Real Space Program [Need Launch Controllers] [Launch 1/14/17]

ZooNamedGames

6 minutes ago, Wildcat111 said:

@ZooNamedGames when are you going to schedule the next launch If so, I better get to work working on my launch vehicle!

Next launch is currently scheduled for October 1. We already have a launch vehicle and payload, but that's the only mission currently planned.

25 minutes ago, Wildcat111 said:

@ZooNamedGames when are you going to schedule the next launch If so, I better get to work working on my launch vehicle!

18 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Next launch is currently scheduled for October 1. We already have a launch vehicle and payload, but that's the only mission currently planned.

We do however plan to try to make these launches on regular schedule. 

Now you mentioned your launch vehicle; I've recently decided that I want to limit ourselves to 3 launchers specifically. Two general launchers like the Atlas V and the Delta IV rocket families and also something recoverable like the Falcon 9. So if you can make one better than our current ones then good job! If not, then you can help us with managing all future developments with those vehicles!

I simply want to get us down to identifable launch vehicles. Like how when you see a space shuttle you instantly think NASA, same thing. 

On 9/10/2016 at 11:20 AM, legoclone09 said:

Not sure about RP-0 because of the avionics

The probe already has avionics built in, and removing it is going to mess up all the delta-V calculations. Ditto for the launcher, a Atlas-Centaur replica. I could remove and redesign if you want me to. On that note, another quick question: When those avionics rings say "6 minutes of control" does that mean 6 minutes on the ring's internal battery, which can then be recharged, or does it mean that regardless of EC availability after 6 minutes it goes "NOPE"?

On 9/11/2016 at 4:53 PM, Florid Monkey said:

Although the failure, among others, has caused some doubt among RSP critics

Bit of info about failures:

As a rocket travels through space on free-fall, the only force acting on it is gravity. As it climbs out of the massive potential well of our home planet, it loses momentum to gravity. But that momentum doesn't just disappear (like it does in KSP.) The equal and opposite force on the rocket is on the Earth itself. The Earth takes on the momentum that the rocket loses. The momentum is returned when the rocket crashes, so the final momentum cannot change, but during the free-fall the Earth will have a changed velocity, and move slightly. So through your (inevitable) future failures, remember:

Whenever a rocket falls from the sky, that means someone is moving the Earth.

Yes, I know the rocket's exhaust also transfers momentum to the Earth. But that happens much faster, so the velocity created by the launch lasts longer than that created by the freefall, so... the Earth still moves, just in the opposite direction.

18 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

The probe already has avionics built in, and removing it is going to mess up all the delta-V calculations. Ditto for the launcher, a Atlas-Centaur replica. I could remove and redesign if you want me to. On that note, another quick question: When those avionics rings say "6 minutes of control" does that mean 6 minutes on the ring's internal battery, which can then be recharged, or does it mean that regardless of EC availability after 6 minutes it goes "NOPE"?

It means six minutes of battery life. It can be recharged. Also, we already do have lifters. We don't have RP-0, so we don't have the parts. And sadly, we aren't taking payload requests until we get launches down to a schedule.

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

It means six minutes of battery life.

Thanks for the clarification. That was bugging me, though I doubt I'll try a RSS save.

2 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Also, we already do have lifters.

Then I'll just give the probe+deceleration cluster. Needs to be thrown onto Lunar impact.

3 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

we aren't taking payload requests until we get launches down to a schedule.

That's alright, just gives me more time to write the descent autopilot.

43 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Thanks for the clarification. That was bugging me, though I doubt I'll try a RSS save.

Then I'll just give the probe+deceleration cluster. Needs to be thrown onto Lunar impact.

That's alright, just gives me more time to write the descent autopilot.

Alright, awesome! I think we are nearing our launches on a schedule, We've got our next on October 1. Do you have a picture of the satellite? If it's small enough we can likely make it a secondary payload.

6 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Alright, awesome! I think we are nearing our launches on a schedule, We've got our next on October 1. Do you have a picture of the satellite? If it's small enough we can likely make it a secondary payload.

Small?

NO.

The probe itself yes, but in the spirit of the Surveyor landers I made a descent SRB out of duct taping 7 Altairs so- well...

Have pics tomorrow!

7 minutes ago, Wildcat111 said:

@ZooNamedGames what is the objective for the October 2nd launch? Because I would really like to shoot for the Moon!

It's a communications satellite launch on a Taurus booster. There's a Google Slides presentation on it.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FNu9nD-OgCRPE1vS8mF4JNIrRSmDXP-AnldOx2raylY/edit?usp=sharing

14 minutes ago, Wildcat111 said:

@ZooNamedGames what is the objective for the October 2nd launch? Because I would really like to shoot for the Moon!

In time dear friend, in time. That is an objective far beyond our current resources. We'd require additional man power, hardware, planning and most of all, time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.