A request to all life support modders

KSP Bro AE

This is a request to all life support (USI, TAC, Snacks) to change the way they are. 

Reasons:

1. Kerbals are green. Green implies photosynthesis.
  2. This means they should use water, sunlight, and CO2, and Oxygen (for cellular respiration
  3. Biproducts are a water (from cellular respiration), and Oxygen.
  4. So basically all Kerbals need to survive is sunlight. 

Just look up the process of photosynthesis if you want to know why it would be an infinite cycle.

39 minutes ago, KSP Bros said:

Kerbals are green. Green implies photosynthesis.

Implying that little green aliens will always utilize photosynthesis.

Write your own mod.  Several of the existing life support mods probably have permissive enough licenses for you to borrow their code.  Not to mention you can possibly do it all with Module Manager scripts.

Edited by regex

10 minutes ago, regex said:

Implying that little green aliens will always utilize photosynthesis.

Write your own mod.  Several of the existing life support mods probably have permissive enough licenses for you to borrow their code.  Not to mention you can possibly do it all with Module Manager scripts.

Good idea. I'll probably modify TAC.

Thank you for the idea!

Edited by KSP Bros

15 minutes ago, KSP Bros said:

Good idea. I'll probably modify TAC.

Thank you for the idea!

Just remember that even if the license is permissive, it's always nice to ask.  But, again, Module Manager scripts can probably do all the heavy lifting.

Good luck!

I like this idea! It definitely needs to be its own mod though, and it would go great with the Little Green Men from Mars/Duna mods. 

I do question your reason for wanting this though... For me, the point of a life support mod is to limit the duration of trips. If you want infinite life support, just play stock and let your imagination fill in the details. 

Perhaps like solar panels Kerbals are less effective further from the sun....

1 hour ago, KSP Bros said:

This is a request to all life support (USI, TAC, Snacks) to change the way they are. 

Reasons:

1. Kerbals are green. Green implies photosynthesis.

Counterpoint:

l422188496.jpg animals_00962.jpg

retf_247.jpg d2bb482608b7947d8dc1e70c5be49462.jpg

Green_Animals_4x.jpg Green_Animals_6x.jpg

(Credit: google image search for "green animals")

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

I like this idea! It definitely needs to be its own mod though, and it would go great with the Little Green Men from Mars/Duna mods. 

I do question your reason for wanting this though... For me, the point of a life support mod is to limit the duration of trips. If you want infinite life support, just play stock and let your imagination fill in the details. 

Perhaps like solar panels Kerbals are less effective further from the sun....

Maybe I could make a value fore solar energy and to replenish it far away from Kerbol, you would need internal lights or something.

Note that I am very inexperienced in stufflike this, so the mod will probably not come out in quite a while.

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Counterpoint:

l422188496.jpg animals_00962.jpg

retf_247.jpg d2bb482608b7947d8dc1e70c5be49462.jpg

Green_Animals_4x.jpg Green_Animals_6x.jpg

(Credit: google image search for "green animals")

Good counterpoint. But count how many species of photosynthesizing vs. non-photosynthesizing green organisms. The Kerbals might have made green suits for themselves to do photosynthesis.

3 minutes ago, m4v said:

That image was edited, Clownfish aren't green.

It is an actual thing. Look it up.

18 minutes ago, KSP Bros said:

It is an actual thing. Look it up.

look it up how? by googling "green clownfish"? that way we could agree that unicorns are real too.

edit: here, this is the original image

Edited by m4v

• 2 weeks later...

Even if Kerbals are green to photosynthesise, I doubt they have enough skin area for the energy they use. Let's see if we can make a rough estimate (I used to have to do this when I was using a slide rule.)

Human energy requirement: 10,500 kJ per day

Solar energy input to surface: 240 W/m2

That works out at about half a square meter continuously exposed to the Sun and absorbing energy at 100% efficiency.

Double the area to allow for night. Efficiency figures seem to vary a lot but I am just trying to get a rough idea. 5% efficiency is at the high end of the range, so we can make a rough guess that a human would need 20 m2 of skin exposed to the sun.

That's a lot more than reality, and we would have to assume transparent space suits.

Don't hit me, Valentina! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.