Planet No. 9 to be named Eeloo

Azivegu

By popular demand I have made a petition to have the recently proposed planet (commonly referred to as Planet X or Planet 9 (although I prefer Planet No. 9 because it seems like it would smell nice)) referred to in all official US government documents as Eeloo and legislation be passed to make it law.

Will you sign your name and ride this to the moon?

http://wh.gov/iwz9K

19 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

But Earth is more germanic....

Which is why its proper astronomical name is Terra...

19 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

And I thought that most greeks refer to Neptune as Poseidon....

...and that would be because the IAU uses Roman god names, not Greek ones.

Rune. Then again, Eeloo would rock.

Why should I care what the IAU decide, who put them in charge? They're the ones that, pointlessly as far as I can tell, decided that Pluto had to be demoted.

Thus I propose;-

the reinstatement of Pluto.

planet X to be named Mickey

planet XI to be named Goofey

I hope you can find it in you to support my plea.

2 minutes ago, Elrond Cupboard said:

Why should I care what the IAU decide, who put them in charge? They're the ones that, pointlessly as far as I can tell, decided that Pluto had to be demoted.

Thus I propose;-

the reinstatement of Pluto.

planet X to be named Mickey

planet XI to be named Goofey

I hope you can find it in you to support my plea.

pluto is a binary system... So what about Charon?

9 minutes ago, Rune said:

Which is why its proper astronomical name is Terra...

...and that would be because the IAU uses Roman god names, not Greek ones.

Rune. Then again, Eeloo would rock.

It's proper name is whatever your language says it is... Erd, Earth, Terra, Gaia, whatever.

But every other nation calls it Neptune. I'm only mentioning it because not everyone follows the IAU, and you don't have to. I can call the Sun anything I want, and if others agree with me, it becomes correct in our little circle of friends.

4 minutes ago, Elrond Cupboard said:

I was not being entirely serious. ;)

but should we rename Charon to something else or (what I think is a better idea) crash the two together. Then there is no more discussion of whether or not Pluto is a planet. :P

No. Eeloo is supposed to be an analog to Pluto or Enceledus, depending if Gas Planet 2 exists in this world, and is not a name based off mythology.

Imagine in 100 years, what people would think if P IX was called Eeloo. "Gee, that's a stupid name!" That's why nobody take Uranus' moons seriously. Or Uranus itself, for that matter. Who decided to name a moon Miranda? Puck? Oh... Right.

Naming this planet Eeloo would be the equivalent to naming Uranus "George". It may sound cool now, but it will not age well.

1 minute ago, Azivegu said:

but should we rename Charon to something else or (what I think is a better idea) crash the two together. Then there is no more discussion of whether or not Pluto is a planet. :P

Pluto and Charon merged would still be too small to clear its orbit. Maybe if you merged all the dwarf planets known or suspected. Maybe then you would get a planet.

2 minutes ago, fredinno said:

Who decided to name a moon Miranda?

My ex girlfriend was named Miranda...

xD

btw, pluto isnt a planet mainly because of Charon, and I was calling for the utter destruction of Pluto, not a merger.

Edited by Azivegu

2 minutes ago, Azivegu said:

My ex girlfriend was named Miranda...

xD

btw, pluto isnt a planet mainly because of Charon, and I was calling for the utter destruction of Pluto, not a merger.

Even w/o Charon, Pluto is too small to be a planet.

50 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

It's proper name is whatever your language says it is... Erd, Earth, Terra, Gaia, whatever.

But every other nation calls it Neptune. I'm only mentioning it because not everyone follows the IAU, and you don't have to. I can call the Sun anything I want, and if others agree with me, it becomes correct in our little circle of friends.

Sure, in an informal discussion, as long as you are understood, whatever floats your boat, you could call it Bob. But in academic circles, you have to be proper about names. Hence why I said that it's proper astronomical name, as defined by the IAU, should be taken from Roman mythology, like the others. Why? Same reason species are named in Latin, I guess. It's a dead language taken as the standard of science naming conventions, from way before there was proper science.

18 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Also, Uranus isn't a Roman name...

Yet it's the name the Romans used. They were a bit like Americans that way, appropriating the fanciest myths of the time into their culture. ;)

Rune. That is, of course, assuming said planet exists.

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

Sure, in an informal discussion, as long as you are understood, whatever floats your boat, you could call it Bob. But in academic circles, you have to be proper about names. Hence why I said that it's proper astronomical name, as defined by the IAU, should be taken from Roman mythology, like the others. Why? Same reason species are named in Latin, I guess. It's a dead language taken as the standard of science naming conventions, from way before there was proper science.

Yet it's the name the Romans used. They were a bit like Americans that way, appropriating the fanciest myths of the time into their culture. ;)

Rune. That is, of course, assuming said planet exists.

It's not what all Romans used. Uranus's Roman equivalent is Caelus. Now, the Greeks were conquered by the Romans, so they, as Greek Romans, would call it Uranus, but it's still a Greek mythology name. Distinctly not Roman mythology. So, not all planets are named after Roman deities.

SQUAD specifically picked new names instead of real world ones, and this would go against that spirit. Plus imagine the constant need for clarification on the forums if someone posted a question about "Eeloo". Yes, I'm asking the IAU to consider what's best for the KSP forums.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.