Undone things in KSP.

DMSP

Hi everyone!

I was thinking the other minute, what are things that have never (as we know of) been done in KSP?

Use this thread to post what you think (or know) hasn't been done. I'll make a list on this post.

If someone decides to do one of these, you have to do it legitly in stock KSP 1.0.5. Good luck, all.

Things on the list that get done will be bolded.

The list of undone things:

-Ascend from Eve Sea Level with Solid boosters only.

-An underwater Laythe colony.

-A Dres colony.

-Eeloo Full Mission with no reaction wheels.

-Make it within 20 Km of the core of a planet.

-Elcano challenge on Dres!

-Bridge from KSC to the Runway Island.

-Circumnavigation of Laythe with a Submarine.

-Create an SRB SSTO.

-Reach velocities of over 150 Km/s

-Reach velocities of over 200 Km/s

-Science Lab to Eve's surface and back out into Eve Orbit.

-A Kerbin-wide land communications grid.

-10,000 M/S in any atmosphere.

-Visit all Kerbinside Bases in one flight.

-Meet up with an impacting asteroid with a plane (may not be possible due to loading and physics range).

Let's get working!

(Oh, and pics or it never happened)

Edited by DMSP

My goal for 1.0.5 is to get to every planet and Mun within 1 save game. Something I've never done before. In fact some moons of Jool I've never been to at all.

Good luck!

I have a suggestion:

-Get a rocket to land on Eeloo. But using the Stayputnik probe, and no reaction wheels.

Added!

-A Dres colony.

OFFENDED!

As the duly appointed Dres holiday representative (see avatar) I would like to point out that while tourists are encouraged to visit our beautiful and tranquil* planet any colonisation requires permission, in order to prevent overcrowding. We know it's all wonderful here, but it won't be if everyone rushes to join us. Therefore we must unfortunately request that potential colonists bugger off await their visas before occupying permanent settlements.

Remember, "Scenic Dres - we want your money, not your sewage".

(*off-mic* See - that's how you become a rep, brilliant tags like that, I told you it would be a waste of money to hire a marketing company)

[* "Tranquil" is not the same as "boring", thank you very much]

Edited by Pecan

Considering only things I think are possible but that I haven't seen done:

A Grand Tour without orbital rendezvous. This is a stricter constraint than no docking, it prohibits leaving anything behind anywhere and returning to it. There's no reason for it to be impossible, but without ISRU it would take an immense and complex craft. To start with, consider what it would take to make a craft capable of Kerbin-Eve-Tylo-Kerbin (or Kerbin-Tylo-Eve-Kerbin), staging as you go but never docking or refuelling. Now that we have ISRU it may be a lot easier than it was, but I've yet to see it attempted.

Reaching Eve orbit from the bottom of its ocean. This wasn't really practical before 1.0.5, so there's a good chance to be the first.

Aviation on the Sun, with cheats. I don't think it's possible without the "Ignore Max Temperature" cheat or overpowered mod parts. Even with those cheats it's going to be a decent challenge.

E-class landing on and launch from most bodiies. Tylo and Eve will be the major challenges of course.

You mean, building a connected string of orbital mass to complete circle Kerbol? Good gravy, I can't even imagine how many launches that would take... O.O

They don't have to be connected. It's be like a geosynchronous comsat array - several satellites with the same orbital period that can bounce signals all over the globe.

Only the original dyson sphere concept was many, many satellites in solar orbit with massive solar arrays, which could beam their power (microwave or laser) to receivers that needed it. So for kerbal you'd start with an equatorial orbit, and start launching satellites into a predetermined orbit around the Sun. Until they have a dyson ring. More could be added to inclined orbits, all the way to polar orbits.

For the scientifically nitpicky, the dyson sphere satellites were actually not in a typical orbit, but would be held in place suspended by the pressure of electromagnetic radiation (light) on their freaking massive solar collectors. KSP does not model this solar wind.

Anyone who does this would either have to be ridiculously patient or use hyperedit. But they'd have the first kerbals to achieve the status of Type II Civilization.

They would also have a lot of useless stuff on solar orbit, unless they used KSP-Interstellar microwave power transmitters. Then they could own everything.

A Grand Tour without orbital rendezvous. This is a stricter constraint than no docking, it prohibits leaving anything behind anywhere and returning to it. There's no reason for it to be impossible, but without ISRU it would take an immense and complex craft. To start with, consider what it would take to make a craft capable of Kerbin-Eve-Tylo-Kerbin (or Kerbin-Tylo-Eve-Kerbin), staging as you go but never docking or refuelling. Now that we have ISRU it may be a lot easier than it was, but I've yet to see it attempted.

The grand tour thing is not terribly hard. Just add some disposable stages to a go anywhere ISRU craft that are dumped on Eve and single stage the rest of the way with refueling. With no refueling it's probably impossible. No one has done a non-refueling grand tour period since 1.0, but a few people including me are working on it. My ship seems to still work in 1.0.5.

Some others:

Stock Eve and Duna aerial circumnavigations - both with and without ISRU on the craft.

Underwater colonies (probably coming soon)

A submersible spaceplane - great for the aforementioned underwater colonies on Laythe.

Stock electric propeller aircraft (okay probably this has been done before but afaik not since 1.0)

Space elevator on Gilly - only 42km high, this is possibly doable with mods that increase physics distance and add longer parts.

I know this probably doesn't count, but the Interstellar mod makes a lot of these things quite easy. The best thing would be to create a huge array of power relays in low solar orbit, which would get their power from the sun and also reactors, and beam it anywhere in the solar system. With this, we have a dyson ring. Next, the best combination possible, providing you have adequate power beamed to everywhere in the system, would be to create a spaceplane, using a thermal turbojet for thrust in atmosphere, meaning no fuel is required, and a plasma thruster set to quantum vacuum mode in space, so no fuel is required either. Thus, you will only have to carry a small amount of fuel for that point where the atmosphere is too thin for the turbojet, but still in atmosphere (so quantum vacuum thruster won't work). The thermal turbojet does not require oxygen since it doesn't combust anything, so it'll work in any atmosphere, and theoretically, you now have an SSTE (Single Stage to Everywhere)!

Of course, if you do this in career mode there will still be a challenge: Getting enough money to fund all this!:)

Edited by A35K

Please explain what you mean by Eloo without reaction wheels? Getting there? landing? Staying upright?
All three I assume. Flight without reaction wheels isn't that hard, just make sure you take a gimballing engine, and optionally some monopropellant and RCS. It's just rarely done because reaction wheels are so ubiquitous. (Outside of RO and other mods that nerf them).

Similarly, if you pick a few random celestial bodies and visit them in that order, there's a decent chance you're the first person to do that. More likely if you increase the number. Chances are it's not all that hard, it just hasn't been done before because a mission like Gilly-Eeloo-Dres would be an oddball thing to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.