What's your environmental policy

322997am

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 4:19 PM, 322997am said:

So what do you do environmentally? Do you have a policy that says no trash or smashing NERVs and rtgs. For me it's probably no trash and do not activate NERVs in atmosphere. Do you have any disposal methods of trash/NERVs/rtgs? I have a nuclear waste pile on minmus and a trash pile near the r&d building.

I put TAC Self Destruct on every booster and stage that won't fall back to Kerbin during ascent.  My way of solving Kessler syndrome. Besides, gratuitous explosions :).  I also have banned the use of radiators on Kerbin because their entire purpose is to pump heat into the atmosphere, thereby increasing global warming :D

9 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I put TAC Self Destruct on every booster and stage that won't fall back to Kerbin during ascent.  My way of solving Kessler syndrome. Besides, gratuitous explosions :).  I also have banned the use of radiators on Kerbin because their entire purpose is to pump heat into the atmosphere, thereby increasing global warming :D

That is actually not true. If you use radiators you are pumping heat but if you don't you'll be pumping fuel and nuclear waste instead. Is you do t use radiators then yip out will die thus doing more harm.

I drop solid rocket boosters into the bay, but my main stage boosters are all recovered by parachute + Stage Recovery since they are expensive.

I've got a fair number of LV-Ns, but most of them are on permanent 200t fuel tankers doing the run from Minmus refinery to LKO fuel depot.  I have a fleet of space planes (SSTO+M) using the same, but they land at the runway for refueling and cargo loading before heading straight out again.

My biggest vice is RTGs.  About 50% of my budget goes to them.  Can't get enough of that always-on power.  All the service trucks at KSC for driving kerbals around and connecting hoses to fuel up boosters with locally-sourced ore run on RTGs plus a small battery.  Spaceplanes carry two (plus a pile more in KIS cargo to deliver to orbit and bolt onto all the things), and every vehicle in space except the old satellite network have at least one.

I dump nuclear waste in the sea right outside of KSC.  I also conduct frequent nuclear weapons tests there with extremely high yield nuclear bombs, lower yield bombs are tested on Kerbkini atoll, the islands right outside of KSC.  I use nuclear pulse drives in kerbins' atmosphere along with smash-into-ground NERVA disposal.  But, I also have a strict policy of leaving no debris in orbit, it is bad for business you know; it might actually injure my kerbals (apparently unlike huge MGy levels of radiation exposure) and cost me insurance money.

the last stage of my rocket has always a drone core and parachutes and returns to kerbin.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/wypVb"><a href="//imgur.com/a/wypVb">reusable upper stage 2.5m</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My policy: I will not jettison debris while in a stable orbit around kerbin.  Kerbin is too busy to risk a collision (however small the odds may be).  As for nukes, you don't have to be that high in the atmosphere for them to become effective.  I have no problem with that.

My environmental policy is greatly influenced by frame rate.

Hence - any landed debris can be deleted, otherwise I cant fly anywhere near it - and it tends to accumulate in the places I want to fly.  Avoid space debris by deorbiting spent stages etc. And any debris that does get left in space stays in space until I remove it by gameplay missions rather than termination.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.