Planet No. 9 to be named Eeloo

Azivegu

On 1/25/2016 at 3:32 AM, WedgeAntilles said:

Planet number Nine already has a name: Pluto. This alleged new one is the TENTH one.

(yes, I read the post about Charon)

No Planet 9 is not named yet. It is official that pluto is not a planet (it is however a Dwarf Planet).  I personally wish it wasnt demoted but then we would have had to promote other Dwarf planets like Ceres, Vesta, Sedna, etc to being planets.

I like Janus. The description says: "God of Beginnings, Endings, Transition, Doorways and Keys"

If this planet turns out to exist, it will likely be the final planet in our solar system. As such, "endings" is appropriate - as is "transition" and "doorways", since its orbit will lie beyond the Kuiper belt and form a much more distinct figurative boundary of the solar system than the diffuse mess beyond the Heliopause called the Oort cloud could ever be. Beyond Janus, the gatekeeper of Sol, you will definitely be in interstellar space.

Sound good to anyone else? :)

8 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I like Janus. The description says: "God of Beginnings, Endings, Transition, Doorways and Keys"

If this planet turns out to exist, it will likely be the final planet in our solar system. As such, "endings" is appropriate - as is "transition" and "doorways", since its orbit will lie beyond the Kuiper belt and form a much more distinct figurative boundary of the solar system than the diffuse mess beyond the Heliopause called the Oort cloud could ever be. Beyond Janus, the gatekeeper of Sol, you will definitely be in interstellar space.

Sound good to anyone else? :)

I like the name, but it already belongs to one of Saturn's moons. :P

18 hours ago, B787_300 said:

No Planet 9 is not named yet. It is official that pluto is not a planet (it is however a Dwarf Planet).  I personally wish it wasnt demoted but then we would have had to promote other Dwarf planets like Ceres, Vesta, Sedna, etc to being planets.

Pluto is a planet. :angry:

18 hours ago, B787_300 said:

And what is wrong with that?

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

And what is wrong with that?

Because there are literally hundreds of them, and lumping every little ball of rock orbiting the sun into the same category as Jupiter and Earth would make the designation meaningless. Planets are the gravitational focal points that shape the solar system (aside from the Sun). The eight major planets do that; Pluto and Ceres do not.

On 25/01/2016 at 8:17 AM, Stoney3K said:

Even if they were to go for a Greco-Roman name, I suspect Vulcan and Cronus are definitely off the list because it would confuse the fans of a moderately popular science fiction show. ;)

In that respect I'd lean towards names like Atlas.

I don't think conflict with a sci-fi show would be an issue. However Vulcan was the name for a theorised (and since disproven) planet closer to the Sun than Mercury, and the "vulcanoids" are hypothesised asteroids orbiting in the same reason. Cronus is even worse, because it's the Greek name for the planet Saturn already (the deities being seen as corresponding).

I go to Dres from time to time. It's not that interesting, but it has nice terrain for roving and it makes a decent place to refuel on the way to/from Jool.

I do hope the developers find a way to make it more interesting in the future.

On January 27, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Mitchz95 said:

Because there are literally hundreds of them, and lumping every little ball of rock orbiting the sun into the same category as Jupiter and Earth would make the designation meaningless. Planets are the gravitational focal points that shape the solar system (aside from the Sun). The eight major planets do that; Pluto and Ceres do not.

But we humans are in the same category as a cat, it's just, that it's only the Kingdom, and idk about anything below that. But we are in the same category. Is it meaningless? No. It's a generic category, which then gets less and less generic on each level, family, genus, etc. With planets we could have Planets ( a kingdom-like taxon) where every free floating object orbiting a star (or multiple stars) that isn't fusing and is in hydrostatic equilibrium is within the category, and then Major Planets, Minor Planets, and so on. But all would still be planets. Ceres would be a planet, but not a major planet. Even the current definition of Dwarf Planet as held by the IAU isn't a planet. 

Also, I can call Ceres a planet. In fact, a lot of the peopl in some major scientific fields do.

On January 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Mitchz95 said:

I go to Dres from time to time. It's not that interesting, but it has nice terrain for roving and it makes a decent place to refuel on the way to/from Jool.

I do hope the developers find a way to make it more interesting in the future.

Well, they DID give it a ring system...

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

But we humans are in the same category as a cat, it's just, that it's only the Kingdom, and idk about anything below that. But we are in the same category. Is it meaningless? No. It's a generic category, which then gets less and less generic on each level, family, genus, etc. With planets we could have Planets ( a kingdom-like taxon) where every free floating object orbiting a star (or multiple stars) that isn't fusing and is in hydrostatic equilibrium is within the category, and then Major Planets, Minor Planets, and so on. But all would still be planets. Ceres would be a planet, but not a major planet. Even the current definition of Dwarf Planet as held by the IAU isn't a planet. 

Also, I can call Ceres a planet. In fact, a lot of the peopl in some major scientific fields do.

The only problem is that people generally have the idea that is similar to the IAU's definition of a planet (aside from the clear orbit part). However, calling dwarf planets planets would reduce the "specialness" of a planet, and in any case, they evolved differently than the planets. Sub Brown Dwarfs and Brown Dwarfs are generally considered "Failed stars", and should likely remain in its own category. 

Edited by fredinno

On 27.01.2016 at 11:46 PM, Mitchz95 said:

That is not answer to my question.

There are millions of starts and you don't see it meaningless to name all of them? Maybe we should pick only 10 starts and ignore rest?

What is wrong in living in solar system with more than 10 planets?

You can classify them using size for example "M class" ;) near Earth size (Venus would fit here)... but Ceres, Pluto and Eris etc are still planets.

14 hours ago, Darnok said:

That is not answer to my question.

There are millions of starts and you don't see it meaningless to name all of them? Maybe we should pick only 10 starts and ignore rest?

What is wrong in living in solar system with more than 10 planets?

You can classify them using size for example "M class" ;) near Earth size (Venus would fit here)... but Ceres, Pluto and Eris etc are still planets.

Why do most people want Pluto to remain a planet? Simple, they grew up with it being one. Why does this matter? Because being a planet is special, and Pluto was special to them; they didn't like to see it 'demoted'. If every insignificant little asteroid gets called a planet, that designation loses its value, and essentially you've done to all of the planets what has been done to Pluto.

30 minutes ago, NFUN said:

Why do most people want Pluto to remain a planet? Simple, they grew up with it being one. Why does this matter? Because being a planet is special, and Pluto was special to them; they didn't like to see it 'demoted'. If every insignificant little asteroid gets called a planet, that designation loses its value, and essentially you've done to all of the planets what has been done to Pluto.

Besides, when the astronomers went after Pluto, we all figured Mickey, Donald, and Goofy would be their next victims. ;)

10 hours ago, NFUN said:

But Pluto is not called asteroid, so why would you want to change taxonomy of asteroids to planets?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.