A-wing Interceptor (from star wars)

Snikersnee

gAHu6eU.jpg

Flies pretty well (without hacking gravity mind you), but it has a short range. I have not tried to put bombs or rockets on it but feel free to share a screenshot of it with weapons if you want. Because of the landing gear placement, you have to come in at a very shallow angle, but it's not the biggest challenge.

[Download]

Edited by Snikersnee

Wow. Just the fact that you managed to get it anywhere close to aerodynamically stable is impressive, but it looks awesome. I might have to take a peek under the hood!

Rune. Is it aerodynamically stable, BTW? Or just a crapton of reaction wheels keeping it in check?

On 2/28/2016 at 8:04 AM, Rune said:

Or just a crapton of reaction wheels keeping it in check?

"Crapton": A new unit of measurement. Used for quantifying how much poo you got on your shoe when you stomped out the flaming bag-0-crap that was on your porch.

OR

Reaction wheels.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an awesome little craft.  I've downloaded it and added it to my Star Wars collection.  I've modified it a bit (OK well a lot - but the look is essentially the same) and I plan on using it in a video, I hope you don't mind.  I'll do it justice don't worry, and as always I will cite you as the designer.

9MHQqG2.png

JR

I added missiles, armor plating on the front, a droid and a landing engine for VTOL landings on small moons, and some Pirate Tech will also be included if I want to take it out for space battles.  It's a great little craft!  (BTW once the missiles are all fired it looks exactly like the original craft)

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Yeah I was going to include VTOL engines but because it had such little fuel, I thought it would be better to just not have them. Also figured it would be a carrier craft because of the fuel situation. You wouldn't mind linking the video here, would you?

On 3/21/2016 at 9:51 AM, Snikersnee said:

Yeah I was going to include VTOL engines but because it had such little fuel, I thought it would be better to just not have them. Also figured it would be a carrier craft because of the fuel situation. You wouldn't mind linking the video here, would you?

No problem, I'm hoping to start working on it this weekend.

JR

1 hour ago, Snikersnee said:

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

I actually quoted you in my most recent video on Droids.  It was a quick mention, and there will be a bit about it in the video I'm working on right now about the X-wing.  When do a full test flight of your craft I'll be sure to let you know.

JR

Great look and passably aero-dynamic! 

(The following off the top of my head without taking the craft apart for testing - just going on the images available)

Suggestion - there's a fun trick I've learned recently. It involves RUTHLESS amounts of parts clipping, but it's LEGAL parts clipping. As in - no cheats needed. 

Take a docking port - in this case one of the small ones. Find your center of mass/center of gravity (average between fueled and empty tanks) and plop it right on top of the ship in that spot. 

Now - take a reaction wheel, and find the attach node underneath the docking port. Remember - you used the SURFACE ATTACH to attach the docking port, and not the node - so you've still got it available! Attach it underneath the docking port. Now - use the rotation and offset tools to slide the docking port and reaction wheel inside the main body so that it's invisible from the outside! 

You can likely stack a couple of these things vertically inside even the small space allowed inside the body of this craft without any visible clipping through the outer hull. You can even compress them into each other and the docking port with the offset tool if you want to abuse this even further. 

Now - Voila! You have reaction wheels at your COG and not attached behind the cockpit. Throw away the ones behind the cockpit and put a fuel tank back there so you have more fuel!  You'll likely have to re-adjust the reaction wheel placement as you add fuel - but that's expected.

As a further bonus, the reaction wheels will be at the COG so they'll have better effect and you'll likely need less of them - which means less mass. More available for fuel and/or other things (VTOL thrusters perhaps?) 

Now - Voila! You have reaction wheels at your COG and not attached behind the cockpit

The reaction wheels are mainly for look. On the movie A-wing, there is a bit coming out of the back of the glass cockpit so I thought to kill two birds with one stone by putting the reaction wheels there.The craft does look loads better without them though. I'll work with it a bit more before I update the craft. EL8SrG9.png

Edited by Snikersnee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.