[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

It would be very interesting if you guys could make some sort of code to make it so that when your craft is re entering the atmosphere it gets the trajectory as close to the designated landing zone as possible, but when the craft reaches a set parameter, for instance when craft starts to get to a certain temperature, the landing autopilot goes into "reentry" mode, where it points the craft retrograde until the temp falls below the predetermined cutoff. Then, it will enter the final landing stage, where gears are deployed, chutes opened, and the final approach is made, that way it is designed to be used with the new heat shields. Any thoughts on this?

By the time you get heating it is far too late to try flip the craft. If you are even able to flip the craft at that point aerodynamic stress and or heating is very likely to kill you. MJ already has a landing autopilot that does exactly what you are asking for but turns retrograde for entry before hitting the atmosphere.

What would be a descent ascent path?

I don't ask for the perfect one, because I know it depend heavily on the ship, I'm just asking for a path which I could start from; a sort-of "generic" path(if you understand what I mean).

"descent ascent" ;']

Look back a few pages, many people have posted some but I will post mine here again a third time because these threads do move quickly

Turn end = 50

end angle = 0

turn shape =50

Limit AoA = 5

Corrective steering = Off, always off and never anything other than off.

Turn start depends on TWR, anywhere from off the pad to 7km.

is that only me? mechjeb 2.5 for ksp 1.0 in career mode, aspargus dv doesnt show properly in VAB

Getting the same (Linux/x64/KSP 1.0 clean install plus MechJeb 2.5, no other mods). It seems like for radial staging in general it calculates the correct figure for total delta-V but doesn't separate it per-stage.

ETA: Regarding ascent profile: I've been using a 50% turn starting at 1.5km, maximum Angle of Attack 25 degrees, with a maximum TWR of no greater than 1.5. This seems to get me to space without making the explodey.

Edited by eataTREE

Had to alter the ascent guidance to not start till above 20km, or my always obese ships like to do cartwheels now lol. But that's no big issue, kinda funny to watch how things are working differently now, new learning curve.

Only thing I can't seem to remedy is the overheats. Since update game now radiates heat to connected parts, blowing them up just after MechJeb starts to cut thrust. This saves the engines (sometimes), but with the connected parts blown up, the engines just float off into space away from my craft leaving them critically crippled.

Any way to fix this apart from keeping a close view and cutting thrust when heat climbs manually? Can I get MechJeb to begin cutting thrust sooner?

Build #435, getting nullrefs whenever i try to get the landing prediction box clicked...

After downloading dev build #435, landing guidance will not function and throws a null reference exception. I created a clean save just to test it, and it still occurs. When selecting a landing target, I get this:

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

dT is NaN! tA: 0.885182619094849, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

dT is NaN! tA: 3.25356577336788, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.41408538818359, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.99173140525818, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 0.906221866607666, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 3.27533811330795, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.2440037727356, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 6.01887226104736, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 0.857944011688232, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 3.22544161230326, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.74127507209778, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.89984750747681, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

When activating "Land at Target", it throws this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MuMech.SimulatedPart.Set (.Part p, MuMech.SimCurves _simCurves) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.SimulatedPart.New (.Part p, MuMech.SimCurves simCurve) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.SimulatedVessel.Set (.Vessel v, MuMech.SimCurves _simCurves) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.SimulatedVessel.New (.Vessel v, MuMech.SimCurves simCurves) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleLandingPredictions.StartSimulation (Boolean addParachuteError) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleLandingPredictions.OnModuleEnabled () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.ComputerModule.set_enabled (Boolean value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.UserPool.Add (System.Object user) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleLandingAutopilot.LandAtPositionTarget (System.Object controller) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleLandingGuidance.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

In case it's pertinent, the mods I have installed are:

Kerbal Joint Reinforcment

Procedural Fairings

USI Sounding Rockets

Taurus HCV

Waypoint Manager <- potential culprit, I'll try removing this and giving it a shot next

I've also modified the Mechjeb part.cfg file to unlock all functions at flightcontrol, but that didn't affect anything before.

Files:

persistent.sfs

output_log.txt

Landing Test 1.craft

part.cfg - modified cfg file in case you care to have it

Edit: Removing Waypoint Manager had no effect.

Edit2: I can also confirm that reverting to the release version has solved the issue.

Edited by Randazzo

I don't know if it is me, but with the 1.0 version of mechjeb. it steers me completely vertical at about 20K altitude, when using ascent guidance. No matter what I do.

Limiting to terminal velocity seems to be out of wack as well.

Edited by Maizel

I don't know if it is me, but with the 1.0 version of mechjeb. it steers me completely vertical at about 20K altitude, when using ascent guidance. No matter what I do.

Limiting to terminal velocity seems to be out of wack as well.

Read back a couple pages -- you'll need to enter in a custom ascent path for the guidance to use, thanks to the fancy new KSP aero system. Several people have posted what they are currently using if you look!

Read back a couple pages -- you'll need to enter in a custom ascent path for the guidance to use, thanks to the fancy new KSP aero system. Several people have posted what they are currently using if you look!

Thanks for the reply. Will do. <3

I have kind of given up on reading back in this multihundred page thread.

Thanks for the reply. Will do. <3

I have kind of given up on reading back in this multihundred page thread.

Me too.

-

As far as having trouble at 20km that was same place I ran into issues with heavy ship.

Turned off all Limits except for Terminal Velocity.

My target orbital altitude is 100km.

Under Edit Ascent Path:

Set ship to not start the curve until 23km (seemed to be having issues from 20-22km)

End curve at 70km

Turn Shape 80%

It's a pretty gradual climb, so seems to handle my 915 ton fuel bulker okay with only four rcs port up top, and not costing too much fuel on the climb.

Still having trouble with attached parts exploding right after MJ kicks in to cool stuff down though :/

Observation: small K2 pod and Mk1 pod. I was testing node placement and several other custom mods (read: hacks, not Mechjeb) at 135 km orbit and I selected auto-land at KSP. MechJeb begins burn and just starts flipping around like a wounded duck on the water. It cannot zero in on the space center and misses entirely never breaking orbit. Since I was testing other things; I just manually broke orbit and landed in the sea. This happen all 3 mission tests yesterday.

MecJeb: yesterday's Curse Forge release.

Yet again I manage to break landing guidance. KSP 1.0 no mods except MechJeb dev build 435. Sandbox game with normal difficulty settings. I launched this http://pastebin.com/Q0BC0rtM to 100 KM orbit with Ascent Guidance then attempted to land at the pad.

First attempt I left the Kerbodyne engine and tank on, figuring it would do the high deorbit burn then I could drop it. Uhhh, no. MechJeb attempted to *reverse orbit direction* actually came to a stop and started going retrograde before I aborted the auto land. So after dropping the empty I tried Land Somewhere - falling almost straight down. Ran out of fuel because it wasn't using atmosphere drag at all to slow down.

Second attempt I dropped the big tank before starting to land. What's this? It won't even begin to attempt to land? No auto warping, no high deorbit burn? Land Somewhere got it to start so with the lander on the way down I tried the autopilot again. Nope, not working. I let it freefall a while with SASS holding it retrograde, intending to save some fuel for Land Somewhere to do a suicide burn but the new Aero forced it around to prograde and *splat* into the ocean. (Had 4 or 5 explosions in the hot zone but saw no missing parts right before impact.)

I'll try starting a new sandbox game with heating set to off and see what happens. Also looks like the new aero is going to make landings on bodies with atmo a lot harder, even without heating on. Not only will I be abandoning the save and all the missions I've been working on since .21, looks like I'll be building all new and different craft, at least for going back to Duna and Eve.

Oh, terminal velocity limiter in Ascent guidance, not working on this rocket. Got lots of shockwave and just a start of heating before getting above the lower atmosphere. Without TV limit it even flies up sideways for a bit in the turn, doesn't break apart and no wobbles so Kerbal Joint Reinforcement may no longer be needed.

Edited by Galane

Has anybody had problems with MJ not splitting node burn times in half? Like half before and half after.

Then again though, I AM slingshotting around the sun and doing a pretty extreme (over 8k deltaV) 'match planes with target' maneuver.

Edited by smjjames

What would be a descent ascent path?

I don't ask for the perfect one, because I know it depend heavily on the ship, I'm just asking for a path which I could start from; a sort-of "generic" path(if you understand what I mean).

Keep the ascent profile at default but start the gravity turn as low as it will allow.

Until 'limit to terminal velocity' gets fixed set your 'max acceleration' to 20. Above 25 km remove the acceleration limit.

Land at Target seems to be broken. Trying to do a simple Mun landing, and autowarp isn't even kicking in, much less plane-change or deorbit burns.
I see a weird issue where MJ likes to try and roll and use banking to adjust trajectory (Ascent autopilot) rather than yaw at all
Has anybody had problems with MJ not splitting node burn times in half? Like half before and half after.

Then again though, I AM slingshotting around the sun and doing a pretty extreme (over 8k deltaV) 'match planes with target' maneuver.

Sarbian needs some logs and other pertinent info to fix this stuff, Kerbs. :)

Oh, terminal velocity limiter in Ascent guidance, not working on this rocket. Got lots of shockwave and just a start of heating before getting above the lower atmosphere. Without TV limit it even flies up sideways for a bit in the turn, doesn't break apart and no wobbles so Kerbal Joint Reinforcement may no longer be needed.

Is it that the limiter is not working or that terminal velocity is just really high with the new aero? Don't forget that terminal velocity can easily exceed the speed of sound for a streamlined object.

Nothing worth toss in my log, but I have a screenshot to show my issue

sXONmZB.jpg

I have these engines angled pretty steeply on the craft, and they have quite a gimbal. As Mechjeb tries to orientate my direction of travel to line up with the correct heading it's aiming for (I'm heading maybe 2 degrees, but it wants to head 0 degrees), instead of Yaw'ing and using the engine's gimbal to do it, it banks (As you can see in the screenshot) When it banks, because of the angle my engines are attached, it just pushes the direction of travel even further off course, causing even more banking.

Using Force Roll works to keep it level until you get to a certain angle near the horizon, then it just wobbles until it breaks itself apart

It's no where near maxing out it's constraints, plenty of wiggle room all around to orientate itself

Edited by Sabor

http://i.imgur.com/sXONmZB.jpg

I have these engines angled pretty steeply on the craft, and they have quite a gimbal. As Mechjeb tries to orientate my direction of travel to line up with the correct heading it's aiming for (I'm heading maybe 2 degrees, but it wants to head 0 degrees), instead of Yaw'ing and using the engine's gimbal to do it, it banks (As you can see in the screenshot) When it banks, because of the angle my engines are attached, it just pushes the direction of travel even further off course, causing even more banking.

Using Force Roll works to keep it level until you get to a certain angle near the horizon, then it just wobbles until it breaks itself apart

It's no where near maxing out it's constraints, plenty of wiggle room all around to orientate itself

Probably should post your log anyway, just because you don't see anything useful doesn't mean that there isn't something useful for Sarbian.

http://i.imgur.com/sXONmZB.jpg

The problem is the part you are controlling from is not aimed at your desired direction of travel. That will always cause problems.

Does anyone else's mechjeb have all the tools available in career mode from the first node where the case is unlocked? I have rendezvous, landing, and etc all unlocked when I definitely have not unlocked those nodes yet in my new career game. If others have this "issue" it's a bug otherwise I guess somehow this could be caused through a mod conflict?

Suggestions?