Drogue Shoot Timing

wissx

I am laying around with KerbalX craft and some have a drogue shoot. When is it perfect to release it? Cause the plane can easily reach Mach 2. Also I do not land on runways that often. And any tips for landing as I will bounce on the runway

2 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Is it weird that I read all your posts in the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Dang it, now you've got me doing it.

Just to add to what previous posters have said:  drogues are for 500 m/s and slower.  If you need a way to slow down quickly when you're going faster than that, use airbrakes, they're safe to use at any speed (as long as you're not going crazy-orbital-fast and literally burn them off).

I've found that drogues can actually handle opening up to maybe 700 m/s, but for safety it is generally wiser to wait until you're a bit slower, particularly because ships scarcely ever have a terminal velocity much above 200 m/s.
Also, to engage the brakes and keep them on, click the little button at the top that looks like this:
{(!)}
The brakes will remain on until you click it again or press "B;" I find this useful insofar as I often click it early in reentry so I don't have to worry about remembering to hold "B" when I hit the ground (or to keep the airbrakes out).

Speaking of airbrakes... if you're trying to recover big orbital insertion stages, I've found them liable to burn up pretty easily if you don't watch what you're doing. They tend to burn when moving between 1000 and 2000 m/s, and will explode almost instantly around 2500 m/s. Yeah, maybe this counts as "crazy-orbital-fast," but that's the rap when you're reentering.
To avoid this, the general solution is to just pull them back in whenever they get too hot (if you left them set to the Brakes action group, press "B"); they cool down pretty fast, so after a second or two you can stick them out again and alternate having them in and out until you get down to 1000 m/s.
If you do have airbrakes, you're unlikely to need drogue chutes in addition, as something with airbrakes hanging out tends to go pretty slowly in the lower atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2016 at 3:22 AM, SpacedCowboy said:

Bouncing on the run way is not good! Try tweaking the drogues to open up a little earlier.There is so much pending on mass, speed and trajectory.  "I won't be back!"

Bouncing on the run way is not good! That's planes for you. All problems concerning mass, speed and trajectory can be avoided by "getting to the chopper"

......?

I know, I just get my coat and leave now :blush: 

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

On 1/20/2016 at 5:12 PM, Snark said:

Dang it, now you've got me doing it.

Just to add to what previous posters have said:  drogues are for 500 m/s and slower.  If you need a way to slow down quickly when you're going faster than that, use airbrakes, they're safe to use at any speed (as long as you're not going crazy-orbital-fast and literally burn them off).

Dang it, and now you've got me reading your posts in a tardigrade's voice... which I imagine is something like "wzzz bzzz weeeiiizzziiibzzz"

I dont think they make noise at all... No no not because thier small.. They seem to have a radially mounted RCS port for a mouth.. They make the same sound as cat stevens in a moon shadow with no mouth no more..with overtones of gordon freeman.. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.