NASA uses clipping

godefroi

NASA, for violating the no-debug-menu code, I hereby sentence you to permanent space shuttle retirement!

--Why the space shuttles were cut

On 3/3/2016 at 4:05 PM, Camacha said:

32 minutes ago, godefroi said:

Well, there are those that would say, if NASA does it...

True story.  :cool:

6 minutes ago, RW-1 said:

Sorry, I don't see it, the pods extend past the main body section for the OMS and RCS nozzles ... not clipped IMO.

You'll notice the frame of the OMS clips into the engine fairing...look just to the left and right of the base of the tail.

NASA "part clipping" is nothing like KSP part clipping. Where NASA clips the parts, the part it is clipped into can not function in the clipped area. Maybe this should be added to KSP too. At least something like reduced fuel capacity in the clipped part.

5 minutes ago, KSP Bros said:

NASA "part clipping" is nothing like KSP part clipping. Where NASA clips the parts, the part it is clipped into can not function in the clipped area. Maybe this should be added to KSP too. At least something like reduced fuel capacity in the clipped part.

Quantum superposition.

To be fair, there is debug menu 'clipping enabled' clipping, and then there's part translation tool clipping, and it looks like they didn't used the cheat menu for this one.

On the other hand, those Russians. Did you see where the parachute is on the Soyuz?

launch28modules-tmagArticle.png

Edited by Nicole

Why yes. NASA does indeed reshape parts to fit the constraints of the mission. That's why I don't particularly mind mashing structural bits through other parts on my ships in KSP. I'll sometimes even mash a fuel tank into something if I feel like there's enough extra space in there (e.g. the Size 2 probe core, which is way bigger than its constituent modules) or I can make up the required volume with a nose cone.

I still disapprove of clipping wings and command pods though, which as we can see here is something NASA does not do ;P

NASA isn't using clipping, they're using the Offset tool! Derrrr! I do the same thing with my designs. I hide ugly parts like RCS jets by offsetting them under the hull of my ships, and they work just fine.

C'mon, people, this isn't rocket science!

14 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

thats all legit as long as they dont clip fuel tanks into fuel tanks. You cannot put a gallon of milk into a gallon of milk, for example.

SpaceX cheats ! they use subcooling to put more fuel in the same volume !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.