Multiplayer dev. request.

Multiplayer or non-multiplayer expansion of the game?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. For several years now, Squad has blown us away with many amazing updates. So should we develop multiplayer or other new functions

• Multiplayer
    • Other
    • I am fine with whatever cool update Squad makes

I voted the third option. They are the developers and we are the players. Early access is over and I personally feel that they're not under obligation anymore (I mean, technically never, but I assume player input would have been invaluable pre-1.0) to work on what they don't want to. Multiplayer is on the roadmap, but until then we've gotta wait. They've said they're planning it.

I'm fine with what ever updates squad supplies us with.

That said I think setting agenda and saying multi-player is the focus for the next year of development and break it up in  3 or 4 releases to get to scope complete would help focus development on things both needed for multi-player but also to improve the game single player. 

Multiplayer should never take priority.

I have said that our third-party multiplayer works, but it's still horrendously buggy. Adding that stress to the already buggy mess that is Kerbal Space Program without fixing anything is an awful idea.

I do rather like the idea of multiplayer in KSP, but on further consideration, I also wonder how long its charm would last for a game like KSP even with a perfect implementation.

As I see it, KSP isn't really a game that has a good use for ingame interactions between players. There's no real way to do combat (yes, people will try, but don't talk to me about Macey Dean - actual real-time space combat in multiplayer, even without the inevitable lag, would be boring, chaotic, and frustrating), not much to gain from collaboration, and no real opportunities for fun competition (races to the Mun will just end up being a game of whose computer can handle more ridiculous giant rockets).

Dark Multiplayer is a cool experiment, but it's mostly used by people who understand its limitations and don't expect a lot from it other than what it says on the tin. If multiplayer functionality were integrated into the stock game, even with perfect solutions to the timewarp/quicksave and lag problems, there would still be the the expectation for Squad to provide something to do in multiplayer. Sure, collaborative contracts and joint missions to other planets will be fun for a little while, but what's next after those get boring?

If Squad decides that multiplayer makes sense to pursue after considering all the potential issues, I'll be just as excited to see what they come up with as anyone else, but I also don't think it's worth clamoring for. The technical details of multiplayer games are already quite a bear to deal with, and KSP just doesn't seem like a game that stands to gain as much from turning online as games of other genres might.

• 3 months later...

The problem with multiplayer or MMO is that most people suck. So if Squad could figure out how to do multiplayer and basically not have any people trying to all talk to me and stuff, I'm all for it.:wink:

10 minutes ago, razark said:

So, single-player, then?

Precisely. And by saying most people suck, I didn't mean to say that they suck at the game, I'm not judging anyone's gaming skills, people just suck in general. :D

Edited by Bigbootie
After reading my original quote again it could be interpreted to mean something different than I meant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.