Women who play KSP

CosmicCharlie

Who plays KSP?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. I play KSP and I am a

• male
    • female

Its not like gender is really relevant...

If it's not relevant then why ask?

If you and the OP, and others, are so interested in KSP players' gender then why not say "I am interested in the gender demographics of KSP, please vote in my poll."?  Why ask in such a pointed manner that singles out women and ignores the complexities of gender identification?

4 minutes ago, regex said:

If you and the OP, and others, are so interested in KSP players' gender then why not say "I am interested in the gender demographics of KSP, please vote in my poll."?  Why ask in such a pointed manner that singles out women and ignores the complexities of gender identification?

2 hours ago, FungusForge said:

Yes, but I've seen many a innocent topic degenerate into feces fling.

E: That is not to say this thread will head that way, but let us sit with fingers crossed the wrong guy doesn't roll up here.

Please don't be the wrong guy regex.

I self-identify as an attack helicopter.

Jokes aside, as of this post the poll stands at about 90% male, which is rather interesting, considering that's far lower than the gaming community as a whole. One wonders why. Is it solely because of less interest in STEM among women? Or perhaps the demographics of "female," "plays computer games," and "into STEM" don't overlap all that much? Or are women less likely to post/visit the forums (and if so, why?) Or something else? Really, this raises more questions than it answers.

Also, this should probably be moved to the Lounge or Kerbal Network, as it's essentially irrelevant to the game.

I must be gender blind because I never really think about it unless someone brings it up.  I guess my default assumption is that everyone here is an aerospace engineer, male or female doesn't really matter.  If you're looking for a relationship there are hundreds of better places online - or you can do it the old fashioned way and just go to a bar.

If it's numbers you're interested in, the stats on my Youtube channel indicate that my viewers are 92% male and 8% female.  I think that's fairly representative of these forums as well.  And just so you know, there are only two options in the Youtube analytics, male & female - make of that what you will...

JR

My girlfriend loves playing kerbal, although it did start as a backlash against me playing kerbal too much so she took it up to, now we play the same save game building stuff in orbit and completing missions together. 

I think it is actually a fair and interesting question, though previous threads have gone down a wrong path.

Not directly relevant to KSP specifically,  but perceived gender can make a difference to how other players interact.

A male work colleague commonly used a female character name when playing FPSs online, and found that generally the other players showed more respect, to the point that it could sometimes be an unfair advantage (not that he needed it, but guys fall for the 'harmless' girl trick in movies all the time).  

2 hours ago, regex said:

Out of context quote is out of context.

You made a claim that one could participate in the community for a while and find out. As a counter point, I think that at the level of community participation... ie participation on these forums, gender is not so relevant that it becomes obvious just by participating on these forums. When offering advice on a subject, or debating a point *I do not care* if it is a man or woman or man who identifies as a woman, or woman who identifies as a man, or a XY woman, or a XY hemaphrodite, or a XXY or XYY individual...

However, I do appreciate that you didn't quote me by name, and I do agree that the OP was not very eloquent when asking the question. I did explicietly say "That said, I am interested in the demographics."... which seems to be what you asked for.

As to these other posts about gender identity in the 21st century... I don't think that is a suitable topic for these forums.

I will note that the XXY or XYY condition occurs in approximately 1:1000 births, however, they are still phenotypically male, although the XXY case does have some accentuated typically female traits.

People with female phenotype that are genetically XY are about 1 in 80,000....

Thus, phenotypically, Male or Female is clear cut for about 99.99875% of the population.

As a cell biologist, I'm used to assigning gender to things with no discerbale cognitive function, on the basis of things at the cellular level.

The thoughts and mind(for which there is no evidence that one exists) of a yeast don't matter when assigning it mating type A or Alpha. Nor does a state of mind factor into whether a mouse embryo is male or female... or whether a particular plant is male or female.

There are many cases of indisputable hemaphrodites and mating type switching in nature. Humans are not such an example.

In the interest in social justice, it may be in our interest to treat some people as another gender, but the literalist in me has a hard time considering them as anything other than what they actually are at the cellular/molecular level... even if that is the socially fair thing to do.

3 hours ago, razark said:

English does have a singular third-person gender-neutral pronoun.  People just tend to get annoyed when you use it.

Because unfortunately, it's plural. And unfortunately he/she is a travesty worthy of comparison with the exclamation point/question mark combo. [!?] 

The grammatical convention is to use "he" unless the situation demands otherwise. Yes, this is slightly patriarchal, but grammar isn't fair or reasonable, and it had to be something. 

7 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

You made a claim that one could participate in the community for a while and find out. As a counter point, I think that at the level of community participation... ie participation on these forums, gender is not so relevant that it becomes obvious just by participating on these forums. When offering advice on a subject, or debating a point *I do not care* if it is a man or woman or man who identifies as a woman, or woman who identifies as a man, or a XY woman, or a XY hemaphrodite, or a XXY or XYY individual...

This is why there isn't any reason for a thread that singles out women.

7 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

As to these other posts about gender identity in the 21st century... I don't think that is a suitable topic for these forums.

Nor is a thread that singles out women.

7 minutes ago, Ehco Corrallo said:

Yes, this is slightly patriarchal

Only slightly.  :rolleyes:

Sorry guys but I am closing this one, as has been mentioned it's not really a topic of this forum, and it does single out a group.

Women who play games are people who want to play games, just like anyone else, and gender or gender identity doesn't factor into this.

Let gamers be gamers and treat them as such, regardless of their gender.