[1.2.2] Maneuver Node Splitter v1.7.0

nathan1

hey, @nathan1, thank you for creating and maintaining this essential add-on for KSP. I'm having a slight issue. When I setup an ejection burn from Kerbin to, say, Jool, and then use NodeSplitter, the predicted trajectory changes significantly, sometimes even to a point where I don't get an encounter anymore. I am splitting the node weeks prior to the ejection, so the time of the last segment of the ejection burn doesn't change. Why does this happen? Is there any way to fix it? As of now, I have to spend quite a lot of time fixing the nodes after splitting to restore the encounter at the right date, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of splitting.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 3:15 PM, aluc24 said:

hey, @nathan1, thank you for creating and maintaining this essential add-on for KSP. I'm having a slight issue. When I setup an ejection burn from Kerbin to, say, Jool, and then use NodeSplitter, the predicted trajectory changes significantly, sometimes even to a point where I don't get an encounter anymore. I am splitting the node weeks prior to the ejection, so the time of the last segment of the ejection burn doesn't change. Why does this happen? Is there any way to fix it? As of now, I have to spend quite a lot of time fixing the nodes after splitting to restore the encounter at the right date, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of splitting.

Hey, sorry I didn't see your question sooner.

Can you provide before+after screenshots showing how much the predicted trajectory has changed? Also, is this a stock solar system or are you using Kopernicus?

A few possibilities that may be causing your problem:

• You may have an encounter with the Mun or Minmus that throws your final trajectory way off. Be careful to check for that.
  • The final trajectory can sometimes be very dependent on ejection timing (depending on where your destination is and how precisely you want to preserve your planned trajectory), and even if you've planned the original maneuver node well in advance of the final ejection the split can move your final ejection by 10 to 20 minutes. When you make the split there will be a green text alert that says how much time difference there is between the original maneuver and the final ejection maneuver.

When I have trouble with the final ejection not lining up correctly I'll use an iterative process of adjusting the final split (i.e. the last maneuver prior to the ejection maneuver) by a tiny amount until the final ejection happens within 1 minute of when it was originally planned. Something like the following:

1. Set up the split how I want and apply it.
  2. Take note of how much time difference there is for the final ejection, and see how good the trajectory looks.
  3. Undo the split.
  4. Adjust the final split by a tiny amount (usually 1m/s) and re-apply.
  5. Check whether the time difference is smaller than before, and how good the trajectory looks.
  6. If the time difference is more than a minute go back to step 3.

• 5 months later...

@theJesuit by the rare frequency of posts it's not obvious if it still works - and just testing if a mod that says "1.2.2" in the title still works in 1.4.x is not the normal way imho.

But ofc I could try it - in a already modded install with the chance of having weird issues.

It seems to work in KSP 1.4.3 but I have to see the outcome after my split maneuver.

Edit:

Well, after the 1st burn the 2nd burn no more provides an encounter to the target body ...

I hope I can fix that later - even if I have to fiddle manually aka. stockalike.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.