Shuttle

Thanks for the pictures, couple of follow ups:

What altitude are you de-orbiting from, and what periapsis are you setting?  If you are de-orbiting from say 500km, then you don't really wan't your periapsis much under 47km or you will lose control.  If you're coming in from 1-200km you can go lower, but you want to try and bleed off as much speed as possible in the upper sections of the atmosphere.  Shuttle's slamming into thick atmosphere at speed have a tendency to lose control without amazing balance or lots of SAS/RCS.  With that in mind:

Definitely install RCS, only the most finely balanced shuttles can de-orbit without it, but you'll need it for orbital operations anyway so may as well put it in now and use the increased stability.

Install one large SAS ring at the front of the cargo bay if you haven't already (clip it into the cockpit using the offset tool if you want to hide it).

If you are still having issues then post your craft file and I can have a tinker and see if I can help out some more.

Thanks

SM

Billyk88,

FWIW, my shuttle has a body flap for additional pitch authority. My wings and strakes also have some incidence built in and I have 2 vertical tailfins merged so the rudder "splits" with braking, acting like an airbrake. That's all I can think of that I'm doing differently. I don't use RCS or reaction wheels on reentry and mine holds attitude nicely.

Kwb1_zpsp1z6pltw.jpg

Kwb2_zpstghylgu4.jpg

HTHs,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.