My monitor is terrible, what do?

My monitor has a resolution of 1600 x 1200. The aspect ratio is 4:3, which isn't the standard for YouTube, it would seem. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

When not in full screen the image has bars to the left and right. I'm pretty sure they're there if you're using a 16:9 monitor and full screen. Is this normal? I usually use Win. Move maker to edit videos. Is there a setting I can change there? I'd rather not lower the vertical resolution if it can be avoided.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining
re-wrote certain info because im stupid, also changed video

Just now, KerbonautInTraining said:

My monitor has a resolution of 1600 x 1200. The aspect ratio is 4:3, which isn't the standard for YouTube, it would seem. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

When I go to full screen the image has bars to the left and right. Is this normal? This was a video file straight from ShadowPlay, but I usually use Win. Move maker to edit videos. Is there a setting I can change there? I'd rather not lower the vertical resolution if it can be avoided.

I'm a little confused.  Are you talking about your experience in-game, i.e. the game shows bars to left and right when you go full-screen?  Or are you talking about YouTube, and/or video editing tools for it?

9 minutes ago, Snark said:

I'm a little confused.  Are you talking about your experience in-game, i.e. the game shows bars to left and right when you go full-screen?  Or are you talking about YouTube, and/or video editing tools for it?

Yeah, I was just editing the OP because I realized I messed up some of the info (and the video). Oop.

What I'm afraid of is somebody using a 16:9 monitor (I'm pretty sure that's a majority of people) would have those black bars.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

17 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

This is Gameplay Questions, what exactly are you trying to ask here?

Crap, this belongs in tech support doesn't it? Today is not my day...

What I'm asking is if my gameplay footage, which is 1600 x 1200, can be changed (or if it needs to be changed) to appear "normal" on a 16:9 monitor. Or if I need to change my in game resolution to fit a 16:9 monitor.

I feel like I'm not making any sense right now, which is never good.

Ah, okay, so this isn't a gameplay question, it's a video-editing question.

If you've recorded video at 4:3 aspect ratio, that's what it is.  There's no way to display that at 16:9 unless either you stretch it (which looks terrible) or crop off the top and bottom (which is likely to mess up stuff, especially if you want the navball and such to be displayed).

Not sure what forum this belongs in, but it has nothing to do with gameplay, so not sure whether this is the right place.  'Fraid I can't help you with practical suggestions, since I don't know what video editing tools are out there and never make game videos.

I'd recommend recording in 1280x720 in windowed mode, myself, which is both 16:9 and a "standard" HD video resolution. It also means "bigger" GUI elements, which is useful for Youtube viewers who watch in non-fullscreen mode or on smartphones. And in windowed mode you have quick access to other stuff like capture software contols and whatnot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.