Stock vessels

Pedronaut

25 minutes ago, Mr. Me said:

I know it is not well accepted by the community, but I got the Slim Shuttle to orbit with MechJeb Accent Guidance.

I also use MechJeb for most of the things. I kind of understand that people don't like it, but space agencies also use their own MechJeb :)

22 minutes ago, Reactordrone said:

They've both got enough to reach orbit so you may not be turning early enough,especially with the slim shuttle. With that one, you want to maximise the horizontal speed that you get out of the solid boosters with a fairly hard turn off the pad.

How many degrees, to be more precise?

22 minutes ago, Pedronaut said:

I also use MechJeb for most of the things. I kind of understand that people don't like it, but space agencies also use their own MechJeb :)

About 5° off the pad then hold prograde. You should have liquid fuel left in the tanks in orbit. I would usually drop the tank before final orbit and complete using the OMS engines though, to avoid debris.

12 hours ago, Mr. Me said:

I know it is not well accepted by the community, but I got the Slim Shuttle to orbit with MechJeb Accent Guidance.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact if you watch mechjeb fly it you can deduce when to turn when flying manually ...

4 hours ago, RW-1 said:

Nothing wrong with that, in fact if you watch mechjeb fly it you can deduce when to turn when flying manually ...

I am pretty new to the game and downloaded mechjeb after hearing people talk about it and I learned a ton just watching it get things into orbit for me. It has helped me design better rockets. I still occasionally like to fly my rockets "manually" but I think there is no shame in using it either. Real rocket flights are done this way too (trust me the folks at JPL are not trusting a rocket to the hands of one person if they don't have to). 

Welcome to the game and forums.

All opinions are valid, especially so with the much debated MJ issue.  I do recommend that, whatever your preferences, that you do learn to fly manually even if you don't do it a great deal.  It feels great when you achieve things yourself and there will be times when you can do it more reliably than MJ or may not have a choice.

19 hours ago, Pedronaut said:

I find it best not to do a gravity turn at a single angle, it should resemble a long gentle curve.  I begin my gravity turn when just a little off the launch pad, starting at a shallow angle.  As the rocket builds speed, I tip it further a little at a time as it goes up, until it is pointing about forty-five degrees or so when it hits fifteen kilometers, though exact angle will very based on thrust-to-weight ratios.  I try to keep the prograde vector moving along at that angle, anyway.  I tend to very the throttle at this point to keep it from going too fast, too soon, while maintaining enough thrust to keep it going up at that angle.  I switch the the map view at this point and bring up the navball, then watch the apoapsis rise.  Once the apoapsis is in the upper atmosphere (greater than 50 kilometers) I start gradually tipping the craft to point tangential to the surface.  As long as I keep thrusting prograde, the apoapsis will continue to rise, but the width of the arc of my flight will grow more quickly than the height.  Once the apoapsis reaches the maximum height I want to stabilize at (usually about 80 kilometers) I cut the throttle and coast up toward it.  Then set a maneuver node at the apoapsis to circularize the orbit, wait for the timing, an

A proper gravity turn is just that: letting gravity turn you. So long as your velocity vector isn't completely vertical, gravity will cancel out a bit of your vertical velocity each instant while leaving your horizontal velocity unchanged. As you can see, that slowly "pulls" your velocity vector "downwards". So a gravity turn is just (a) kicking over slightly at a fairly slow speed (50-100m/s tops) and then letting gravity do the rest.

20 hours ago, Basto said:

Real rocket flights are done this way too (trust me the folks at JPL are not trusting a rocket to the hands of one person if they don't have to). 

Heck, in the case of the shuttle, it wasn't even one computer ... it was five of them, and if an arguement ensued, there was a tiebreaker :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.