[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Hm, probably not. I'm using the .dll that was posted last month.

EDIT:

Updated to 2.2.1 from the latest dev version link.

Same stats. All Dv readings are on the last stage. Removed the center tank and engine, replaced it, reattached legs from subassembly.

EDIT 2: Started from scratch. Mechjeb does not recognize that the poodle and the 48's are in different stages.

SOLVED: It's the modular girder segment coming down from the modular girder XL.

Also caused by radial attachment point being pointed down.

Edited by xcorps

Yes, this is one of the "classic" fuel flow mistakes that people make. Kasuha's fuel flow thread has an example that shows this. If you go to launch and run the engines for a few seconds then you will see the fuel is taken from the central tank first so there is none left after you stage. Simply adding in some structural plates "fixes" it...

X3EStF7.png

What the-? Even if the girders had fuel-crossfeed, they are attached to a decoupler... Radial or not, those should prevent any fuel drain unless bypassed by a fuel pipe

(at least that's what I was taught).

Yeah, radial decouplers having crossfeed is 'what.'

Easy to fix though. Just add "fuelCrossFeed = False" to the 'part.cfg' files for the decouplers. (They're in GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\, radialDecoupler, radialDecoupler1-2, and radialDecoupler2. Or set up a modulemanager config to do it.

There's really no reason for radial decouplers to have fuel crossfeed, it can pretty much only lead to bad things.

I suspect fuel feed on radial decouplers was put in at an early stage to allow for drop-tanks, before fuel lines were implemented.

I think it has more to do with the fact that they changed crossfeed from 'off' by default to 'on' by default and forgot to add the line to the .cfgs :P

After finally managing to get a spaceplane into orbit yesterday using stock aerodynamics, I decided to try FAR for the first time. Before I go beat my head into a wall with a new learning curve, are there any tips and tricks to using FAR with the flight controls in MJ? Any settings I can change in MJ itself to improve landing accuracy for ballistic capsules, for instance? Thanks in advance.

are there any tips and tricks to using FAR with the flight controls in MJ? Any settings I can change in MJ itself to improve landing accuracy for ballistic capsules, for instance? Thanks in advance.

The best advice is don't even try. Atmospheric landings can be so affected by even the orientation of your craft, it's hopeless to even try. My personal motto is just not to use MJ in atmosphere at all. I haven't dealt too much with planes, but it's not the best with rockets, that much I know.

The best advice is don't even try. Atmospheric landings can be so affected by even the orientation of your craft, it's hopeless to even try. My personal motto is just not to use MJ in atmosphere at all. I haven't dealt too much with planes, but it's not the best with rockets, that much I know.

Well, with stock aerodynamics, MJ does give pretty good accuracy for parachute landings these days (thanks in no small part to the efforts of contributors like codepoet who worked with Sarbian to fix some long-standing problems). And the current Spaceplane Guidance module does a nice job giving a navball indicator for a simulated ILS glideslope, which is the only way I managed to land on the runway at all.

Yeah, radial decouplers having crossfeed is 'what.'

Easy to fix though. Just add "fuelCrossFeed = False" to the 'part.cfg' files for the decouplers. (They're in GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\, radialDecoupler, radialDecoupler1-2, and radialDecoupler2. Or set up a modulemanager config to do it.

There's really no reason for radial decouplers to have fuel crossfeed, it can pretty much only lead to bad things.

The thing is, I made that lander as pictured, but instead of using a part to point everything in the right direction, I put a fuel tank on the end of the girder, then attached the larger landing tank/legs. No more crossfeed. It took an extra part to make the fuel crossfeed, either an additional girder or the radial attachment.

When I launch at the interplanetary window, the delta-v needed to do the interplanetary transfer(once I left kerbin's SOI) vary a lot: I made a transfer to Duna and it needed 738 m/s; I then made another launch but this time, the delta-v needed was 937 m/s.

Is it normal? Is there a way to "force" mechjeb to choose the transfer needing 738 m/s instead of the transfer needing 937 m/s?

When I launch at the interplanetary window, the delta-v needed to do the interplanetary transfer(once I left kerbin's SOI) vary a lot: I made a transfer to Duna and it needed 738 m/s; I then made another launch but this time, the delta-v needed was 937 m/s.

Is it normal? Is there a way to "force" mechjeb to choose the transfer needing 738 m/s instead of the transfer needing 937 m/s?

It depends on Kerbin and Duna's exact positions relative to each other. You should expect DV requirements to vary. Look up and study porkchop plots.

Well, with stock aerodynamics, MJ does give pretty good accuracy for parachute landings these days (thanks in no small part to the efforts of contributors like codepoet who worked with Sarbian to fix some long-standing problems). And the current Spaceplane Guidance module does a nice job giving a navball indicator for a simulated ILS glideslope, which is the only way I managed to land on the runway at all.

I haven't done much with planes but I have done some recent experiments with gliders built around single large SRBs. Putting on wings and things to enable it to get off the runway then pop them off soon to adjust the center of lift soon enough to prevent flipping over backwards but not so soon as to have it nose over and crash. Managed a few successful deadstick landings under MJ control, but only one straight and center on the runway.

The old large SRB was easier to make into a glider than the longer one in .23.5, could get the shorter one off the runway without throwaway devices to pry it loose from the surface. Just hit T, launch and once it was wheels up hit G and turn it over to MJ's ascent guidance.

http://pastebin.com/pGBkuXUi short one

http://pastebin.com/j20AEFUG long one

I'm sure others can do better at making solid rocket gliders to do deadstick landings back at KSC or the island.

KSP aerodynamics appears to work much better with canard designs. With these I see it pushing all control surface UP behind the COL, which keeps the long one glued to the runway. Many failed launches, many times losing the booster. I put wheels on the booster but all that did was end up with all control surfaces flipped up and using the rearmost wheels as a fulcrum to pin the plane down even harder.

On real aircraft with a rear horizontal stabilizer the wing flaps go DOWN to boost lift instead of going up in an attempt to rotate the aircraft around the COL. The stabilizer pushes down to keep the nose up, less efficient than a canard where all surfaces always lift up.

On the short SRB I did try a canard design but it was less successful at both getting airborne and in flight.

It is not working now. I just did some house cleaning with my mods, deleting parts I don't use and downloading a few new ones, and now MechJeb doesn't work. None of the windows show up anymore. The only thing that I have ever done in the folder is delete the capsule. I have deleted the old fold and replaced it with the backup that I have on my computer and I have also downloaded a whole new copy of MechJeb and installed that in an effort to try and fix the issue but to no avail. I really hope that I have not broken my KSP again in some way....... Any help would be awesome!

Are you using career or sandbox, in your gamedata folder under mechjeb you should have 3 folders Icons,Parts,Plugins do you have these. In your plugins folder you should see the mechjeb.dll and PluginData, in your parts folder you should see Mechjeb2_AR202 folder as well as MechJeb2_Pod folder please confirm that you have these.

I am playing in sandbox and have all the folders and things that should also be in the folders. The two mods that I downloaded are the environmental visual enhancements and the distant objects mod. EVE I had to get rid of because it started to make my game sluggish. I also downloaded SCANsat and deleted a few of the stock parts. Some of my other mods: TAC fuel balancer, crew manifest, B9, KW, Nova, kethane, chatterer, THSS, LASER mod, and kerbal joint reinforcement