Realism Overhaul/RSS subforum in Add-On Discussions

legoclone09

RSS/RO Subforum (In Add-On Discussions)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

Hello guys! Today I'd like to ask if people want a Real Solar System and Realism Overhaul subforum here, since it is very popular and its threads in Add-On Discussions can confuse some people. It wouldn't be too hard and would take a few minutes. Discuss below!

The only reason I gave a no vote to this is the following:

What happens when people want subforums for other mods?  Do we then start favoriting certain mods over others?  Don't get me wrong, I love RSS + RO, but the specific forums are for what Squad has made, or been affiliated with.  The reason KerbalEDU has a subform is it is made in collaboration with Squad.  There's already a huge amount of subforums to begin with.  Maybe if it's under Add-on Releases, or one of the other add on forums, but making an entire subforum is a bit overboard.  I'm perfectly fine with something under Add-on Releases, though.

6 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

What happens when people want subforums for other mods?  Do we then start favoriting certain mods over others?  Don't get me wrong, I love RSS + RO, but the specific forums are for what Squad has made, or been affiliated with.  The reason KerbalEDU has a subform is it is made in collaboration with Squad.  There's already a huge amount of subforums to begin with.  Maybe if it's under Add-on Releases, or one of the other add on forums, but making an entire subforum is a bit overboard.  I'm perfectly fine with something under Add-on Releases, though.

I was meaning in Add-On Discussions, we can add a sub-subforum for it since it is made by a dev. By Sub-subforum I mean like this:

VysUPJz.png?1

Like how Tools and Applications is under Add-on Releases, but one for RSS under Add-on Discussions.

On 1/31/2016 at 11:15 PM, CliftonM said:

Clifton, your logic is good, however one could argue the scope and reach of RSS/RO is so huge, and has spun so many mods and basically changed the way to play the game that I think it could be treated as an exception and have its own sub forum. I see A LOT of people struggling with technical issues, spacecraft design & operation, mission planning, compatibility with other mods, etc. etc. that I just feel we reached a point  in which it would be appropriate to have a sub area for this mod suite, firstly to make it more accessible to other people and help those in need, but secondly (and imho the cream of all this) to foster exchange between players (crafts, stories, challenges), encourage modders and help the development of this awesome facet of the game

Big YES vote from me!

PS: I honestly, wholeheartedly believe that RSS/RO + all realism mods should be included in the official version of the game as a new game mode!!! :D

8 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

PS: I honestly, wholeheartedly believe that RSS/RO + all realism mods should be included in the official version of the game as a new game mode!!! :D

And that would prevent/slow most of the RSS/RO related development. What the stock game needs is easier way for mods to change some part of the game, not inclusion of things that the devs won't focus their time on (even with @NathanKell on board)

38 minutes ago, sarbian said:

And that would prevent/slow most of the RSS/RO related development. What the stock game needs is easier way for mods to change some part of the game, not inclusion of things that the devs won't focus their time on (even with @NathanKell on board)

agreed, you are right - actually now that I think about it RSS/RO has moved pretty swiftly and I wouldn't want that to stop - you put it nicely and think hit the spot, it'd be great if it was easier for modders to change the game

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2016 at 9:15 PM, CliftonM said:

What happens when people want subforums for other mods?  Do we then start favoriting certain mods over others?  Don't get me wrong, I love RSS + RO, but the specific forums are for what Squad has made, or been affiliated with.

1. Nathanael created RO and RSS. So yes, those mods are directly related to SQUAD.

2. The reason why this deserves a sub-forum is because it transforms the game into something completely different. Things like part, construction, resource, etc mods don't deserve sub-forums, but a whole new game type does deserve a separate place for discussion.

On 2/1/2016 at 9:34 PM, hypervelocity said:

Clifton, your logic is good, however one could argue the scope and reach of RSS/RO is so huge, and has spun so many mods and basically changed the way to play the game that I think it could be treated as an exception and have its own sub forum. I see A LOT of people struggling with technical issues, spacecraft design & operation, mission planning, compatibility with other mods, etc. etc. that I just feel we reached a point  in which it would be appropriate to have a sub area for this mod suite, firstly to make it more accessible to other people and help those in need, but secondly (and imho the cream of all this) to foster exchange between players (crafts, stories, challenges), encourage modders and help the development of this awesome facet of the game

Big YES vote from me!

This is the kind of logic I would wholeheartedly agree with.

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

1. Nathanael created RO and RSS. So yes, those mods are directly related to SQUAD.

2. The reason why this deserves a sub-forum is because it transforms the game into something completely different. Things like part, construction, resource, etc mods don't deserve sub-forums, but a whole new game type does deserve a separate place for discussion.

This is the kind of logic I would wholeheartedly agree with.

1. Yes, that's true. But don't you think that SQUAD employees are able to do things on their own time? IIRC, Nathan wasn't a part of SQUAD when that were originally developed.

2. In that case, don't you think that it might require a different forum altogether? If not, why do we not have separate subforums for the Science, Career, and Sandbox modes?

This discussion has come up many times, for different mods. At the end of the day though, we won't create special forums for mods. I think that if anything, this community has too many forums, not too few.

@Matuchkin The RSS/RO mods are not related to Squad. They were never official, nor were they related by (at the time) a Squad dev. Nathanael does great work for the game now, but that has nothing to do with his work on RSS/RO

33 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

This discussion has come up many times, for different mods. At the end of the day though, we won't create special forums for mods. I think that if anything, this community has too many forums, not too few.

@Matuchkin The RSS/RO mods are not related to Squad. They were never official, nor were they related by (at the time) a Squad dev. Nathanael does great work for the game now, but that has nothing to do with his work on RSS/RO

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't really think about it when I was typing. My main point was #2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.