[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Does it do accurate landings within 1km in atmosphere for you as well :P?

It does for me when I play with stock aero. When I play with FAR, I can "brute force" a landing within about 3.5 km if I come in very steeply, from a high altitude orbit. Good thing I don't play with DRE! :D

Would there be any way to make it so MechJeb takes staging into account when calculating when to begin a burn? It knows how much time and dv is left in the current stage, so it should be able to take into account the differing TWR between the two stages and, for example, start the burn earlier if the TWR of the next stage is lower.

Would there be any way to make it so MechJeb takes staging into account when calculating when to begin a burn? It knows how much time and dv is left in the current stage, so it should be able to take into account the differing TWR between the two stages and, for example, start the burn earlier if the TWR of the next stage is lower.

That would be great.

KER does that for its maneuver node calculations.

There's an option in the maneuver planner to set up a resonant orbit, have you tried that?

Yes, tried that. What I did was used Accent Assistant to get the rocket to 2868.75 Km and then I tried a Hoffman Transfer and the Resonant Orbit change.

Is this the correct way? What am I doing wrong? Also, my first satillite was not perfectly over KSC. Can anyone tell me the correct procedure?

I think he meant "Nice to see that MJ does work not only for me". ;)

Yep, that was an unfortunate ordering of the words :D

MJ burn should account for staging as long as you have autostage checked.

That's only on launch though. Unless I'm wrong, it doesn't have that option for a maneuver node execution in orbit.

I think though that he's referring to when to start the burn. Not whether or not it auto stages.

Example: you have a 1200 kN engine that has 200 DV in that stage and you have a 1000 DV burn. The next stage is only 200 kN. Or maybe it would be better to speak in terms of TWR. Let's say you're staging from a TWR of 1.6 to 0.5 (pulling numbers out of my exhaust nozzle)

when do you start for an optimal burn???

I just checked the code and actually it does not care if autostage is on and assume you ll stage instantly. So I'll add the autostage delay in there when autostage is on.

If you have a stock ship that seems to not take multiple stage into account for node then please post the ship file.

Edit : added. Hopefully I did not break stuff :P

I did not add anything for manual staging. I wonder if there is a minimum delay between 2 stage.

Starwaster : if you have not looked at the code already you ll see that MJ uses the stages stats to know how much thrust each stage has and account for all that.

Edited by sarbian

Does it do accurate landings within 1km in atmosphere for you as well :P?

Every time for me, stock or stock + DRE.

You keep complaining about this but I haven't seen you say that you've installed the optional FAR mod for MJ (see Sarbian's signature for link). You've changed the rules by changing the aerodynamics so it's no wonder MJ can't land accurately for you, unless you explain the new rules to it by installing the compatability mod as well.

If you have got that optional mod I apologise, but your problem is still with the compatability, not MJ itself. (Still Sarbian's baby though ^^).

Galane: Replace your existing SDF plugin with the following to stop it from setting the Conic drag model.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t57wqjrc5o28t5w/StockDragFix.dll?dl=1

It was ignoring the setting in its setting file due to a misplaced pair of parentheses. (I think the cat knocked them behind the desk)

Replaced the SDF 1.1 DLL with that one. No change in how Landing Guidance doesn't work with SDF. :(