Soyuz rocket !

Angorek

Hi !

I`ve build a stock Soyuz rocket, and I want to share it with you ! It was used for Apollo-Soyuz mission reconstruction : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129547-soyuz-apollo-orbital-rendezvous/

It has 193 parts including 4 launch clamps. Flies perfect !. 

Reaches 220km orbit, with 50 degree inclination without problem. 

Mechjeb or Kerbal enginner is recomended to monitor TWR, but you may also use stock G-meter near Navball :D (but it`s less precise) 

I lift off at full power, and fly straight up, after reaching 150m/s start the gravity turn by pitching to 5 degrees. After reaching 10km, I pitch to 10 degrees, then 15 at 15km and so on, up to 35km. I constantly throttle down to keep the TWR at 1.9-2.0, and try not to pitch more than 35 degress before decoupling boosters. because rocket might flip over) Because it`s so wide on the lower part, you need to fly at low angle of attack. (keep prograde as close to the navball marker as possible) 

After decoupling boosters I throttle up to 100%, and pitch slowly to 90 degrees. Third stage should be fired with 20-25% throttle as it has TWR = 5. 

Do not jesttison the Launch Escape System tower before jettisoning fairings, as it causes bugs. 

Mods needed :

- TweakScale 

- Smart Parts ( for launch escape system) 

- Tweakable Everything ( make sure solar panels have disabled SunTracking ! )

- Real Chute

- Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (probably very wobbly without it ) 

- Module manager (You probably already have it ) 

I`ve also added a part to download, it`s resized stock Mk2 lander can, and a patch for module manager to make struts stronger.

Action Groups :

- 9,0 - reserved for Smart Parts

- Abort - decouples crew module, and fires escape rockets, with Smart Parts it`s fully automatic. 

- Gear - deploys KURS antenna and periscope. (made of landing gear :D must be retracted before reentry)

- Lights - toggles the light (acting as window) in orbital module. (won`t illuminate other ships) 

DOWNLOAD https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnr7kmlc4rxq8rh/Soyuz.rar?dl=0

(Mod for the launchpad is Kosmodrome, requires recompiled dll from the Kerbal Konstructs thread, and a module manager fix which you also find in that topic, at the last pages) 

N8IHNdv.jpg

znQFhSo.jpg

XUIUWUa.jpg

oWtKsq7.jpg

IaAJ9Jd.jpg

IhXEjS2.jpg

MJu8Eve.jpg

Edited by Angorek

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys ! 

Yes it can take crew, two kerbonauts in the descend module, but can also fly like Progress. You can also EVA but I recommend to add for ex. a battery as a marker under the entrance because it`s not visible. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.