Order of Plantes in Grand Tour Contracts?

Quick question:  when doing a "grand tour" contract, do you have to visit the planets in the order listed or can you do them in the most convenient order?

Example:  I have 2 "grand tour" contracts, both called the "Duna 3 Course".  One wants me to fly-by Duna, Mun, and Ike, and the other wants me to flyby Duna, Ike, and Mun.  See the difference?  If I go in the order listed, the 1st contract requires 1.5 round trips between Kerbin and Duna (go to Duna, back to Mun, then back out to Ike).  OTOH, the 2nd contract can be done in just one round trip.  And if the order doesn't matter and luck of the draw holds true, I'll probably flyby Mun to start with on the way to Duna, then flyby Ike on the way to my Duna Pe.  So if order doesn't matter, I could do both of them at once just going to Duna without any need to return.

As you can see, this makes a fair amount of difference to the dV required by the ship.  So does the listed order of planets matter?

12 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

One wants me to fly-by Duna, Mun, and Ike, and the other wants me to flyby Duna, Ike, and Mun.

So does the listed order of planets matter?

I thought for sure that when the order mattered, the contract said so. Frequently they said "and finally, fly by XXXX" or whatnot. But I haven't done one since 1.0.4 at best, and probably earlier.

The order doesn't matter, other than the "finally" clause.

I believe that when it says "Do A, B, C and finally D", what it really means is "Have a craft in situation D, which has A, B, and C in its flight history."

I believe it even works if you did A, B, and C before accepting the contract.

23 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought for sure that when the order mattered, the contract said so. Frequently they said "and finally, fly by XXXX" or whatnot. But I haven't done one since 1.0.4 at best, and probably earlier.

Hmm,. I don't see any "finally" in there, nor anything specifying order, other than implying in by the order of the names of planets.

13 minutes ago, Snark said:

The order doesn't matter, other than the "finally" clause.

I believe that when it says "Do A, B, C and finally D", what it really means is "Have a craft in situation D, which has A, B, and C in its flight history."

Hmmm, I've already flown by Mun, Duna, and Ike before accepting the contracts, but they're still open.  Of course, I didn't do that with the same ship, which is what the contract calls for.

Just now, Geschosskopf said:

Hmm,. I don't see any "finally" in there, nor anything specifying order, other than implying in by the order of the names of planets.

Hmmm, I've already flown by Mun, Duna, and Ike before accepting the contracts, but they're still open.  Of course, I didn't do that with the same ship, which is what the contract calls for.

If there's no "finally", then the order totally doesn't matter.

And yes, it all has to be on one ship.

In 1.0.4 it did work as a bugged income source like Science Data ones by having a craft already visiting all stuff. I even had weird situation that when a contract asked for criteria A,B,C, I had a vessel X that did A and B but not C, and another vessel Y that only did C, when I switch from X to Y, suddenly the contract completed.

So I don't know...

8 hours ago, Snark said:

Yes you're right. I had a contract that nearly auto validate. I realized that my "Voyager" ship had already been on those other world before taking the contract. I was quite sad though...

PS : this was in 1.0.4, it may have been fixed in 1.0.5.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.