F1rst Snow!

Interplanetary Engineer

[quote name='Fisk02'][quote name='Kaboom!']You do not want to experience one. They're like a hurricane, but 1000x worse, and it rains so much that floods and mudslides do more damage than the storm itself.[/QUOTE]
Holy crap![/QUOTE]

I have experienced neither a hurricane nor a typhoon but I do know the only true difference is their location, NOT their intensity.

[url]http://www.diffen.com/difference/Hurricane_vs_Typhoon[/url]:
[QUOTE]A cyclone is any mass of air that spirals around a low pressure center. It is an organized collection of thunderstorms embedded in a swirling mass of air. In general, both typhoons and hurricanes are tropical cyclones but differ in their locations. The difference between hurricane and typhoon is that tropical cyclones in the west Pacific are called Typhoons and those in the Atlantic and east Pacific Ocean are called Hurricanes. It's the longitude that matters.[/QUOTE]

If you don't believe that link use google to find another. They'll all tell you the same. A hurricane can even become a typhoon and vice versa.
[url]http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-typhoon-what-happens-when-tropical-cyclone-crosses-international[/url]:
[QUOTE]For example, 2014's Hurricane Genevieve formed as a tropical storm in the eastern Pacific Basin and strengthened to a hurricane in the Central Pacific basin as it continued its journey west. However, as soon as it crossed the International Date Line (180° W Longitude), it became Typhoon Genevieve. It continued to strengthen and became Super Typhoon Genevieve.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tex_NL']I have experienced neither a hurricane nor a typhoon but I do know the only true difference is their location, NOT their intensity.

[URL]http://www.diffen.com/difference/Hurricane_vs_Typhoon[/URL]:

If you don't believe that link use google to find another. They'll all tell you the same. A hurricane can even become a typhoon and vice versa.
[URL]http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-typhoon-what-happens-when-tropical-cyclone-crosses-international[/URL]:[/QUOTE]The geography is what makes a typhoon so deadly. Think about it. The American East Coast is flat, so little erosion or flooding occurs. But the Filipinos have it different. They are covered in mountains. Mudslides are inevitable. They kill more than the storm.

Well I did wish for a white christmas in a different thread...

That said, it does feel like it could come down any minute. It's pretty cold right now.

Btw, judging from the picture and the building style of the houses, I'd say you live in the same country as I!

it snowed twice but it already melted. we really dont get that much snow, couple heavy falls a year and a lot of light ones like we had a few days ago. i know last year we had a couple heavy snowfalls in late fall, and then nothing till febuary, where we had a couple more medium to heavy snowfalls. of course south east alaska is all about the rain. we make people from seattle look like fremen.

Winnipeg, Canada. There's been snow covering the ground here for four days now. What is fun though, is that the company I do work for has recently hired a person from Bangladesh and one from Brazil, both immigrated in the last four months. They are aghast, and have absolutely no idea what is in store for them!

I read, albeit a couple decades ago, that this city of mine has the greatest temperature variance during the year. In the summer it can get to +34 degrees celsius, and in the winter -36 (not including windchill factors). Some call us tough, but most call us stupid!

[quote name='justidutch']Winnipeg, Canada. There's been snow covering the ground here for four days now. What is fun though, is that the company I do work for has recently hired a person from Bangladesh and one from Brazil, both immigrated in the last four months. They are aghast, and have absolutely no idea what is in store for them!

I read, albeit a couple decades ago, that this city of mine has the greatest temperature variance during the year. In the summer it can get to +34 degrees celsius, and in the winter -36 (not including windchill factors). Some call us tough, but most call us stupid![/QUOTE]

I feel you man... Here in Quebec its pretty much the same...

I used to love it when I was a teen, I used to go snowboarding every single week. Then, when I gol older, I stopped snowboarding, but I got a Subaru WRX. Soooooo much fun drifting everywhere in the snow! But then life (read: my ex gf.) happened, ruined me completely, I now drive an old Honda Civic... and I haven't started snowboarding again. So I now properly hate winter! XD

Got some snow today and yesterday here in Belgium. Very small amounts of course and it melted as soon as it hit the ground. Still, snow.

Also, canadians, norwegians and other people further up north then me will laugh at this, but it's starting to get friggin cold here...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.