Is this alternate solar system possible?

ChrisSpace

27 minutes ago, fredinno said:

Not needed. We changed it to the object being captured earlier, on the PM thread :P

Nuuuu! My theeeoryyyyyy!

XD

Although, exactly how was this object captured? The velocity needs to have been transferred to something else, a third object. There's nothing there.

Can we use the starship impact theory instead? Reason being, there seem to be less scientific plotholes like the capture theory's third-object capture problem or the how-would-an-object-be-captured-in-the-outer-Orion-arm-on-a-trajectory-out-of-the-galactic-centre-and-not-be-moving-too-fast problem. :)

Edited by Findthepin1
Not intending to be rude or anything

19 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

Nuuuu! My theeeoryyyyyy!

XD

Although, exactly how was this object captured? The velocity needs to have been transferred to something else, a third object. There's nothing there.

Can we use the starship impact theory instead? Reason being, there seem to be less scientific plotholes like the capture theory's third-object capture problem or the how-would-an-object-be-captured-in-the-outer-Orion-arm-on-a-trajectory-out-of-the-galactic-centre-and-not-be-moving-too-fast problem. :)

Yeah, since a starship is TOTALLY more realistic. I was going with this:http://www.astrobio.net/news-exclusive/galactic-habitable-zones/

More than 95 percent of stars in the Galaxy, says Gonzalez, wouldn’t be able to support habitable planets simply because their rotation is not synchronized with the rotation of the galaxy’s spiral arms. Add all the other factors involved in keeping a solar system habitable, and it seems that the odds of finding another solar system in a Galactic Habitable Zone are close to impossible.

Not to mention stars in the Galactic Core are also uninhabitable due to the high supernova level and stellar density there.

So my notion is that complex life is rare in the galaxy, and civilizations rarer still (and only starting to emerge now, as the galaxy gets less explody.

Either way, I would expect the ejection to be from a extremely energetic collision on the outer rim of the galactic core that broke a Mars-sized planet down to its core (and almost destroyed it) before being slug out, 6 billion years or so ago (and also slug out any moons). It then went into an elliptical orbit around the galaxy, before entering the Sol-Nibiru system. It would then go into a highly elliptical orbit around the binary system after Sol causes its capture by Nibiru, gaining momentum (thus solving the 3 body problem, I think. I need confirmation of this, making a new thread now as we speak.) into a highly elliptical orbit. Interplanetary gas drag and gravity assists from planetesimals causes the orbit to lose eccentricity until it is at its present orbit.

Edited by fredinno

Done!

(UNNAMED YET): 21 Luna OTL masses, 4300 km radius

This planet is barely outside the habitable zone, traveling practically on the inner edge. It has an average temperature of 120 degrees Celsius and air pressure of 4.5 atm at sea level. It has no moons. Its day lasts 20 hours. The equator of the planet is completely dry. Above 15 or so degrees north/south, the clear equatorial skies become overcast and windy, then turn into thunderstorms. At 25 degrees north/south, the rain can reach the ground. At 55 degrees north/south, the land slopes down to sea level and the rivers meet the planet's two oceans. At 60 degrees north/south, the thunderstorms stop (because the water in the seas is now cool enough not to boil) and the clouds thin somewhat, sometimes but not commonly letting sunlight reach the surface at any given point. Sunlight that shines down on scalding seas. This pattern continues until the poles, which have an average temperature of 91 degrees Celsius at sea level. The coldest point on the planet's surface is on a montane plateau (6.8 km above sea level, 67 degrees Celsius, 82 degrees south) on an island centred at 76 degrees south. The hottest point on the planet's surface is in a dead east-west tectonic rift near the equator. That is 3.6 kilometres below sea level, but it has no water due to being on average 151 degrees Celsius. The planet is geologically dead. There are no craters because of the thick atmosphere and water. The planet has microbial life in the oceans, becoming more advanced the further polewards one goes, up to sea plants and animals as advanced as arthropods or even small fish. The atmosphere consists of 56% nitrogen, 29% carbon dioxide, 8% water vapour, 4% oxygen, 3% other. It has a weak magnetic field, strong enough to keep the atmosphere from eroding but not strong enough to let multicellular life live on land.

[0.5 G] PLANET (0.6°) {0.15 AU}

---------------------------------------------

Okay. I think 0.5g is reasonable for a planet of 21 lunar masses and 4300 km radius. I don't know about the orbital radius because I can't find information for Nibiru's habitable zone. It's supposed to be just outside the inner edge of the habitable zone. I will just call it 0.15 AU until I can get a better number. Sorry this is a bit late, I have been doing some stuff and things, and had to deal with an ice storm IRL, so haven't had too much time to work on this. The other thing is, I still don't know what to call this thing. This planet. I want its name to reflect its environment. Any ideas for its name?

Edited by Findthepin1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

Nothing has been done on the nibiru system for a while, we ought to work on it.

The Nibriu system (WIP still, AFAIK) is basically the KSP Solar System with  few changes.

1 hour ago, Andem said:

The Nibriu system (WIP still, AFAIK) is basically the KSP Solar System with  few changes.

No, it isn't. It's actually vastly different. (I know, I'm the 2nd in charge here).

Only problem is that neither I or ChrisSpace can support this project right now. Thus, this project is on HIATUS.

Check back in 2 months. Thank you.

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2015 at 11:49 AM, fredinno said:

Make the moon-Earth a double system, and make the rest of the Solar system less teeming with life?

Well since freddino gets to make random stuff, I might as well give it a try.

Make Nemesis a planet twice pluto's distance from the sol with devilishly fiendish aliens that seed virus and plaque causing bacteria throughout the system. They also mine comets for hydrogen and oxygen, leaving the metal components in a ball at the center, they compile these into balls every now and then and divert them across the orbits of inner planets, causing the occassional mass extintion event. The also collect huge amounts of lithium and and boron and gel them up hurling them into sol cause spikes of solar activity for 100,000s of years that double solar activity.

2 hours ago, PB666 said:

Well since freddino gets to make random stuff, I might as well give it a try.

Make Nemesis a planet twice pluto's distance from the sol with devilishly fiendish aliens that seed virus and plaque causing bacteria throughout the system. They also mine comets for hydrogen and oxygen, leaving the metal components in a ball at the center, they compile these into balls every now and then and divert them across the orbits of inner planets, causing the occassional mass extintion event. The also collect huge amounts of lithium and and boron and gel them up hurling them into sol cause spikes of solar activity for 100,000s of years that double solar activity.

That's too ridiculous. I know @ChrisSpace.

IN any case, would you like to become a part of this team?

6 hours ago, PB666 said:

They also mine comets for hydrogen and oxygen

What a strange fantasy. Why catch the comets, while they have enough icy moons and iceteroids for that?

6 hours ago, PB666 said:

The also collect huge amounts of lithium and and boron and gel them up hurling them into sol cause spikes of solar activity for 100,000s of years that double solar activity.

They could also make a belt of beryllium dust around the Sun making it burn hotter.

22 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

What a strange fantasy. Why catch the comets, while they have enough icy moons and iceteroids for that?

They could also make a belt of beryllium dust around the Sun making it burn hotter.

Comets would be good for the inner solar system, in theory- assuming you could easily mine quickly enough in the harsh cometary conditions.

Beryllium, Lithium, and Boron are the rarest light elements in the universe. Too rare for any possibility here....

1 hour ago, fredinno said:

Beryllium, Lithium, and Boron are the rarest light elements in the universe. Too rare for any possibility here....

I just followed the original assumption. :sealed:

Also, how we can know: maybe Li, Be and B (i.e. the lightest elements, presumably the most widespread) are so rare in the Universe because the ancient intergalactic civilisation of Forerunners spent them massacring each other's stars.
Look, honorable PB666 believes that we cannot exclude this theory.

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Also, how we can know: maybe Li, Be and B (i.e. the lightest elements, presumably the most widespread) are so rare in the Universe because the ancient intergalactic civilisation of Forerunners spent them massacring each other's stars.

look can we not try to deliberately derail this thread

On 2016-07-19 at 11:12 PM, kerbiloid said:

No, we know it's because Stars can't make them, except in supernovae.

Changing that would change the phshyical laws of the universe. bad idea.

On 2016-07-20 at 1:16 PM, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

What do you mean?

It's not really derailing, let him be...

• 2 months later...

Fascinating thread. Just found it, so have certainly not read the whole first post, much less the whole thread. But since you guys seem to be keen on striking a reasonable balance of "believable" sci fi, a few questions that arose for me in skimming over post #1.

1. The planet that is closest to the star: is it actually tenable for an object that small to have a stable orbit that close to a star?

2. Venus: intelligent life, but "no animals." That just doesn't seem believable at all.

30 minutes ago, Diche Bach said:

Fascinating thread. Just found it, so have certainly not read the whole first post, much less the whole thread. But since you guys seem to be keen on striking a reasonable balance of "believable" sci fi, a few questions that arose for me in skimming over post #1.

1. The planet that is closest to the star: is it actually tenable for an object that small to have a stable orbit that close to a star?

2. Venus: intelligent life, but "no animals." That just doesn't seem believable at all.

1. I don't know. We probably simulated that in US2 or something to check.

2. IIRC, the Venusians weren't actually from there. They colonized it and brought only what they needed to survive. So, no animals, because the "Venusians" didn't see the need for them. I may be wrong, will have to read through the rest of the thread again to be sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.