Why would you be a terrible space colonist?

Nightside

4 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

I love meat, beer, and cigarettes. None of them are practical for long- term space travel.

I can totally see myself setting up a brewery on the ISS, brewing "Rocket Juice" :P

Though I wouldn't be able to drink any due to excessive motion sickness...

Edited by Monsterlunch

On 3/7/2016 at 7:25 PM, RainDreamer said:

Can't survive high G launches. I would probably blackout at 2-3 G.

No problem, we will just launch you up-side down. Redout is much better.

My nerves could not stand living with others in crowded habitats. I am not disciplined enough to stay sane and productive in such extreme conditions. I hate risks but like to have good food, interesting hobbies and peaceful family live and I think that no life is better alternative than a bad live without hope that it could change in near future. Shortly, I have completely wrong attitude for pioneering work.

On 6.3.2016 at 7:46 PM, Elthy said:

I love meat way to much. Hard to get on mars...

You would not be the only colonist.

On 6.3.2016 at 11:26 PM, Vanamonde said:

Prone to motion sickness and congestion headaches. I would probably barf non-stop the whole time. 

How do you even cope with being a moderator?

On March 7, 2016 at 8:14 PM, GoSlash27 said:

I love meat, beer, and cigarettes. None of them are practical for long- term space travel.

Yeah, and Tofu, E-cigs and fake no alcohol beer just doesn't cut it. Even if the Tofu was cut in the shape of a steak.....nope.

As for me, I have too many traits like Tim Allen's character in "Last Man Standing".

a scientist in britain grew meat in a lab (60 pounds per pound for beef mince), my personal nicotine vaporizer has a better hit than a cigarette, and beer just means a slightly higher load on the co2 scrubbers (from the bubbles). i dont see a problem.

i think i would make a good colonist. At the very least shove me on a solo ten year round trip to the asteriod belt with only a geologists hammer for company. Plenty of time to catch up on ksp...

On 3/6/2016 at 9:18 PM, Jovus said:

I have a wife. She's not interested in going to Mars.

Nearly the same situation here. Not a wife... yet.

Even if I wasn't with her... I'd say females would be my weakness... a trip to mars is a loooonnnnggg time. Unless they are sending couples (and I was with a hypothetical woman who wanted to go), then count me out.

Actually... thats a long way to go anyway... to get to some wasteland... It would be "beautiful desolation" but I'm not sure I'd want to sit in a tin can for a year or two to see it. If it was truly a colonization mission, with a permenant stay there adn a new home... that will involve spacious house-caverns underground and such... sure... but just a flag and footprints , pick up some rocks for a few weeks, and come back? :/ I don't know, I have to think about the rest of my life and how much stuff I'd have to put on hold for it.

Can I sign up for a trip to the moon? that sound like the perfect destination: far enough away to be super cool, close enoguh that the whole thing takes just over a week.

On 3/7/2016 at 2:25 AM, RainDreamer said:

Can't survive high G launches. I would probably blackout at 2-3 G.

Thats not a problem for me, I know for a fact that I can tolerate over 6 Gs for at least a short duration. That was in an extra 300SL, which has one's torso "above" the relative gravity when pulling back on the stick... so on a rocket with one's back perpendicular to the line of thrust... I think a 4G launch would be no problem for me.

I am a little crass (really, really crass when I get angry), brutally honest when it comes to failure, a bit obsessed with safety, more than a little narcissistic, and end up taking over most projects regardless of if I am the designated leader or not.

In other words, I would have problems with working with others and doubtless some would hate me quite rapidly.

Edited by NuclearNut

16 hours ago, GDJ said:

Yeah, and Tofu, E-cigs and fake no alcohol beer just doesn't cut it. Even if the Tofu was cut in the shape of a steak.....nope.

As for me, I have too many traits like Tim Allen's character in "Last Man Standing".

You can make imitation meat (chicken) from soy. Likely it's not going to really take off until maybe a decade later on Earth, but a great option for space uses.

16 hours ago, SinBad said:

a scientist in britain grew meat in a lab (60 pounds per pound for beef mince), my personal nicotine vaporizer has a better hit than a cigarette, and beer just means a slightly higher load on the co2 scrubbers (from the bubbles). i dont see a problem.

i think i would make a good colonist. At the very least shove me on a solo ten year round trip to the asteriod belt with only a geologists hammer for company. Plenty of time to catch up on ksp...

I would imagine cellular growth meat would need too much equipment for space.

And you can make alcohol from the plants grown on board, or via ethanol production from your Sabitier CO2 scrubbers.

all you need to grow cells (aside from the liquid containing the nutrients), is a sterile compartment that has a controlled temperature and gas composition...

The equipment to control temperature and gas composition will already be on the vessel.... to keep the humans alive.

You'll need a centrifuge of some sort to keep the liquid from flying everywhere, of course, but if you already have such a centrifuge to keep the humans from deteriorating, then you're all set

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.