I feel KSP's fun factor suffers the more realistic it becomes

Temeter

46 minutes ago, Maximus97 said:

Nice craft, though an interesting choice of delivery. Spacecraft Exchange, anyone?

Sure, why not:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-11362329/Carryall.zip.html

One version is just the vehicle, the 2nd one plus launcher. Delivery method is lazy mode, craft just needs to be refueled after orbit. Might have a fuel line to much, but works just fine. :D

15 minutes ago, steuben said:

what's the parts mod list for that?

Craft itself is B9 plus it's wonderfull HX parts pack. The launcher fuel tank/engine are the KW rocketry 5m parts.

Edited by Temeter

3 hours ago, regex said:

It's almost as if "fun" is entirely subjective.

Always thought one of the brillant things about KSP is how much freedom it gives you about how to enjoy the game, even though it still manages to convey so much about the challenges of real space flight. Mods, ofc, bring that whole thing onto another level.

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

Moar booster, anyone?

Originally I was planning to do a sensible set of booster rockets, using multiple stages and all that jazz. Then I went 'screw it', and slapped a bunch of Saturn 5 first stages on it! :D

10 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Always thought one of the brillant things about KSP is how much freedom it gives you about how to enjoy the game, even though it still manages to convey so much about the challenges of real space flight.

We could debate that until the cows come home.  >_>

But yes, mods do take that to a whole 'nother level.

Edited by regex

19 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Always thought one of the brillant things about KSP is how much freedom it gives you about how to enjoy the game, even though it still manages to convey so much about the challenges of real space flight.

Mehh, RL spceflight looks too easy. Just checked the SpaceX launch - those cheaters set up their nodes -before- even launching. And they probably have some supercomputer - no slowdowns during the entire process. Ok, that might be because of the low part-count.

Also... I want a mod that plays applauding if nothing gets destroyed on staging.

Also also...

latest?cb=20080627195642

Edited by Evanitis

26 minutes ago, regex said:

We could debate that until the cows come home.  >_>

But yes, mods do take that to a whole 'nother level.

Well, it teached me and a lot of other people how basic rocketry, orbital mechanics and interplanetary exploration works, which is more than almost any other game could do, all the while still being fun and accesible. That's already a lot, even if you could it much more realistic.

Take it this way: Realism Overhaul is amazing in it's own way, but you really need a lot of experience to even start with it. Even after hundreds of hours in KSP, RO has challenging concepts like ullage/ignition management and boil-off, which really force you to plan on another level. It's nearly impossible to get into it without experience, which makes RO different to stock.

Edited by Temeter

1 minute ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

I thought the realism factor was supposed to suffer the more fun you had.  Have I been doing it wrong? 

Everyone knows you can't have fun with realism, duh.

20 minutes ago, regex said:

Everyone knows you can't have fun with realism, duh.

Joking and sarcasm aside, I just started dipping my toes into RO/RSS/RP-0 and it's some of the most fun I've had since I started playing KSP. 

(also, your profile pic led me to discover Truckfighters, so thanks for that) 

5 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Joking and sarcasm aside, I just started dipping my toes into RO/RSS/RP-0 and it's some of the most fun I've had since I started playing KSP. 

I'm out of likes for the day. 

6 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Yeah, me too.  I keep a full vanilla install around for various things, mainly proving people wrong, but when I really sit down to play it's RO all the way.

6 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

They're not my favorite desert/stoner rock band but their first album cover is gold. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.