Make a fake KSP mod.

Kerbal Time Saver Mod (KTSM):  Has a picture of Vicky Laurence dressed as Mama pop up on your screen after you've played the game for an hour. She pops up as a reminder every 15 minutes after that until you shut down the game...

Kerbal System Manager

Micromanages your PC hardware and reduces your CPU clock to 2 hertz, and treats your ram as an 8bit shift register.

All graphics are rendered by your hard drive, and data is stored on your PSU.

Random Fuel levels RFL: It sets it so your fuel levels are completely random. Requires KRC and RFT

Random Fuel tanks RFT: It sets so all fuel tanks are random It requires RFL and KRC

If you do not have the mods needed your save will go boom and your computer will get a virus and every email you send gives the person a virus and every webpage you go on will be infected with a virus

3 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

Kerbals' Spaced Program. Your kerbals are not interested in going into space, but getting high. Can you find them a connection without encountering Notorious Norbert the Narc? ;)

Herbal Space Program works nicely for that as well.

On 07/03/2016 at 4:23 PM, cubinator said:

But orbits don't work in 4 dimensions, right?

Okay, Hmm...

So, we start with our 0th dimension- a point. Not much to do with that.

The first dimension (line), will propably represent the distance between the AP and the PE: one end of the line will be the AP, and the other end will be the PE.

The 2nd dimension will probably be a normal 2d projection of the orbit- a 2 dimensional ellipse (much like the orbit display in the Orbiter MFD).  orbit_mfd1.jpg

The 3rd dimension will give the orbit its tilt, as seen here:  2455-1_icone.jpg

But what will the 4th dimension add? Generally, every shape with a dimension consists of shapes from previous dimensions (3d cube out of 2d planes, 2d planes out of 1d lines, 1d lines out of 0d points, etc).

Let's try imaging this orbit as a circular, 2d plane (with a tilt, therefore giving it a 3rd dimension). The spacecraft/station follows the outer edge of the plane.

We need to think like this: to project an orbit into the 4th dimension, we need to literally make an orbit out of other damn orbits!

I'm starting to think that a diagram of this 4d orbit will look like a sphere encompassing Kerbin.

I don't know about the motion of the spacecraft itself, or how it will be completing that orbit, but I speculate that it will look stretched out, covering the circumference of the aforementioned 4d orbit. In short, the spacecraft will look like a circle that covers the 4d orbit "sphere's" circumference, contracting and expanding as it "bounces" (it actually inverts itself, but it looks like bouncing to an observer) from either side of the previously described 4d orbit. I don't even know how to describe this stuff.

I'm not even going to think about what happens to the Kerbol system bodies as the spacecraft orbits them. Leave that conversation out.

Good luck with your burns.

Edited by Matuchkin

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

Okay, Hmm...

So, we start with our 0th dimension- a point. Not much to do with that.

The first dimension (line), will propably represent the distance between the AP and the PE: one end of the line will be the AP, and the other end will be the PE.

The 2nd dimension will probably be a normal 2d projection of the orbit- a 2 dimensional ellipse (much like the orbit display in the Orbiter MFD).  orbit_mfd1.jpg

The 3rd dimension will give the orbit its tilt, as seen here:  2455-1_icone.jpg

But what will the 4th dimension add? Generally, every shape with a dimension consists of shapes from previous dimensions (3d cube out of 2d planes, 2d planes out of 1d lines, 1d lines out of 0d points, etc).

Let's try imaging this orbit as a circular, 2d plane (with a tilt, therefore giving it a 3rd dimension). The spacecraft/station follows the outer edge of the plane.

We need to think like this: to project an orbit into the 4th dimension, we need to literally make an orbit out of other damn orbits!

I'm starting to think that a diagram of this 4d orbit will look like a sphere encompassing Kerbin.

I don't know about the motion of the spacecraft itself, or how it will be completing that orbit, but I speculate that it will look stretched out, covering the 2d circumference of the aforementioned 4d orbit (it looks like a sphere, so it has a circumference). In short, the spacecraft will look like a circle that covers the 4d orbit "sphere's" circumference, contracting and expanding as it "bounces" (it actually inverts itself, but it looks like bouncing to an observer) from either side of the previously described 4d orbit. I don't even know how to describe this stuff.

I'm not even going to think about what happens to the Kerbol system bodies as the spacecraft orbits them. Leave that conversation out.

Good luck with your burns.

Tears*

;.;

Edited by Andem

Actually, I've read that due to the way spacetime works, orbits would not be stable in either 2 dimensions or 4 dimensions, kind of like the way knots don't work in 4D. I believe in 2d gravity is too strong, so objects would fall into the parent body, and in 4d gravity is too weak so objects would spiral away. So while you could technically make an object go at orbital velocity around a parent body, it would not stay stable except in 3 dimensions. Probably.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Actually, I've read that due to the way spacetime works, orbits would not be stable in either 2 dimensions or 4 dimensions, kind of like the way knots don't work in 4D. I believe in 2d gravity is too strong, so objects would fall into the parent body, and in 4d gravity is too weak so objects would spiral away. So while you could technically make an object go at orbital velocity around a parent body, it would not stay stable except in 3 dimensions. Probably.

I don't quite understand why the strength of gravity will vary in various dimensions. One can say, for example, that in a 2d environment an object will have substantially less mass than a 3d version of the same object, due to the proportions of a 2d shape related to the 3d version of that shape. But in reality, everything should have the same mass, density, etc, no matter what dimension they are in.

Also, I was talking about the shape of the orbit, not its stability. Though that is also interesting...

Edited by Matuchkin

1 minute ago, CliftonM said:

Try to stay on topic, please.  I really don't want this thread to be locked.  It's fun!

Yes, I was just thinking that. The subject of interdimensional gravity is for another thread, in Science & Spaceflight.

Keep Playing: If KSP has been idle for too long, this mod will play the sound of someone yelling at you to get back to work. It yells at you about different things depending on what you were doing when you left the game idle.

Keep Playing+: Uses your webcam to tell if you're looking at the game, and sternly tells you to watch your screen if you look away. If you try to turn down your volume, it plays Nyan Cat nonstop for an hour really loudly and disables all inputs. Also yells at you when you quit the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.