The Munar Crusade

Well, here is the start of my entry - I'll upload full pictures and 2 videos of landings later on when I'm comfortable that it won't explode mid flight.

First part: The man

E70C509D5DFB1BA91B54847EC7E75D475A1B4430

Second part: His house (yes, i'm lifting an entire house with 2.5k+ parts into space)

6412196FE1B8A06D6F7BE70348CEF34C78500650

31 minutes ago, Hexlord said:

Well, here is the start of my entry - I'll upload full pictures and 2 videos of landings later on when I'm comfortable that it won't explode mid flight.

First part: The man

E70C509D5DFB1BA91B54847EC7E75D475A1B4430

Second part: His house (yes, i'm lifting an entire house with 2.5k+ parts into space)

6412196FE1B8A06D6F7BE70348CEF34C78500650

Wow. That's quite a house you've got there. Someone put a church on the Mun, but it was comparatively petite. 

Those look like lifting stages only. What are you doing for your transfer burn? 

The man doesn't look terribly happy. What did you use for his head? 

I'll be adding a heap of boosters for lifting to help the liquid fuel rockets save dv, and these rockets you see now will be used to lift and transfer to the mun.

His head consists of: (Head) Mobile processing lab, (eyes) 2x orange round fuel tanks, (eyes) 2x docking ports, (nose) 1x electric battery (400 charge), (mouth) 5x photovoltaic panels

-edit- and a reaction wheel on top of his head. Has trouble turning without it lol..

Edited by Hexlord

5 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

So you just launch anything cool to the Mun and you win?

More or less, yes. It's not meant to be a terribly difficult challenge. Mostly it's just an excuse to send ridiculous things to Kerbin's drab satellite. 

There are a few regulations, but it's pretty wide open. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I'm essentially running KSP on a potato, so limited part count is the name of the game.  In lieu of a giant sprawling base, I tried for creativity instead.  Inspired by the V'ger of Star Trek past, the Kerbals have discovered a lost ship and a monument on the Mun.  They immediately decided to start a cult, and flew a temple of their own out there, followed by the entire space program staff.   The lander is the one we were supposed to rescue in Foxsters Munar Marooned Challenge. Hail V'ger!

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Jhawk1099 said:

@Ehco Corrallo Why aren't I on the board? I know its been a while but I just realized. 

Probably because I'm a horrible person, and I haven't really had time to respond to all of the great entries here. You're on the board now. Feel free to pick up a badge from the OP. 

Jhawk1099's Score: 3 Episodes of Munar Awesomeness. 

On 2/20/2016 at 5:52 AM, Rhomphaia said:

Does this count?

Unfortunately, no. It's an awesome mission, (gotta love SRBs) but it's not quite as silly and excessive as the (admittedly murky) mission statement requested. I'm happy to discuss it (lest you think I'm draconian, or something) but otherwise, I have to decline the submission. 

I apologize for the ludicrously belated response. 

On 4/9/2016 at 3:03 PM, KerbalCorgi said:

I'm doing mine on this thread here:

and it's probably gonna take a while. 

Looks like you've got a good start, though. I'll be keeping an eye on this...

Edited by Ehco Corrallo

This looks like a lot of fun. I'll be attempting it over the next few weeks in a heavily modded 1.1 save (well, as heavily modded as I can currently make it). I plan on launching a complete research program to the Mun. I will explore every biome and gather every unit of science. I will place numerous bases across the Mun's surface, and several stations in its orbit. I will also create a large selection of transports for both crew and resources. Basically, I'll be doing a mini Jool 500 but on the Mun instead of the Jool system. Prepare for the MEDUSA Program...

Edited by eloquentJane

3 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

This looks like a lot of fun. I'll be attempting it over the next few weeks in a heavily modded 1.1 save (well, as heavily modded as I can currently make it). I plan on launching a complete research program to the Mun. I will explore every biome and gather every unit of science. I will place numerous bases across the Mun's surface, and several stations in its orbit. I will also create a large selection of transports for both crew and resources. Basically, I'll be doing a mini Jool 500 but on the Mun instead of the Jool system. Prepare for the MEDUSA Program...

Sounds cool! 

Science or Career mode? Just curious. 

8 hours ago, Ehco Corrallo said:

Sounds cool! 

Science or Career mode? Just curious. 

I'm doing it in Career, but in pretty much the most sandbox-y way possible. Science, funds, and reputation are all on maximum starting amounts and maximum rewards, just so that I can get started with the MEDUSA Program right away. I'd do it in my current career world but that's a stock world and I want to use mods for this.

I present to you 1 Tower 1 Mun!!

I have made a base on the Mun consisting of a kerbal tower, small pod, crew ship, Coms tower and science/hab lab. I would of built more but the lag so was so bad, even in 1.1!

For some reason my Imgur wont sort my 350 images right and I cant fix that many. But its mostly in the right order.

On 4/19/2016 at 5:45 PM, Dfthu said:

I present to you 1 Tower 1 Mun!!

I have made a base on the Mun consisting of a kerbal tower, small pod, crew ship, Coms tower and science/hab lab. I would of built more but the lag so was so bad, even in 1.1!

For some reason my Imgur wont sort my 350 images right and I cant fix that many. But its mostly in the right order.

That album of launches and failures is pretty much a symphony to trial and error and eventual success. Looks great. You're going on the board. 

Dfthu's Score: 1 Tower, 1 Mun. 

I will take part in this challenge.

Initial premise:  One kilometer tall Arkingthaad Tower Lander.  

#EDIT:  For reference, here's what mine old towers looked like:

xh0EGVF.png

A4vO7Vf.png

Jebediah for size reference.  The next tower should be, hrm, fifteen to thirty times taller.

Edited by Whackjob
das fo toes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.