A ninth planet?

Spaceception

A post describing where should be found this 9 planet, with data that discards part of the possible orbits based on already made observations

http://www.findplanetnine.com/p/blog-page.html

Sorry for my terrible english i'm sleepy

EDIT: Added image from the post, the color parts are the discarded regions of the chart

Spoiler

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_LyEwG4UkPQ/Vp_6haMekPI/AAAAAAAANpw/6ocvJi6yqi8/s1600/Capture.PNG

Edited by kunok

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35365323

Just in case you missed this link.

IMO, planets beyond pluto (stretches arms out wide), sure, but they state a probability of something of a certain size range and set a maximum likelihood, it could easily be at the low end of their range.

How seriously do we take this, its not a giant, 10x larger than earth, more or less a ball of ice with some latent heat production at its core, and a highly ellipictical orbit that circulates 45 time the distance from neptune.

3 hours ago, Ralathon said:

In crass terms, Pics or gtfo.

It is definitely a possibility that there's another planet out there. But 3.5 sigma on 6 objects isn't a particularly high confidence rate. Especially since that only tells you "Hey, these inclinations aren't a coincidence!". It could be that they're the result of some planet that was expelled from the solar system during its formation. Or maybe a passing star, or something else.

In other words, definitely interesting and worthy of further research. It's the best analysis we have so far suggesting another planet. But until we actually see a planet with our telescopes I'm not going to assume it exists.

I haven't read the paper yet, but I'd like to think the sort of people who can build the model necessary to show the correlation would also do the work necessary to distinguish between a transit and periodic source. It's basically going to be the first thing that pops into anyone's head, so not doing the legwork to check for it before announcing that there is a planet there would be quite irresponsible. Not to mention, make it very hard for the paper to pass peer review.

But I reserve the right to flip on this once I actually get the time to read the paper in full.

10 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

If it's real, I hope they name it Persephone (after the tenth planet in Arther C. Clarke's novels). :)

That works if it's not given a planet status. But if it is actually classified as a planet, IAU will require it to be a deity in Roman Mythology.

Apparently it'll take about 5 years to finish scanning for it. If we do find it, sending a space probe to investigate would be a pain, considering the plane-change needed for the planet's predicted orbit. I'm still waiting for a probe to Eris, although due to it's position, I don't think I'll be seeing it in my lifetime...:(

Another theory for the strange orbits of our Trans-Neptunian dwarf planets I heard about was that a Red or Brown Dwarf was acting as a companion star to our sun. I'm doubting it.:P

Edited by AccidentsHappen
Adding more information

6 minutes ago, Rdivine said:

Does the planet follow an eliptical or circular orbit? Most videos i've seen shows an eliptical trajectory, but it doesn't seem likely for such a massive planet.

Elliptical, maybe it was kicked out of the solar system by Jupiter and Saturn when it was forming, and didn't receive enough material, and that's why it's small.

Also, what kind of moons could it have!?

2 minutes ago, batman78781 said:

I never even considered that! For some reason Laythe popped into mind, but I had to dismiss that though since there's like no hope or chance for something like that so far away.

Due to it's size, I don't think it'll have anything larger than 1000 km, or may have one moon the size of Mars, any other moons would be the size of Ceres or smaller..

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Persephone is Greek... But there are bodies with Greek names.

That's why I'm saying, it'd be totally fine if it's not classified as a planet. But if it actually turns out to be in the 10 M range, IAU will be under a lot of pressure to classify it as a planet, and odds are, they'll warp definitions (again) to make it work.

Edited by K^2

I don't think it'll have any significant moons. If it really was ejected from the system earlier in time, any large moons would probably have been taken out one way or another. Being ripped away from the planet by a much larger one, or colliding with it, or colliding with another moon, or shattering within the Roche limit, or simply being thrown out into space. Lots of things can happen and I would be surprised if it has a large moon. 

Edited by Findthepin1

10 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Even if it's larger than Earth... the reason Pluto was disqualified as a planet wasn't because it wasn't deemed a valid planet. It's because we came to realize that there's probably thousands of them out there and we don't want that. Assume this body will be found, and assume its size is halfway between Earth and Neptune; given the location it will be a matter of time before similar bodies are discovered. Instead of accepting it as a planet, we'll simply add another arbritary rule (eccentricity, inclination, distance to the sun, etc) that will disqualify it as a planet and instead classify it as a Transneptunian Body" or something along those lines.

We don't want humanity be living on an ordinary planet "out of thousands" after all, we need to be unique (even though the fact that we live here makes us unique).

Doubt it. People think that the original solar system had 3 ice giants instead of 2, via a modified version Nice model. One got slung out, and since this fits the proposed properties of that ice giant, this could very well be that ice giant- and we have found one of few Oort Cloud planets. Granted, rouge planets might drastically increase that number, but we really have know idea aboutthose things.

8 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Could the James Webb crack this egg?

I think you would need something like ATLAST to really start learning crass about it. At that distance, it may as well be an exoplanet.

5 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

If it's real, I hope they name it Persephone (after the tenth planet in Arther C. Clarke's novels). :)

Like in the Atlt. Solar System made here in the forums! :D

1 hour ago, Findthepin1 said:

I don't think it'll have any significant moons. If it really was ejected from the system earlier in time, any large moons would probably have been taken out one way or another. Being ripped away from the planet by a much larger one, or colliding with it, or colliding with another moon, or shattering within the Roche limit, or simply being thrown out into space. Lots of things can happen and I would be surprised if it has a large moon. 

Ejection could have been pretty soft, given that it stayed in the system. Anything tightly bound could have survived it. That does still put some limits, but it could have retained at least one sizable moon.

On the other hand, given that it had to interact with a whole lot of debris for its orbit to be entirely beyond Neptune, I would definitely expect an entire system of tiny little moonlets made up of various captures.

18 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Ejection could have been pretty soft, given that it stayed in the system. Anything tightly bound could have survived it. That does still put some limits, but it could have retained at least one sizable moon.

Yeah, I agree. Given that Uranus and Neptune have a lot of moons, (around 30) I think it could have up to maybe even two that we could see.

19 minutes ago, K^2 said:

I would definitely expect an entire system of tiny little moonlets made up of various captures.

This is probably what would actually be out there. We'll probably leave it to speculation even if the planet is found since we have no way of see things so far and tiny. We can't do what the Kepler and K2 team does since there won't be any light coming from the planet. We might be able to observe the transit of the planet and the moons against the background stars if possible though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.