Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 28--and the answer to Angelo's question is...

Mister Dilsby

3 minutes ago, kookoo_gr said:

what is a minmustini? something like a martini?

If I were making one at home (and later i might) it would be,

• 3/5 measure gin (preferably something with a good clean taste like New Kamsterdam or Khendrik's... maybe not Kanqueray, which I think would compete with the other ingredients) 
  • 1/5 measure dry vermouth (none of this super-pretentious "call somebody in France and ask them to hold the bottle up to the phone" junk. It's in the recipe for a reason.)
  • 1/5 measure Midori, for green color

Shake with ice (Methane ice if you can get it, H2O if you can't) and strain. Garnish with, what else, a sprig of mint. Obey all local laws and ordinances, and be sure to choose a designated pilot. 

1 minute ago, smjjames said:

Not going to report you guys or anything, but not sure what the forum's policy is on talking about liquor. Though you've gotten away with 'hydrazine' and drunk kerbals, so......

If you did see a potential violation of the Forum Guidelines I hope you would report it, whether it's in one of my posts or someone else's. I do my best to follow those guidelines and keep the rest of the thread clean as well. Here's the section on Forbidden Content, available any time by clicking "guidelines" in the page header:

2.2 Forbidden content
Messages which contain, discuss or link to the following are explicitly forbidden:
[snip]
c. Adult content, such as nudity, sexually suggestive or explicit images, gore and drugs;

I don't believe that Rule 2.2c is meant to prohibit the mention of legal alcoholic beverages, consumed by adults in a responsible fashion. Long-time readers will note that while this (and many other threads) make reference to kerbals consuming "hydrazine" or another beverage with similar effects, Kerbfleet always models responsible behavior. Nobody, but NOBODY stands a watch or pilots a craft under the influence!

But as for after the flight--well, we need look no further than NASA and the US Navy. If you visit USS Intrepid you can see on display a prescription for 'medicinal' whiskey, written by the ship's surgeon for recovered astronaut Gus Grissom. :) 

Transcript!

VAL: Engineering, report!
BILL: This-is-awesome!
CLAUSELLE: Formidable!
BILL: Yeah, that too!
...all ten drills and both ISRUs are working.  Concentration here is close to ten percent!
So it'll fill up pretty fast, all things considered, but we'll still be here a while.  Probably a couple of weeks.

New page:

VAL: Set first watch, I have the deck.  Chief Engineer, you may 'splice the main strut'.
BILL: Whoo hoo!
DILSBY: For all hands not on watch, tots will be served in Hab Four!  Or if you prefer, you're free to take some-
JEB: -shore leave!
[JEB RUNS OUT OF THE INTREPID, SHOUTING-]
SHOOOOOOORE LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAVE!!!

New page:

JEB: [In the far distance, in the air] Wheeeee!!
DILSBY: [From the top of the Intrepid] Just remember where we parked!
LISA: [Also on the top of the Intrepid] Would you like a minmustini, mister Dilsby?
DILSBY: I would, Lisa!
*CLINK!*
I most definitely would!

*END TRANSCRIPT*

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

6 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

And before we have a discussion on evaporation in vacuum that rivals the infamous "kerbulan gun recoil problem", let's just make it canon that standard-issue Kerbfleet cocktail glasses are pressurized, and feature a convenient port that interfaces with the EVA suit :) 

Well of course.  Standard canteens.  They were filled inside the ship so have its pressure, and just plug into a drinking tube in the gas mask helmet.  With only a slight taste of mustard gas Minmus dust that accumulated in the end of the tube.  I've had many drinks light that.  Sadly, just desalinated sea water, not booze, but the system is tried and true.

10 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

That would be Clauselle, the French engineering prodigy.

Happy Concerned landings!

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Well the ??? Is Clauselle of course, as the italicization means it's pronounced 'form-i-dah-bluh' and not 'form-id-ah-bull'.

Thank you too!

6 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Also,    red ballon and not a boy :) 

Err... I don't get it.  Sorry! :)

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Err... I don't get it.  Sorry! :)

That's OK, that's kind of a second-level way to tell them apart. I wouldn't expect a reader to have a crew roster and branch-of service reference in front of them. But if they did--only engineers wear red uniforms and speak with red speech balloons. There are three engineers aboard Intrepid: two are boy kerbs (Bill and Nimzo) and one is Clauselle. :) But like I said (and have said before) it's bad practice to expect everyone to remember that kind of thing no matter how famous the comic gets, that's why I had Clauselle say something French. But since that's also an English word (sort of) I can understand the confusion, and if even the Official Transcriptizer of Kerbfleet missed it, it's a good note that I need to be a bit clearer. 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Long-time readers will note that while this (and many other threads) make reference to kerbals consuming "hydrazine" or another beverage with similar effects, Kerbfleet always models responsible behavior. Nobody, but NOBODY stands a watch or pilots a craft under the influence!

And as shown in the 'Kerbreathalyzer scan from Bob Kerman' experiment during Eve:Order Zero, all space flights are well-equipped for this sort of eventuality ;)

26 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

That's OK, that's kind of a second-level way to tell them apart. I wouldn't expect a reader to have a crew roster and branch-of service reference in front of them. But if they did--only engineers wear red uniforms and speak with red speech balloons. There are three engineers aboard Intrepid: two are boy kerbs (Bill and Nimzo) and one is Clauselle. :) But like I said (and have said before) it's bad practice to expect everyone to remember that kind of thing no matter how famous the comic gets, that's why I had Clauselle say something French. But since that's also an English word (sort of) I can understand the confusion, and if even the Official Transcriptizer of Kerbfleet missed it, it's a good note that I need to be a bit clearer. 

Oh, I see!

I actually remembered the character, but not the name.  That is, I knew this was the French girl engineer with red speech balloons, and remembered some of what had happened to her before, but not the name.  That's just because I'm bad with names, everywhere.  Oh, and I recognized that that was the French version of the word. :)

I probably won't use these images in the comic because it interrupts the flow of where i want to go next, but I thought they looked pretty good so here they are anyway--unpacking the rover so Sarge can drive Melbe out to collect some Science!

Because there isn't head room for the driver, we have to drop it from the forward ramp uncrewed...

aRBsAXb.png

..Sarge hops into the seat as it rolls down the ramp...

SgqhEPV.png

he's in!

I0OUQ7y.png

"Offer you a ride, ma'am?"

giOmmKe.png

And away they go!

lrKA3Mg.png

Mining's going well. Planning to shift back to Kerbin for a bit while we refuel.

8 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Because there isn't head room for the driver, we have to drop it from the forward ramp uncrewed...

I tried that the other day with a rover on Duna (for headroom reasons as well), and it promptly started rolling (slowly at first) down the slight incline I'd parked my ship on. Slowly at first in this case means slightly faster than running speed when I got my closest kerbal almost close enough to jump on. I tried to jetpack him close enough enter the command seat from the air, but that just got me a ragdolled kerbal and that rover ended up strewn around the valley about a click from where I had landed (as they tend to do on Duna with me for some reason).

20 minutes ago, FyunchClick said:

that rover ended up strewn around the valley about a click from where I had landed (as they tend to do on Duna with me for some reason).

I hear you. This was the first rover drop before F9:

695Pkkz.png

Somehow the docking port jr. on the rover exploded due to a 0.3m/s "collision" with the ramp. I think this was because I was still in the process of cycling POVs to take the picture. I lingered too long on Jeb (who is indeed still out on the flats a few hundred meters from the ship, doing ice angels or something). Also I landed too close to the old mine base so when I [ or ] I often go through there as well. Anyway, F5 early and often, especially with this many parts in physics range!

Meanwhile, back at...

CUPPTxe.png

t0SPuIO.png

247lH5b.png

So yeah, it's time to do a little orbital cleanup while Intrepid refuels. Besides the "Minmus Four" (Kurt, Melgee (aka Not-Kurt), Dongun and Billy-Bobby) there's also the crew of Dwagonfly, the pilot I left aboard Kranefly, and a gaggle of scientists and pilots from the various decommissioned moon bases who have all congregated at Micarooni Station.

Since we're running life support now I'll need to bring all those kerbs back to the surface except for the "lighthouse keepers" at Micarooni. Gregmore's mission will install food, recycling and greenhouses to keep them supplied. Kranefly and Dwagonfly will be de-orbited, and I'm working on a new high-endurance mining cruiser class to replace them. And then... we'll see :) 

3 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

And then... we'll see :) 

Yes.  Yes we will.

That was great with Gene looking at a page from E: O0.  And very nice effect of 'pulling Gregmore out of the shadow'.

Samantha is cool, but Gregmore is... here too.  :D

Happy Concerned landings!