[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

The plan seems to be checking how you installed it since most of the time people who have the "I can't unlock the part" problem did not install properly.

So where are your MJ files ?

Ok after a few days of playing with MJ I have come to two conclusions....

1- I suck with it. Anyone have any better discriptions on what each autopilot menu is and what they do? Smart ASS is nothing more than the flight computer from RT2 so that is easy for me to figure out, but the ascent autopilot is horrible. I dont turn it on till I am past the halfway point on any launch with a rocket in the RSS mod.

2- It is useless for spaceplanes, not that I mind, I still do most of my piloting myself.

Additional note- it really doesn't read right with the RF mod in RSS. And god forbid I have a RAPIER or a SABER on the aircraft.

But overall I like it, it isn't as bad as I thought.

Mechjeb did something really weird today I've never seen before. I had a stranded Kerbal on the mun, and brought a rescue craft, had mechjeb do a targeted descent to land at target. worked fine, lined me up for a landing 130-ish meters away. {The landing point was inside a deep crater, but I had a flat patch targeted for landing, Whergee had set up a flag I targeted for the landing.} <Important} Mechjeb brings me down and tries to land equal to the height of the crater rim, {not on the rim itself} which was a couple hundred meters higher than the landing spot beneath me. It brings me to a hover at the altitude of the crater rim, and turns off the engines. My ship of course starts to fall, and before I can react, mechjeb kicks back in. and seems to realize- oops I'm in the crater, and brings me down to the crater floor safely. I got Whergee home, but I've never seen this reaction before. It was like Mechjeb was seeing a false terrain surface, until it fell through it after the engines cut out, and I haven't been able to duplicate it since. I still wanted to mention it though, just to see if anyone else has had this happen.

Mechjeb did something really weird today I've never seen before. I had a stranded Kerbal on the mun, and brought a rescue craft, had mechjeb do a targeted descent to land at target. worked fine, lined me up for a landing 130-ish meters away. {The landing point was inside a deep crater, but I had a flat patch targeted for landing, Whergee had set up a flag I targeted for the landing.} <Important} Mechjeb brings me down and tries to land equal to the height of the crater rim, {not on the rim itself} which was a couple hundred meters higher than the landing spot beneath me. It brings me to a hover at the altitude of the crater rim, and turns off the engines. My ship of course starts to fall, and before I can react, mechjeb kicks back in. and seems to realize- oops I'm in the crater, and brings me down to the crater floor safely. I got Whergee home, but I've never seen this reaction before. It was like Mechjeb was seeing a false terrain surface, until it fell through it after the engines cut out, and I haven't been able to duplicate it since. I still wanted to mention it though, just to see if anyone else has had this happen.

Just speculation but it sounds to me like it just applied a little too much thrust or too soon, and zeroed your velocity too early. That can especially happen with a high TWR.

I think you probably dont need to worry about it...

Just speculation but it sounds to me like it just applied a little too much thrust or too soon, and zeroed your velocity too early. That can especially happen with a high TWR.

I think you probably dont need to worry about it...

I'm not worried about it, I was just confused. I've landed this same lander {with 0 changes} on the mun at least a dozen times since this first occurred, and 3 times it was in that same crater, and it has not occurred again. And I know its not because of a high thrust to weight ratio. the lander actually cannot lift off if the tanks are full. the thrust to weight margin is that tight.

Docking is off by a bit in dev build 198, it will not dock itself I have to translate sideways to dock it manually.

I'm having the same problem. Two ships with clampotron jr's on their noses and the AP wants to put the center of the docking ship's port on the edge of the port it's docking to.

It would be nice to have MJ be able to land a low TWR craft from a very low orbit.

Like a TWR of 1.4 (rising to 1.9) landing from an orbit of 6.5km...

Currently it seems to face retrograde and burn until it lithobrakes.

there would have to be an orbital speed reduction section with a gradual attitude shift so the altitude does not drop then a final approach stage that stops and drops the last few km like normal.

It would be very handy.

I have had 'similar' issues when trying to come into say Minmus and have a mountain between me and the lz. I have been hoping for parameter such as altitude to switch to vertical descent. So for example, you select your coordinates for landing, say down in a crater, and then set the alt for vertical descent to say 3000m. MJ would then calc the de-orbit and descent profile to have killed all horizontal speed directly over the target, at the desired altitude and then do simple pure vertical descent....

Cheers.

Just installed dev191. Initial observations:

• Docking AP seems to be working better now, as far as the approach is concerned. Alignment is good when using stock Clamp-O-Trons. Positioning and approaching is rapid in normal time, and seems to hold a better target lock even in time warp.
  • Nasty issue when docking is complete. MJ wants to burn the RCS for no reason after completing the docking, and after showing the autopilot should already be shut down. When I manually close out the dialog, the RCS shuts off.
  • Rendezvous AP still seems to have an issue (target vector drifts) during the last phases of an engine burn. If I disengage the RendAP quickly when the drift starts, then re-engage it, the drift goes away and the next step in the sequence begins normally. Something is not properly closing out at the end of each phase of a rendezvous, and MJ is getting "vapor lock", or "gimbal lock". There may be other issues at work here, but the clearing of the issue by shutting down the AP, then quickly re-engaging it, points to at least one issue within MJ.
  • The drifting issue also occurs in the Ascent AP, during the last burn-to-apoapsis and during the circularization burn. Probably the same issue as with the RendAP.

Edited by BARCLONE

I second the "true" vertical decent option for Mechjeb. I've not done much testing with MJ as I've got back into eve-online and found out that we are at war. And with me owning a capital ship, a dreadnought. I've been called in for the heavy hitting it can provide.

I have had 'similar' issues when trying to come into say Minmus and have a mountain between me and the lz. I have been hoping for parameter such as altitude to switch to vertical descent. So for example, you select your coordinates for landing, say down in a crater, and then set the alt for vertical descent to say 3000m. MJ would then calc the de-orbit and descent profile to have killed all horizontal speed directly over the target, at the desired altitude and then do simple pure vertical descent....

Cheers.

drtedastro,

I was having the same problem and figured out a work-around:

Set your trajectory to put the end point well past your desired LZ.

Once near over the LZ, you lateral burn to slow your surface velocity to near zero. (Map view helps with placement.)

Then, in MJ, click 'ADV' (far right) and set for 'SURFACE_VELOCITY' and 'BACK'.

Burn as necessary to slow your descent and MJ will vector you in perfectly.

Installed dev192. First observations:

Testing a docking with a small one-seat lander in Kerbin orbit, carried under the shroud (ProcFar adapter with conical aeroshroud) just behind the command-service module (Apollo S-IV-B style). At stage separation (shroud flies away in four pieces), I engaged thrusters to put some distance between the two (but less than 10 m). Then I set the "control from here" to the CSM's docking port and the "set as target" to the LM's port. When I engaged the DockingAP, MJ promptly rotated 180, then fired forward thrusters and rammed the two ships together, sending the LM and the still-attached stage tumbling out of control.

Will try another mission tomorrow, and put additional distance between the two before engaging the AP.

My mechjeb doesn't seem to be able to apply any rotation control on my crafts since a few days,

it tries to control the orientation, but only makes "right and left" movements when I want it to orient itself to point to a node.

Any Ideas to why?

My mechjeb doesn't seem to be able to apply any rotation control on my crafts since a few days,

it tries to control the orientation, but only makes "right and left" movements when I want it to orient itself to point to a node.

Any Ideas to why?

Right click the craft's control part and click control from here.