How to do simple animations? (Also request for tute)

So I want to attempt my first simple animation for a part I am creating...

Is it best to do it in Blender, or Unity?

Also, I know there are already several good KSP-specific modelling and texturing tutorials...But I havent seen anything on animation...???
Could someone try posting a beginner's one for simple animation? :)
Pretty PLEEZE??? :)

@Stone Blue

Do you know how to animate in Blender?  I am going to assume you do.

1. Setup animation with key framing in Blender.
  2. Import your model into Unity.  You can simply save the .blend into your Unity assets folder.
  3. Open your Unity project.  You should see your model in the assets folder.
  4. Click on it in the assets folder and go into the import options.
  5. Go into the rig tab and change the animation type to Legacy.
  6. Go into animations and change the animation name.v4pbSZz.png
  7. In the config add the following module:
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
		animationName = YOUR_ANIMATION_NAME
		startEventGUIName = WHATEVER YOU WANT AS THE START example: inflate module
		endEventGUIName = WHATEVER YOU WANT AS THE REVERSE example: deflate module
	}

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, CliftonM said:

@Stone Blue

Do you know how to animate in Blender?  I am going to assume you do.

Nope.. :) Thats where I would like to see a simple tute, for simple animation in Blender.... Most of the online tutes I can find, are geared toward animating complicated creatures/figures in HIGH resolution, new generation games...
And THANX for the rest of that info... That helps a lot... :)

14 hours ago, artwhaley said:

I second that I prefer to animate in Blender, then just import into Unity, for simple things at least.  What sort of part are you making?  

Thanx... Thats 2 votes for animating in Blender... I was kind of hoping that would be the case, since I've gotten a little more comfortable with Blender, and havent really delved into Unity hardly at all...

Basically, I need two animations... One that basically replicates the telescoping of a Communitron, and the 2nd, i have a "cover", that I'm thinking will vertically drop into the hole its covering, little more than the thickness of itself, then slide laterally into a "slot" near the top of the "hole",  out of sight....

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Nope.. :) Thats where I would like to see a simple tute, for simple animation in Blender.... Most of the online tutes I can find, are geared toward animating complicated creatures/figures in HIGH resolution, new generation games...
And THANX for the rest of that info... That helps a lot... :)

Thanx... Thats 2 votes for animating in Blender... I was kind of hoping that would be the case, since I've gotten a little more comfortable with Blender, and havent really delved into Unity hardly at all...

Basically, I need two animations... One that basically replicates the telescoping of a Communitron, and the 2nd, i have a "cover", that I'm thinking will vertically drop into the hole its covering, little more than the thickness of itself, then slide laterally into a "slot" near the top of the "hole",  out of sight....

I've been meaning to make some tutorials.  I'll get started right now!

1 hour ago, artwhaley said:

Do those two animations need to trigger separately?  Or will it be a single 'deploy' button that does both, retracting the cover and extending the antenna?

It does both.

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

4 hours ago, CliftonM said:

It does both.

Sorry, I should have used quotes in the first place. I was asking Stone if the two animations he wanted needed to be two animations, or one animation that moved two parts, to make sure we'd addressed his question correctly.  If he needs two separate animations, triggered by different part modules, it's a different animal.

Edited by artwhaley

On 12/22/2015 at 9:27 PM, artwhaley said:

Sorry, I should have used quotes in the first place. I was asking Stone if the two animations he wanted needed to be two animations, or one animation that moved two parts, to make sure we'd addressed his question correctly.  If he needs two separate animations, triggered by different part modules, it's a different animal.

I guess it would be considered one animation that moves two separate objects on the same part.

On 12/21/2015 at 3:20 PM, artwhaley said:

a single 'deploy' button that does both, retracting the cover and extending the antenna?

^^This..

On 12/21/2015 at 3:04 PM, CliftonM said:

Wait?...What?... Huh?...
Are you calling me an idiot???

j/k ... LOL... :D

THANX! ... I havent done any work on my part in a few days... I'll give this try later... :D

Edited by Stone Blue

38 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Wait?...What?... Huh?...
Are you calling me an idiot???

j/k ... LOL... :D

THANX! ... I havent done any work on my part in a few days... I'll give this try later... :D

I get it.  No, I'm just meaning for people who have NO CLUE.

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

I get it.  No, I'm just meaning for people who have NO CLUE.

No, its all good... :)  Title, as I'm sure you meant it too, fits right in with the Idiot's Guide brand of books & online guides, which is a PERFECT name for beginner's to pick up on in a Google search... :thumbsup:

Depends on what you are animating and if you are trying to get more than 1 animation in part.

For simple tasks - such as deploying 1-axis solar panel - blender is better (as it's easier). For emissives, lighting, complex or multiple animations you have no other choice but to do them in Unity.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.