First 1.0.5 feature preview videos coming out.

Aethon

Hmm... according to Scott Manley's video (I Zapruder'd it in HD), the Vector is going to be a bit overpowered for a stock shuttle. I use 3 Skippers on mine (569 kN surface) and that's just about perfect. The Vector in his video gets 937 kN and 295s Isp on the surface.

Other goodies I picked up:

The Goliath gets 12,600s Isp. *very* economical.

The new Wheesly gets a 10% bump in Isp to 10,500s and also has a thrust reverser.

The Panther gets 9,000s and 72kN dry at low speed/ alt and 4,000s and 123 kN in afterburner. It's performance in afterburner is virtually identical to the current Whiplash and about like the current Wheesly dry, so it could make an excellent spaceplane engine *if* it can stay lit to a good altitude and speed.

Best,

-Slashy

If 1.0.5's patch notes have one that says "And many more" I'm gonna cry. Such a cop-out in the last list we saw.

It's difficult to document them all in a list like that. Many bugs can't be seen by the user and explaining them in a patch note would be too technical for most non-programmers to understand.

The patch notes are for our benefit. The developers don't need them, they have the issue tracker for that. So there is no point in including technical detail that the end user can't understand and would require more than a single bullet point to explain.

Edited by Alshain

It's difficult to document them all in a list like that. Many bugs can't be seen by the user and explaining them in a patch note would be too technical for most non-programmers to understand.

The patch notes are for our benefit. The developers don't need them, they have the issue tracker for that. So there is no point in including technical detail that the end user can't understand and would require more than a single bullet point to explain.

It's a wonder I manage to eat my cereal without choking on it.

Yes, but some of us are programmers who mod this game and it'd be really nice to be apprised of hidden bugs that were fixed, most especially if they concern stuff we've worked around.

Yes, but some of us are programmers who mod this game and it'd be really nice to be apprised of hidden bugs that were fixed, most especially if they concern stuff we've worked around.

Isn't the bug tracker publicly viewable?

Can confirm: there's an issue tracker available: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/ksp

This looks like a good update, but [obligatory rant on how 80% of the parts are spaceplane parts]. The space shuttle engine looks great though, I think i'll be using it quite a bit! And that jet engine with the thrust reverser is giving me ideas..

The fact that water is no longer super-deadly is music to my ears, I've had too many landers fall apart with a boatload of science just because I narrowly missed the mainland and hit water instead, and because Kerbin Watertm is apparently made of corrosive rocket destroying bouncy material, it shredded apart everything, which wasn't fun at all. And the contextual contracts is a nice step in the right direction (though I do think the contract system for career mode is inherently flawed, at least the way it is now where you can't do exactly what you want for funds)

All in all, from the previews I rate this update 6.5/10, 8/10 if you like spaceplanes.

Does the public tracker include internal tickets?

For bugs, I doubt it but I do not know. For new features I'm sure they keep those away from public eyes, that should be obvious. I can't imagine why you would want to hide bugs you are fixing from public knowledge.

Anyway, back on topic.. is there still only those two videos? Nobody else?

The public bugtracker looks pretty much like a one way street to me. People can report bugs but there is no information flow in the other direction. Looking at the closed issues, I find only duplicates and rejected reports.

Edited by pellinor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.