One with everything

16 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I added some scoring to the OP, and scored you attempt.  If you think I messed anything up, PM me. :)

This works for me. Thanks! this thing was fun, I think I'm going to try a slightly more realistic spaceplane on Duna coming up.

I have an entry to submit to the challenge that I think (I really hope!) meets the challenge rules.

The flight of the OW1 (One With 1).

So this was a trip from Kerbin to the Mun surface, then Duna surface, Minmus surface and finally back to a splashdown on Kerbin.

The vehicle had a total of 54 parts, which would have been quite a bit higher if I'd read the challenge rules properly (I didn't see that you scored for the number of parts per milestone). If I had read them properly I would have loaded up with sensors, lights etc. (any super light weight stuff) to boost my points score.

There were a few hiccups along the way.

- Forgot to remove oxidiser from some of the small tanks, so was dragging that dead mass around until I left them behind on the Duna surface

- Forgot to test if my chutes for the Duna landing were balanced (they weren't) so had to cut one of them immediately after deployment, so a little more dead mass

- For good measure I didn't actually need the heat shield on the capsule as the batteries and ion drive protected it in re-entry, so could have lost that as well

Points Tally

For this I removed two of the parts from the calculation for the Minmus and Kerbin landings as they (a couple of unprotected solar panels) were ripped off when aero-braking on my return to the Kerbin system.

Please check my calculation in case I've misunderstood anything. It's a bit higher than the other entries, so I'm suspecting I slipped up somewhere.

Does not explode on launchpad: 10 pts.+54 parts

Lifts off successfully: 15 pts. +54 parts

Suborbital trajectory: 30 pts. +54 parts

Orbit: 50 pts. +44 parts

Return one Kerbal to Kerbin safely: 50 pts. +12 parts

Return all command pods (including the command chair, not including any probe core.)(They don't have to be crewed) to Kerbin safely: 70 pts +12 parts

Mun fly-by: 100 pts. +44 parts

Mun orbit: 125 pts. +38 parts

Mun landing: 175 pts. +38 parts

Minmus landing: 150 pts. +12 parts

Solar orbit: 100 pts. +38 parts

Duna fly-by: 150 pts. +38 parts

Duna orbit: 175 pts. +38 parts

Duna landing: 225 pts. +38 parts

Return from Duna system to safe Kerbin landing: 75 pts. +12 parts

For a total points tally of 2026

Edited by purpleivan

10 hours ago, purpleivan said:

I have an entry to submit to the challenge that I think (I really hope!) meets the challenge rules.

The flight of the OW1 (One With 1).[....]

For a total points tall of 2026

That looks perfect to me!  Nice work on completing it, using lots of destinations rather than lots of parts. 

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, NightshineRecorralis said:

@Mad Rocket Scientist

Perhaps you could check my submission in this thread? It is really img heavy and I don't want to post it again. Sorry!

Looks good!

Let me score it for this challenge:

Does not explode on launchpad: 10 + 59

Lifts off successfully: 15 + 58

Suborbital trajectory: 30 + 52

Orbit: 50 + 52

Minmus landing: 150 + 7

Mun fly-by: 100 + 6

Mun orbit: 125 + 6

Mun landing: 175 + 6

Solar orbit (for jool probe) 100 + 10

Solar orbit (for duna probe) 100 + 14

Jool orbit (I didn't originally have this as an objective.  Tell me if you think it should be higher, as I added it after you submitted it.) 225 + 10

Duna landing: 225 + 14

Ike landing 200 + 10

Eeloo fly-by (also added for your submission): 175 + 6

Vall fly-by (added for your submission) : 100 + 10

Laythe fly-by (added for you submission): 100 + 10

= 2,210

Tell me if you think I messed up my math.

On 19.03.2016 at 0:10 AM, 5thHorseman said:

There goes my detatchable Mun lander :D

Though... The Claw... Hmmm.

I'm hoping to start this in a couple hours. It'll be on Twitch and I'll also put it up on YouTube eventually. I'll post here if/when I start.

You realize the standard docking port, shielded docking port, inline MK1 docking port, and inline MK2 docking port are all distinct parts?

1 hour ago, Sharpy said:

You realize the standard docking port, shielded docking port, inline MK1 docking port, and inline MK2 docking port are all distinct parts?

As far as I know, you can't open the shielded docking port or the inline port in the VAB in the stock game (I use Tweakable Everything normally so don't even know what you can and can't do anymore, but back in the day you couldn't). I suppose I could have mounted the lander on top, facing forward with the shielded port on top, and after reaching orbit do an Apollo and flip it around. But I didn't think of that :)

38 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

As far as I know, you can't open the shielded docking port or the inline port in the VAB in the stock game

You can open it, but it provides no node or surface to attach.

Still, you have two options:

- You can attach anything to a standard (non-inline) port in VAB and use "Decouple Node" to release it. So, say, your lander has an inline port. You stick the lander to the main craft's docking port (or any arbitrary decoupling system, be it 'formal' or 'explosive'), by the lander's engine, or any other node (even by the inline attachment side of the inline docking port, if you want to be extra cynical) and upon return use the docking ports normally.

- if two not normally connected ports are aligned perfectly (visually) in VAB, they will connect immediately on launchpad. So attach the lander by any decoupling system with the port aligned, and it will catch, then you can decouple the lander and it remains attached to the port.

Spoiler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.