[1.10.0] Kerbal Krash System (0.5.1) 2020-08-05

EnzoMeertens

9 hours ago, damerell said:

As I read the above, it does this to stop empty tanks from exploding. This seems redundant with KKS on the scene to bend them into funny shapes, and I don't think it's a bug in KKS that if another mod makes a part's crash tolerance very hard it is then very hard to damage. That is exactly the behaviour I would expect.

That's what I thought... It makes no sense to use it then, if KKS does the same.

the purpose is so if tanks have combustible stuff, hit hard enough (say 20 m/s) then go boom due to the fuels inside, scaling explosionRadius by amount. with KKS installed along side, you have 5-19 m/s to dent, then 20 m/s boom.

when tank runs dry (explosion no KKS) you have 10,000 m/s to go boom. add in KKS and you have 5,000 to 20,000 to dent, 20,000 (impossible) to go boom. the 20,000 i can accept, means nothing. i can see an empty tank being less malleable, maybe 10+ m/s to dent, but all of <5,000 being immune to dent is too much :P 

edit: and wasnt saying /bug/ per sae, just conflict, 10-20000 range sjhould all be dentable, not just 5000-20000

Edited by anxcon

15 hours ago, anxcon said:

the purpose is so if tanks have combustible stuff, hit hard enough (say 20 m/s) then go boom due to the fuels inside, scaling explosionRadius by amount. with KKS installed along side, you have 5-19 m/s to dent, then 20 m/s boom.

when tank runs dry (explosion no KKS) you have 10,000 m/s to go boom. add in KKS and you have 5,000 to 20,000 to dent, 20,000 (impossible) to go boom. the 20,000 i can accept, means nothing. i can see an empty tank being less malleable, maybe 10+ m/s to dent, but all of <5,000 being immune to dent is too much :P 

edit: and wasnt saying /bug/ per sae, just conflict, 10-20000 range sjhould all be dentable, not just 5000-20000

Peculiar. Everything should dent from the original crash tolerance and up. Scaling afterwards doesn't matter. Unless "Explosions Mod" changes the crash tolerance before KKS saves it.

OnEnable function code snippet:

private void OnEnable()
        {
            if (!HighLogic.LoadedSceneIsFlight)
                return; //Only needed in Flight Scene.

OriginalCrashTolerance = part.crashTolerance;
            ToleranceScaling = ToleranceScaling;

Splashdown += OnSplashdown;

OnEnabled();
        }

1. What about fixing the bug with the landing/takeoff on water? Still waiting for the new version. Can not really put the spacecraft (Kerbin/Laythe/Eve and to execute contracts "coast guard") :(

2. Does the damage to the fairings somehow to air resistance?

3. And I haven't checked the damage to the lamps. How it is implemented? Docking in the dark is much more difficult...

3 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

1. What about fixing the bug with the landing/takeoff on water? Still waiting for the new version. Can not really put the spacecraft (Kerbin/Laythe/Eve and to execute contracts "coast guard") :(

2. Does the damage to the fairings somehow to air resistance?

3. And I haven't checked the damage to the lamps. How it is implemented? Docking in the dark is much more difficult...

I haven't had time to fix the horizontal water damage.

Nothing changes air resistance at the moment, it's mostly visual.

Lamps don't have a damaged state different from their normal state yet, they deform but keep working.

I am definitely loving this mod so far.  DangIt was to much for me, but this.... this makes sense.  "Why are we leaking fuel!?" -  "Because Jeb ignored docking procedures and rammed the station again, that's why!"

Also it's (probably) purely an ironic coincidence that I was involved in a real car crash the day the latest version released....   o.o

2 hours ago, Kyrt Malthorn said:

I am definitely loving this mod so far.  DangIt was to much for me, but this.... this makes sense.  "Why are we leaking fuel!?" -  "Because Jeb ignored docking procedures and rammed the station again, that's why!"

Also it's (probably) purely an ironic coincidence that I was involved in a real car crash the day the latest version released....   o.o

Really?! I do hope you're okay! I surely hope it's unrelated to KKS releases or you'd have to stay indoors, tomorrow!

I'll upload the new version tomorrow, this version (v 0.21) fixes the horizontal water damage by using the Physics.BuoyancyCrashToleranceMult property to scale damages on water.

I am currently working on subdividing meshes to increase the dent resolution. Early tests are looking promising (except for the textures getting messed up).

Edited by EnzoMeertens

36 minutes ago, EnzoMeertens said:

Really?! I do hope you're okay! I surely hope it's unrelated to KKS releases or you'd have to stay indoors, tomorrow!

Yes really, and nobody was hurt.  I gotta say though, the crunched effects of my car doors after the impact was very convincing....  wait, real life usually is convincing.  Insurance companies are real life too...

KKS has definitely been fun to play with while I wait for estimates and such though!  Seriously, this + collisionFX makes for some very dramatic scrapes.  Bashed some airplane wings in rough landings and had to limp home while leaking fuel. :D

15 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

What bug is that? I'm doing a lot of water-landings (and some takeoffs), and KKS rarely triggers. When it does, it's really close to the velocity that would be also problematic in stock. And I never got actual debilitating damage on water, just distortion. So I have zero KKS related problems on planes that have enough wing area to not stall above 80 m/s, and very few on those that aren't as nimble.

44IC7iR.png

An example of not enough wing-area. Yet I landed this without damage on the second try. But that pic is better.

if only colliders dented too

is it me, or do dents move attached parts?  stacks seem like they bend but could just be graphical / damage

down the line you should ad some rupture effects to models, would be nice to have tank "explode" but just a big rupturing hole in side and not part going boom

16 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

What bug is that? I'm doing a lot of water-landings (and some takeoffs), and KKS rarely triggers. When it does, it's really close to the velocity that would be also problematic in stock. And I never got actual debilitating damage on water, just distortion. So I have zero KKS related problems on planes that have enough wing area to not stall above 80 m/s, and very few on those that aren't as nimble.

44IC7iR.png

An example of not enough wing-area. Yet I landed this without damage on the second try. But that pic is better.

That poor guy! At least he has a beautiful view. (I should really use visual enhancement mods, they look amazing)

I won't be changing the water damage dramatically, just scaling it down by the same amount as stock does. Hopefully that will satisfy everyone's needs :3 

10 minutes ago, anxcon said:

if only colliders dented too

is it me, or do dents move attached parts?  stacks seem like they bend but could just be graphical / damage

down the line you should ad some rupture effects to models, would be nice to have tank "explode" but just a big rupturing hole in side and not part going boom

Deformed colliders are just about the most difficult part of this mod and will hopefully be added in the future. But I'm not making any promises on this part.

Is it me, or do damaged batteries feature the 'smoke puff' graphical leaking effect?

Since there's already the functionality to add graphical effects, how easy it is to switch the smoke for some sparks in case of a battery?

This mod is too awesome. Adding one too few parachutes is now an option :D

5 hours ago, Kyrt Malthorn said:

Side note: I was cut off by a huge pickup truck that ignored a Stop sign on my way to work this morning, it was scary. The larger the vehicle, the less consideration for others, it's what it seems like :(

2 hours ago, Evanitis said:

(snip pretty, pretty screenshot)

Is that reflection of the sun on the water stock? I don't remember mine being like that o_O

*clicks Donate*

"Paypal.me isn't available in your country"

Eh, WAT? I'm sure I've donated to other modders before :huh: 

1 minute ago, Evanitis said:

It's from Scatterer.

Ah, thanks! I thought it only added atmospheric effects.

Need better computer :( 

1 hour ago, monstah said:

Is it me, or do damaged batteries feature the 'smoke puff' graphical leaking effect?

Since there's already the functionality to add graphical effects, how easy it is to switch the smoke for some sparks in case of a battery?

This mod is too awesome. Adding one too few parachutes is now an option :D

I'll add that to my to-do list. Should be easy enough to exchange the smoke particles for sparks when electric charge is "leaking".

Seems it was super easy. I'll add it to the next update (tomorrow).

Thank you for your kind words! :)

1 hour ago, monstah said:

*clicks Donate*

"Paypal.me isn't available in your country"

Eh, WAT? I'm sure I've donated to other modders before :huh: 

Ah, thanks! I thought it only added atmospheric effects.

Need better computer :( 

That's weird. I guess I'll have to change that link then. 

Thank you for your potential donation, though. It means a lot! I never thought anyone would like it this much! :3

Edited by EnzoMeertens

6 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

I'll upload the new version tomorrow, this version (v 0.21) fixes the horizontal water damage by using the Physics.BuoyancyCrashToleranceMult property to scale damages on water.

I am currently working on subdividing meshes to increase the dent resolution. Early tests are looking promising (except for the textures getting messed up).

You also need to add a uv entry http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Mesh-uv.html. You'll likely have to extrapolate the uv values between the triangles you subdivide.

10 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

You might want to have the version number be 0.2.1instead, considering this is bug fix 1 of build 2 of version 0.  If it was 0.21, it'd be build 21 of version 0.  :)

10 hours ago, EnzoMeertens said:

I'm wondering if you could subdivide just the section that got hit, and then procedurally generate a texture for that section based off the severity of the damage.  Maybe use a Perlin/Simplex noise (or any type of coherent noise) and change some values based off the collision.  Maybe even change the seed based off of a random value from it.  If you want to get even more in depth, you could allow mod makers to add a damaged material to the .cfg of the part.  Do something like:

damageMaterial = /Path/to/file/damage.mat

Using the standard Unity material file, of course.  You could add this using the existing MM files in KKS.

My idea for the material would be to have a few different textures which can be chosen like normal, and a few values for the noise generator to use.

I know that this is no easy task, but it you might want to look into it.

Edited by Guest
Add moar

4 hours ago, rbray89 said:

You also need to add a uv entry http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Mesh-uv.html. You'll likely have to extrapolate the uv values between the triangles you subdivide.

I will try that! :)

39 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

You might want to have the version number be 0.2.1instead, considering this is bug fix 1 of build 2 of version 0.  If it was 0.21, it'd be build 21 of version 0.  :)

I'm wondering if you could subdivide just the section that got hit, and then procedurally generate a texture for that section based off the severity of the damage.  Maybe use a Perlin/Simplex noise (or any type of coherent noise) and change some values based off the collision.  Maybe even change the seed based off of a random value from it.  If you want to get even more in depth, you could allow mod makers to add a damaged material to the .cfg of the part.  Do something like:

damageMaterial = /Path/to/file/damage.mat

Using the standard Unity material file, of course.  You could add this using the existing MM files in KKS.

My idea for the material would be to have a few different textures which can be chosen like normal, and a few values for the noise generator to use.

I know that this is no easy task, but you might want to look into it.

Right. 0.2.1. Thanks for reminding me! 

Subdividing a single section is what I am trying to do right now! :) 
I haven't had much time to look into this, though! 

Using textures is something I've been wanting to try. Maybe even add thermal damage textures (soot) to parts.

Adding textures to normal damage is a really good idea, too. It could definitely help making the damage look more substantial. 

the thermal / soot from heat damage i would suggest be a 2nd mod, as thats merely graphical as well as needing to constantly check part temp and update, while KKS is /just/ on collision stuff

so perhaps the whole texture bit is a 2nd mod for the texture changing abilities, and KKS mods hook into KKS + optionally the the texture bit, as the texture bit could potentially be used in countless areas without KKS - thermal/soot, dusty/dirt, wet/muddy

9 minutes ago, anxcon said:

i just put a KKS module onto a kerbal......kracked its helmet and he died :(

no more kerbal head being hardest known material in game :(

How do you use MM for Kerbals?

7 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

How do you use MM for Kerbals?

you cant, need to have a mod apply the partmodules, kerbalstats for example

also a thought for collisions, if you take mass of ship, and speed of collision (calculate from velocity and direction to get how much is going INTO the impact itself, so direct head-on impact has more force directed at impact than merely a side-scraping impact would) you could scale collision damage to said part, also you could check for multiple parts colliding to spread that force out between the parts - this way would gain some realism, using a tin can for legs might withstand the speed, doesn't mean a 100 ton ship should use them for feet

New version (0.2.1) is up!

Changelog:

Added sparking for leaking batteries (not working on physicsless batteries, yet).

Scaled water damage down by PhysicsGlobals.BuoyancyCrashToleranceMult.

On 18-2-2016 at 9:34 PM, anxcon said:

the thermal / soot from heat damage i would suggest be a 2nd mod, as thats merely graphical as well as needing to constantly check part temp and update, while KKS is /just/ on collision stuff

so perhaps the whole texture bit is a 2nd mod for the texture changing abilities, and KKS mods hook into KKS + optionally the the texture bit, as the texture bit could potentially be used in countless areas without KKS - thermal/soot, dusty/dirt, wet/muddy

I am not sure about the entire thermal damage, yet.

May just create a different mod for this, or add it to KKS.

15 hours ago, anxcon said:

i just put a KKS module onto a kerbal......kracked its helmet and he died :(

no more kerbal head being hardest known material in game :(

That's awesome! I didn't know that would work! It's good to know it works on "everything", so far!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.