[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

:0.0:

no, I learned that the coefficient of friction of cardboard on cardboard is quite lower than I expected, and you should not stand on a pile of cardboard box to compress them.

I did not break the wrist but it was a close call and I have to wear a splint for a few days (not a cast as I said earlier, I need to improve my medical english vocabulary).

Thanks for the kind words. I ll resume work in a few days.

I use standard scheme for navigation lights on my craft (red on starboard wing, green on port) so I am wondering how do I vanquish the large green light on the radial mechjeb part? I realize I can just put the mechjeb part on my left wing, but my sense for symmetry gets mad. Is there a way to make the red light on the mechjeb part turn/stay on?

Edited by ian9018

then once you have module manager 1.5.6, save this code in notepad with a .cfg extension and put it anywhere in your GameData folder.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

I use standard scheme for navigation lights on my craft (red on starboard wing, green on port) so I am wondering how do I vanquish the large green light on the radial mechjeb part? I realize I can just put the mechjeb part on my left wing, but my sense for symmetry gets mad. Is there a way to make the red light on the mechjeb part turn/stay on?

Very 'Kerbish', opposite from Earth...

I last did a docking with build 181. It moved smoothly into alignment on the port axis then approached. When it got down to 1 meter it slowed down to an extreme crawl, jetting a little forward then immediately counter-firing.

It was still *very slowly* getting closer but was wasting a lot of mono. I tried turning it off and giving it a burst toward the port but after turning it back on it'd slow right back down to a speed that'd make watching paint dry seem like a candidate for the X-Games. Finally I turned off the autopilot and manually pushed it in with RCS.

#184 fix the locked control with the Rendez-vous AP.

Why are you stuck on 168 Starwaster ?

limonlee : MJ uses an open source licence. You can modify it for your use as you please.

Thank you Sarbian. Can you tell me wich is the command or where i can take information of do it?

:0.0:

no, I learned that the coefficient of friction of cardboard on cardboard is quite lower than I expected, and you should not stand on a pile of cardboard box to compress them.

I did not break the wrist but it was a close call and I have to wear a splint for a few days (not a cast as I said earlier, I need to improve my medical english vocabulary).

Just dropping a word to thank you for all your hard work on MJ!

And I hope your wrist will be fine.

Bon rétablissement! (et gaffe aux cartons lol)

Step 1: Take a deep breath, it's only a game.

Step 2: Set your final distance in the rendezvous autopilot to something more reasonable (e.g. further away). That way you have plenty of time to switch to the space center and come back without risking a collision.

Step 3: You don't need to switch scenes anyhow, do a quickload by quicksaving (F5) and then as soon as the quicksave finishes (watch the top right corner of your screen) use F9 to load the quicksave. Control will be restored.

Looks like update 184 addresses this issue. I was quite upset when I thought I was going to lose all three of my oranges suites! Sitting there smashing the keys not ever having seen this lose of control bug and watched in horror as the two ships smashed into each other with such force that they literally bent into a U shape! I have a cargo of unmanned sats on the top of one ship three stacks of three and they twisted around each other and vibrated around for quite some time after the collision but nothing broke or exploded. I was very lucky. It started get my rage up when it continued to happen and I was not seeing the correlation between the RDV AP and the loss of control until several more mishaps and it's quite frustrating to lose total keyboard control at very critical moments.

Hi all. I've installed MechJeb2 to help out with many of the frustrations of playing KSP, especially the ones handled by preprogrammed computers in real life, like flying a launch vehicle and autopiloting a node. I've figured out a lot of the tools but some of the details of using others escapes me. I've looked at the MechJeb Wiki and searched this thread, the wider forums, and YouTube, but I've only found a few old or short pieces with few details. As examples, how does the Smart A.S.S. Adv mode work and what's the difference between the the Translatron's mods?

Is there any better documentation or guides, like YouTube videos, describing the tools in detail using a recent MechJeb2 version?

Bon rétablissement! (et gaffe aux cartons lol)

Merci. Les cartons sont partis en vacances dans leur conteneur jaune :)

ctbram : great to know my last patch will save hundreds of keyboards ;)

Jacke : I'm afraid that's all there is. I'll have to work on it one day but docs never were my strong point...

Hi Sarbian

Using the new dev Version I got the following after CTD in the log hope it helps

[ERR 21:52:04.726] MechJeb module MechJebModuleThrustController threw an exception in Drive: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.CelestialBodyExtensions.RealMaxAtmosphereAltitude (.CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.VesselState.TerminalVelocityStockKSP () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.VesselState.TerminalVelocity () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.TerminalVelocityThrottle () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Sarbian, just installed dev185, and I'm having a blast landing on Duna as I type this. The landing autopilot is working well, getting the lander to a near-perfect touchdown. The actual target is only a few meters off at most from that selected.

My third landing this morning is in the canyon, near the equator. I thought it might create some interesting postcards...

Whatever you did to the Tf calculation in the "Attitude Adjustment" is working well. Nearly every launch has been successful. As for those that weren't successful, well, this is Kerbal Space Program, afterall. Nothing more power and more spinning wheel thingies couldn't handle...

Virtualgenius : there was a lot of those or only a few ? What module was running ?

CTD are mostly memory related so I doubt it's MJ that crashed your KSP.

BARCLONE : it works better for some then for other. But it's a step in the right way.

I did a few test with Galane lander. It seems most of the problem are related to the starting alt. I'll have to find out why.

Next will be the finishing touch on the docking AP and then I can resume adding new feature ( most likely an ascent AP with a better profile for FAR, more use for RCS and maybe an new module )

@sarbian I've never really run into issues with FAR and MJ's ascent autopilot going too wonky. Only a couple important things need to be remembered by users. 1) Turn early (0.1 Km) and 2) keep center of lift below center of mass until atmosphere thins enough for it not to matter (typically 30+ Km).

I tend to build my rockets with one reaction wheel per stage (if it's a heavier lifter design; 50+ tons; otherwise just one wheel for my payload and one for the upper stage) and by using KSP's inbuilt center of mass / center of lift calculations (keeping CoL below CoM until the upper atmosphere stage [usually stage two or three for my builds depending on if I use solid boosters or not]). If my rockets need extra control surfaces to bring the center of lift below center of mass I make sure to set their movement range very low (typically two degrees) and I have very little to no wobble (read: overcorrection causing rapid unplanned disassembly) using any ascent profile in MJ's autopilot.

Virtualgenius : there was a lot of those or only a few ? What module was running ?

CTD are mostly memory related so I doubt it's MJ that crashed your KSP.

BARCLONE : it works better for some then for other. But it's a step in the right way.

I did a few test with Galane lander. It seems most of the problem are related to the starting alt. I'll have to find out why.

Next will be the finishing touch on the docking AP and then I can resume adding new feature ( most likely an ascent AP with a better profile for FAR, more use for RCS and maybe an new module )

There where 4 instances of it I was running a Jool V rocket with a KSO shuttle on top memory was around 3 gb so its probably related to memory just trying to help out with logs of errors