lot of overcorrecting before it gets down to the point where warp can be used to speed up the process. If I abort then immediately retarget it'll work normally, but still miss by 100+ meters.

Can't hit the VAB or KSC pad spot on like it used to.

Current dev version already has a selector to choose the body while in the VAB.

Oh awesome, I suppose I should check out dev versions before posting questions - I just searched through the thread and didn't find anything, my bad :)

I have a suggestion Sarbian, could you add a maneuver for increasing and decreasing orbital speed?

Lower your perapsis then circularize when you reach perapsis = higher orbital speed. Do the reverse to lower orbital speed. Functions already available in the maneuver planner. Or do you need to rephrase the question?

One suggestion (if not already set): in Hohmann calculation, add either multiple dV choice (minimum required/any delay, minimum delay/any dV, or max dV/max delay I want=try to find a solution with this parameter)

I very much second this request! :) I'd like to see this option when planning any maneuver, be it a Hohmann transfer or going to another planet or landing, whatever. Maybe just a slider bar, with 'Minimum Time / Minimum Efficiency' at one end, and 'Max Time/Efficiency' at the other. This way maybe I wouldn't always have to wait for, like, 6 months (time warped, obviously) to even START to transfer to another planet. I mean, if I'm playing 'sci-fi' style, with 'infinite fuel', then I don't really care about eking out every last mm/s of delta-v that I can, do I? I just want to go there NOW. :)

One question: is there any module which can help me to make a chopper/VTOL (built with FireSpitter) completely steady, I mean killing totally any horizontal speed ?

(I know, I'm a terrible pilot :confused: I'm just learning how to land a plane in a way it can takeoff again after :D)

thanks.

Do you mean OTHER THAN MJ's 'Translatron' module, Justin? Because the 'Keep Vert' function, with the 'Active Speed' set to zero and the 'Kill H/S' (that's 'Kill Horizontal Speed', btw) box checked keeps my Space 1999 Eagles (Mk3, by Wayland Corp. :) ) steady as a rock in hover. I mean, the ship needs to be fairly well balanced to begin with, of course, but if you haven't tried it, give it a go. It would save you from needing to download another mod, at least if it works for you. Oh, here's a tip: If, when hovering with 'Translatron', your craft seems to oscillate back and forth slowly, like it's swinging from a long rope, you need to open the 'Attitude Adjustment' window and LOWER the 'Tf' value, or try the 'Autotune' feature. But if your ship, chopper, whatever, is wiggling really fast, well, you probably have too much torque, either start disabling or removing reaction wheels until it stops, and/or your 'Tf' is too low, and needs to be raised, again selecting or de-selecting Autotune if necessary. Sometimes it takes a bit of experimentation to get it dialed in. Finally (about Translatron, anyway), remember that your 'control from here' axis MUST be vertical. Meaning that you need to have a probe core or docking port pointed at the sky, with all blue showing on the navball.

Now, I know Firespitter has some kind of hover control too, but I haven't messed with it so I can't say how well or even if that works. All I know is that ever since B9 switched to that system for the VA- and VS-1 VTOL engines, they've been totally borked for me. :(

Lastly, there's an independent plugin out there called 'Vertical Velocity Control, that has way more features than MJ's Translatron, but I haven't tried it because MJ works fine for what I need it to do. :)

So that's all the info I have, Justin. I hope some of it is helpful. :)

Later! :D

Observations on Dev181:

• Tf Auto Tune seems to be working better than in earlier devs. Haven't had any skywriting so far.
  • "Control From Here" issue with Rendezvous Autopilot appears to be fixed. At least, I didn't have to go through the tracking station to regain control of my ship. I could go directly into the Docking Autopilot. Update Nope, still isn't fixed. I just brought a crew ship up to the station, and can't get staging control to dump my sustainer.
  • However, Rendezvous Autopilot overshot my target (large station in Mun orbit) at the end of the event. It was set for 100m, but didn't start the final burn until it was way inside 70m, and passed the station by 40m. The closing rate was over 20 m/s, and I was fortunate that the incoming ship didn't nail the station into oblivion.
  • Docking Autopilot was a lot smoother this time. The movement of the ship into alignment was more fluid, and it seemed to hold the vector into the docking port better, even when time-warping.
  • Autostaging is still borked in the Landing Guidance AP. It doesn't seem to be reading the value of the radiobutton in the Utilities dialog. The Ascent Guidance autostage function works properly, though.
  • Ships of all sorts are trying to "chase their navballs" as they reach the end of their burns, usually in the last 1 m/s. This is a carry-over from quite a few dev builds, and may not be a MJ issue, but it's something I didn't notice in very early builds. The ships behave themselves well when their engines are running above a low tick or two, but if the throttle gets down into the basement regions, they begin to act ugly. The target vector reticle on the nav ball starts drifting around, and MJ tries to follow it dutifully instead of locking down on the original burn vector.

Edited by BARCLONE
Just because I said it worked...

Curious about some of the data on the Docking Autopilot. I presume the "safeDistance" value is an imaginary "sphere" around the target of the specified distance. What is "targetSize"? Is that the longest linear dimension of the target? How is "safeDistance" calculated?

MechJeb landing guidance stress test. http://pastebin.com/L4nrMwmJ I put this together to see if I could make a ship that always fails at landing, looks like I did.

Pop it into a 71KM orbit, turn on RCS, target the VAB and watch it fail miserably, every time. It will do large and crazy "corrections", landing guidance will say simulation timeout, then restart. I kept using hyperedit to refill the fuel tanks, also aborted landing and retargeted the VAB several times. It finally chose a trajectory and stuck with it. Still missed hitting the VAB, made a nice MIRV impact on the grass just south of KSC.

Solution? Don't install so much turning power. :) But it might help in debugging why some times with some ships that have normal amount of turning control it flips out and climbs instead of deorbiting and sometimes cannot manage to circularize *and* center an orbit around a planet or moon. (A perfectly circular orbit with a periapsis through the atmosphere, or terrain, tends to not be very survivable.)

Instead of trying to figure out edge cases that sometimes work and sometimes don't, try one that goes way past the edge and reliably fails. Hopefully what's going un-right will stand out.

Edit: I updated to build 181 to re-test this, deleted all of MechJeb's configuration files too so nothing in those from previous builds could be affecting it.

Edited by Galane

Curious about some of the data on the Docking Autopilot. I presume the "safeDistance" value is an imaginary "sphere" around the target of the specified distance. What is "targetSize"? Is that the longest linear dimension of the target? How is "safeDistance" calculated?

When the autopilot is activated I calculate the boundary of both the active ship and the target ship from their mesh. It gives me 2 cube.

From there I took the easy way out :

- get the a sphere that contain the cube for both

- targetSize = radius of the target sphere

- safeDistance = targetSize + radius of the active ship

It has 2 big default :

1. using a sphere mean that long ship get a large sphere, that generate a big targetSize even when you want to dock on the side.

2. the sphere center is either at the active docking port or probe. It makes the radius even more wrong when that part is at one end a long ship.

2 is an easy fix. 1 is more complex.

When the autopilot is activated I calculate the boundary of both the active ship and the target ship from their mesh. It gives me 2 cube.

From there I took the easy way out :

- get the a sphere that contain the cube for both

- targetSize = radius of the target sphere

- safeDistance = targetSize + radius of the active ship

It has 2 big default :

1. using a sphere mean that long ship get a large sphere, that generate a big targetSize even when you want to dock on the side.

2. the sphere center is either at the active docking port or probe. It makes the radius even more wrong when that part is at one end a long ship.

2 is an easy fix. 1 is more complex.

My first thought about "safeDistance" was similar to the "keep out box" around the ISS. I thought it might have been used as the "edge" against which the Rendezvous Autopilot measured for its distance-to-target parameter.

For #2, perhaps you could simplify it even more -- start at the exact center of the target complex, whether it is the docking port or not, then measure out about 1.5x or 2x the longest dimension of the target as the radius of the sphere. Yes, the sphere would be large. Here's why:

For #1, only allow the object actively docking with the target to have "permission" to enter this sphere. The Docking Autopilot can thus ignore the sphere for the most part (it would have permission to enter the sphere) since it is aiming at one specific location, most often a port. The Rendezvous Autopilot needs to absolutely pay attention to the sphere so as not to inadvertently get too close and potentially impact the target. This sphere would have authority over the rendezvous distance value, and could be used as the default value given in the dialog. Regardless of the value put into the dialog box by the player, the RendAP should never try to approach the target closer than the "safeDistance" value.

Someone help me out here please... KSP crashed the other day, and it seems to have taken several configuration files with it. Lost all my toolbar settings, and I not only lost my mechjeb window settings but I don't have the option in the right click menu at all for orbital info, flight info, custom window, etc. Tried a quick reinstall and no good. How do I debug thus?

Just installed dev183...

Auto-warp seems to be broken. I'm having to manually trigger it each time within RendAP.

Also, just had another high-speed pass of my station during final burn. My ship was a full 2 Km ahead of the target (station in Mun orbit), and it delayed the speed-match burn for over 5 seconds past the node point. I watched the station zip past at an alarmingly close distance, well within the 200m "desired final distance". I think I actually saw the distance number get inside 75m as the ship passed. My Kerbals aboard the station may have to come home early for underware changes!

Just installed dev183...

Auto-warp seems to be broken. I'm having to manually trigger it each time within RendAP.

Also, just had another high-speed pass of my station during final burn. My ship was a full 2 Km ahead of the target (station in Mun orbit), and it delayed the speed-match burn for over 5 seconds past the node point. I watched the station zip past at an alarmingly close distance, well within the 200m "desired final distance". I think I actually saw the distance number get inside 75m as the ship passed. My Kerbals aboard the station may have to come home early for underware changes!

Cake and grief counseling will be made available upon return.

Getting annoying problems with ;anding guidance, sometimes the controls just whiz around, but the ship doesn't want to move and mechjeb doesn't do anything, other times it keeps saying "doing correction burn, then turns around and does it again and again, over and over :P