Take the 64-Bit Pledge!

JedTech

Take the 64-Bit Pledge!  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pledge to use 64-bit KSP v1.1 even if 32-bit KSP is "more stable"?

• I Pledge to use 64-bit KSP v1.1 even if 32-bit KSP seems more stable
    • I will use whatever edition works best for me
    • I decline to answer because my brainz r having more to say about the fundamental.....
    • I plan on using 32-bit KSP v1.1

Put it this way, the last major update to this game was almost a year ago.  The whole point of this update for many users, including me, IS 64-bit.

If 64-bit doesn't work, the game will remain dead on arrival.

How dramatic!

I stopped playing in 1.0.5 because I simply couldn't load up all the mods I wanted (new planets + graphical fancies + numerous parts packs).

Has there been any hint that 1.1 won't have stable 64 bit? Everything I've read so far suggests that it is doing very well... And it would be very odd for Squad not to be aggressively pursuing any problems that arise. They know full well that the modding community contributed hugely to KSP, and that without it the game might not have flourished. Any sane strategy would declare 64 bit as an absolute must-have catastrophic-if-missed-out requirement.

@severedsolo
According to Steam:

Windows 7 64 bit   35.96% 
 Windows 10 64 bit   34.35%
 Windows 8.1 64 bit   14.71%
 Windows 7  8.15%
 Windows XP  2.43%
 Windows 8 64 bit  1.99%
 Windows 10  1.35%
 Windows 8.1  0.42%
 Windows Vista  0.29%
 Windows 8  0.17%
 Windows Vista 64 bit   0.14%
 Other  0.05%
64 bit total share: 87.15 %

Conclusion
There are still some people who don't run a 64 bit Windows but this group is shrinking.
I hope Microsoft will finally abandon 32 bit so that the 32/64 bit confusion will come to an end.

I really don't care about 64-bit, since I don't use that many mods to have any memory issues. All true mod junkies are already on Linux or 64-bit workaround, thus native win 64-bit client is just overhyped for unknown reasons.

The thing KSP really needs is optimisation and performance boost. Will 64-bit benefit to it in any way? - Nope, it has nothing to do with performance.

Will I use new client? - Well, I'll use the one, that performs better and 64-bit unlikely would be the one.

P.S. All that 64-bit hype is really meh.

18 minutes ago, *Aqua* said:
There are still some people who don't run a 64 bit Windows but this group is shrinking.
I hope Microsoft will finally abandon 32 bit so that the 32/64 bit confusion will come to an end.

That rather depends on whether Windows 10 really is the "last" version of Windows as MS claims. If that's the case, they aren't going to drop 32 bit support ever, because their hands are tied by the EULA.

13 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Will there even be a 32 bit version?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't. KSP on Linux has had a stable 64-bit build for ages but still ships with the 32-bit version as well. Seems like including a 32-bit version would be an easy way to stay compatible with more systems.

31 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Because that will magically make people switch to 64 bit? Windows XP is still on that list too...

XP isn't supported anymore by MS so it doesn't count. That OS is 15 years old! I guess a lot of modern games don't even run on it.

3 hours ago, severedsolo said:

That rather depends on whether Windows 10 really is the "last" version of Windows as MS claims. If that's the case, they aren't going to drop 32 bit support ever, because their hands are tied by the EULA.

You have a point there.
I think MS can bypass that by simply not pushing out updates for the 32 bit version. 5 years (or so) after the last update support will end and only the 64 bit version remains. (It's a bit similar to what happened to Win XP x64.)

4 hours ago, Bloody_looser said:

I really don't care about 64-bit, since I don't use that many mods to have any memory issues. All true mod junkies are already on Linux or 64-bit workaround, thus native win 64-bit client is just overhyped for unknown reasons.

The thing KSP really needs is optimisation and performance boost. Will 64-bit benefit to it in any way? - Nope, it has nothing to do with performance.

Will I use new client? - Well, I'll use the one, that performs better and 64-bit unlikely would be the one.

P.S. All that 64-bit hype is really meh.

Not really. I use loads of mods, but the 64x workarounds are super buggy and unsupported by mods, and I'm not making 90% of the games I own incompatible with my OS because squad hasn't gotten around to unity five.

My 1.0.5 is now playable with OpenGL. When 1.1 will come and all necessary mods will be updated I will certainly try 64 bit version with graphical enhancement mods, which I can not use now. If it is more unstable than 1.0.5 now I will try 32 bit without graphical mods. If 64 bit with graphical mods will be better or equal than 32 bit is now I am very happy.

5 hours ago, eddiew said:

Has there been any hint that 1.1 won't have stable 64 bit? Everything I've read so far suggests that it is doing very well...

I would summarize it as SQUAD stating their intent to make 64-bit work but not wanting to make it an ironclad commitment. I.e., they're trying hard to make it work, but just in case there are some unsolvable problems at the last minute, it's not a promise.

And it would be very odd for Squad not to be aggressively pursuing any problems that arise.

Personally I'm guessing they agree with you and that that's the reason this release is taking nearly a year to develop.

They know full well that the modding community contributed hugely to KSP, and that without it the game might not have flourished. Any sane strategy would declare 64 bit as an absolute must-have catastrophic-if-missed-out requirement.

Keep in mind that 64-bit was only one of the reasons for the Unity 5 migration. Another was console support, which opens up a whole new market and may or may not require 64-bit. So if they hypothetically ended up in a situation where 32-bit Unity 5 support was solid and 64-bit didn't work, it could still make sense to do a 32-bit release. Of course that would cost some community goodwill, but that would simply have to be weighed against all the other factors relevant to that decision.

Edited by HebaruSan

9 minutes ago, suicidejunkie said:

Better question: Why aren't you using 64bit already?

It doesn't cost you a dime to upgrade your OS.

It does not matter if your OS is 64 bit. KSP for Windows is a 32-bit application at this time, meaning that it cannot make use of more than about 4 gigabytes of RAM in any circumstances, even on 64-bit operating systems.

If you mean that people should upgrade to Linux, well, I can't say I don't share that opinion, but I also understand that most people don't want to put in the time it takes to install and learn how to use Linux, and I can't really blame them for that.

3 hours ago, Maars said:

right on brother!

and instead of crashing, linux 64bit just keeps on chugging.  love it.  love every minute of it

I once said that in the chat of a prominent KSP streamer. Said streamer called me a liar without himself having ever used KSP in Linux. I'm glad to see another person has had my experience of no crashes in Linux. Needless to say, my subscription ended soon after. I hate having my integrity called into question by the ignorant.

1 hour ago, suicidejunkie said:

Better question: Why aren't you using 64bit already?

It doesn't cost you a dime to upgrade your OS.

Some people might want to change their OS just for the sake of playing KSP.  For most its not a realistic option.  

Personally I am OS-agnostic, I use different OSs on different machines depending one what I use them for, I don't see the OS as a life-style choice or a badge of honor, just a tool to let me do things I need or want to do.  Right now, on the computer I play KSP on Windows is the best choice for me and if I'm going to "upgrade" the OS it will be to Windows 10.

(for the record I have used Windows (starting with 3.1 (ugh)), OS X, OS/2,  Linux, and BeOS (my all time favorite) on my various computers over the years)

Um, yes, I know that the last non-64 bit computer was sold somewhere back in the middle ages, but last time I checked (back when Rome ruled Europe) schools tended to be quite behind on upgrades — and KSP strives to provide educational benefits. Now, I don't have any precise stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if Squad had a small but valued (possibly for non-financial reasons) market segment that can't use 64 bit software, especially in the developing world. So I won't be surprised if the 32bit version gets kept around for a while, even if becomes a bit of a drag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.