[1.1.2] Orbital Utility Vehicle v1.2.4

nli2work

Thats true 90% is Planetary Base Systems. It is an excellent mod for both surface bases and stations. The Hangers are 2 garages. I have other station designs that have more. Some of the pics I post are hyperedited into space for effect only. I do have working modular stations made in this fashion though using the docking ports in the Planetary Base Systems mod.

Also in 1.05 the habitat and greenhouse modules (really any window) is transparent and you can see the great graphics inside. This is really hard on 1.05 builds. As of this posting the mod works in 1.1 but the transparency isn't in yet.

Edited by Steel Dragon
added album

• 2 weeks later...

maintenance update for KSP 1.1
Adjusted Service Bay for more space.
Firespitter no longer required. Texture and fuel switch with ModuleManager.
Some additional surface attach area for Adaptor/Carrier

Edited by nli2work

Decided to make a parting video of my vehicle before starting a new save in 1.1

It all began with just 12 parts, upgraded the cutie via KIS as new parts were unlocked. It has caught 3 Asteroids and has tugged several station sections between Mun and Kerbin. Contains all the asteroid science parts from DMagic's pack.

Looks very lived in :3

Thanks again to @nli2work for this awesomeness.

Edited by Enceos

OK, something bizarre is going on. I have mod installed, i have Module Manager and Firespitter Core\dll installed. In the game i see all parts of the Tug...except the engines. Not present in the VAB, not visible in Research Center screen. I tried Career and Sandbox - nada.  I even tried to manually switch engines to another research node - didn't work. Reinstalling the mod - both manually and via CKAN didn't help either. Grabber and other movable parts work, so they definitely see the Firespitter. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

On 4/27/2016 at 6:14 PM, Scotius said:

OK, something bizarre is going on. I have mod installed, i have Module Manager and Firespitter Core\dll installed. In the game i see all parts of the Tug...except the engines. Not present in the VAB, not visible in Research Center screen. I tried Career and Sandbox - nada.  I even tried to manually switch engines to another research node - didn't work. Reinstalling the mod - both manually and via CKAN didn't help either. Grabber and other movable parts work, so they definitely see the Firespitter. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

No idea... engine doesn't have anything to do with Firespitter... Try removing the ":NEEDS[!Interstellar]" part after PART at the very top, does the engine load then? 

Edit; just tested with Interstellar-Extended in 1.1.2; everything seems in order. 

Edited by nli2work

This bug went away when i switched to fresh install of 1.1.1. It didn't appear in 1.1.2. either. I have a nagging suspicion it could be caused by TweakScale - it is about the only of my usual mods i haven't installed yet.

very strange, I do need to fix the MM part of engine config; but it doesn't have anything directly to do with TweakScale either. only if you have KSPI-E, which adds TweakScale to everything IIRC.

13 hours ago, nli2work said:

No idea... engine doesn't have anything to do with Firespitter... Try removing the ":NEEDS[!Interstellar]" part after PART at the very top, does the engine load then? 

Edit; just tested with Interstellar-Extended in 1.1.2; everything seems in order. 

This mod has an engine? Havent seen that before...

Ok having an issue with the command pod. When I initially launch a vehicle for the first time it is fine. Once I leave this vehicle and return to it (either switching from map or tracking station) the nav ball is flipped 180. I have taken other command pods and placed them on the same craft and the issue does not repeat. I can only get it to happen with the maned tug command pod. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

Did you try right-clicking on the command pod and selecting "control from here"? That should fix it.

Additionally, something tells me that you've got a docking port or claw somewhere on your craft that's rotated 180 from your command pod. It's rare, but sometimes the game switches the control point without you telling it to do so, particularly after docking or undocking.

If the only thing you can "control from here" on the vehicle is that command pod, then something's legitimately screwy.

Edited by SciMan

1 hour ago, Steel Dragon said:

Ok having an issue with the command pod. When I initially launch a vehicle for the first time it is fine. Once I leave this vehicle and return to it (either switching from map or tracking station) the nav ball is flipped 180. I have taken other command pods and placed them on the same craft and the issue does not repeat. I can only get it to happen with the maned tug command pod. Is anyone else having a similar issue?

I've had that happen with other pods and probes too. Usually when I do a lot of switching between space center and the vehicle. I don't know why it happens, can't replicate it consistently either.

Edited by nli2work

I use Throttle Controlled Avionics and it has an awesome squadron function that allows you to fly multiple craft together. I do this very well with the probe core command pod but the maned one glitches ever time.

I do have a docking port on the back side. this may be the cause on the maned pod I will test it.

Other than that I love this mod and hope to see you expand on it!!!

One more thing if you go into the config and set the scale to 2. It makes a great engine for larger craft too lol (don't forget to change the name)

Edited by Steel Dragon
awsomeness

Yeah the parts that have deployable dock/grabber have rotating docking nodes to prevent them from sticking to stuff when in "OFF" mode. ControlTransform are separate and should not be a problem... I'll check the setups in Unity before next update. 

I've had navball reversing on plain stock parts  when I'm testing parts and have to switch back and forth between spacecenter and the launched craft often. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to again say how much I love your mod. I was wondering if you have any more parts in development for it? I would love a matching fuel tank. Possible a radial mount one. If you do make it could you design it in a way that it fits on the side of the grappler (where the mesh textures are) .

Just looked at the update and have a request. Could you add one of those mini grapplers / Storage units but without the seat on it? Just wack off that front section where the eva chair is and it would fit great behind the drone probe module with a small grappler arm. That would be great and you already have 99% of it. please

Edited by Steel Dragon

there're plenty of different tanks out there I'm sure some will fit in that space? if there's one thing KSP doesn't lack it's fuel tanks... and engines... the radial resource tank fits rather well. I'll set up a config for a variant with FS fuel switch for next go.

The Grappler Jr. is intended for orbital construction with KAS/KIS; it'd be redundant without the command seat as there are already 3 other parts with grappler functionality.

I use TCA and have some great orbital tugs (will post pics soon). The tanks your right I do have some awesome tanks that I use with this but the other part I really do have a good use for. Using TCA I can fly in a squad and I want to use the drone probe core with the new part as the storage and the grapple are perfect (already made just slid the set into the back of the drone nose) but it wastes the storage inside the drone cone. Please it wouldn't take any extra work really just remove that part of the model give it a new name and take out the controls part of the code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.