The Bismarck! German Battleship Replica (Reduced Parts Version Released!)

Good lord. I'd sail it but I'm not too into mods.. or installing so many at least. The detail on this is remarkable!

10 hours ago, kmMango said:

I must now go home and install this mod plus BD Armory.

Then I shall build a Swordfish.

I've always thought the attack on the Bismarck was the inspiration for the Death Star Trench Run. A bunch of tiny outgunned fighters, attacking one of the most advanced vessels in existence which is carrying enough firepower to utterly annihilate the rebels/supply convoys. Finally, somebody scores a one in a million hit that cripples the super weapon. 

I know the whole Nazis=Empire thing is well known. My inner history nerd just loves all the details, and wonders if they were intentional (TIE Fighter screech= Stuka Jericho Trumpet, Hoth=Operation Barbarossa.) 

I also built a Swordfish once, but left it rotting because of the impossibility of making torpedoes in KSP, plus its poor performance.

vyajkgo.jpg

6 hours ago, Columbia said:

Good lord. I'd sail it but I'm not too into mods.. or installing so many at least. The detail on this is remarkable!

I also built a Swordfish once, but left it rotting because of the impossibility of making torpedoes in KSP, plus its poor performance.

vyajkgo.jpg

Nice! As for the poor performance, I'd call that historically accurate. I don't think the Swordfish was known for breaking the sound barrier.

Also, like most things missing in KSP, There's A Mod For ThatTM

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

I have a swordfish with a torpedo, though the boat may be able to outrun the torpedo, it was from before buoyancy though

It deploys the torpedo with a chute and seperatons to avoid destroying it on impact with the water, it would probably be much faster now, will have to test it out.

Edited by selfish_meme

On 3/25/2016 at 10:38 AM, SaturnianBlue said:

Hmm, I'd be interested if you could build a fairly low part count Arado seaplane to go with the Bismarck.

@Azimech I used quite a few large boilers. Probably went overkill, but I can use redundancy as an excuse. :P 

Well, I tried a hand at it, turns out seaplanes are far harder than I'd expect..

8oRVvI7.png

RqaJoUr.png

PKHVctu.png

Oh well.

14 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Here's the next version of the Bismarck, with the Maltese Cross and stripes.7BG7hOQ.pngGxLdCcA.png

1. Wasn't dazzle-camo used on Allied vessels? *EDIT* Nevermind, dazzle camouflage looks far more insane than this.

2. Isn't there supposed to be a swastika, not a maltese cross?

bism40.gif

5 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

1. Wasn't dazzle-camo used on Allied vessels? *EDIT* Nevermind, dazzle camouflage looks far more insane than this.

bism40.gif

As he and pTrevTrevs said, the swastika wouldn't fit so well on the forums.

I guess if I tried hard enough I can get the Arado aloft, but one is already 197 parts and so two of them would insanely impact the ship's part count.

24 minutes ago, Columbia said:

As he and pTrevTrevs said, the swastika wouldn't fit so well on the forums.

I guess if I tried hard enough I can get the Arado aloft, but one is already 197 parts and so two of them would insanely impact the ship's part count.

From the fury of the RAM limit, O, 1.1, deliver us!

Finished and online. Very easy to take-off, fly and land. Take-off/land speed: 25 m/s. Has 4 normal landing gear embedded in the floats so easy to build catapult guidance frame for it. You can easily adjust CoM with changing fuel contents of the floats. 132 parts without guns or bombs. Economy cruise @ 33% throttle.

Download link

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

Finished and online. Very easy to take-off, fly and land. Take-off/land speed: 25 m/s. Has 4 normal landing gear embedded in the floats so easy to build catapult guidance frame for it. You can easily adjust CoM with changing fuel contents of the floats. 132 parts without guns or bombs. Economy cruise @ 33% throttle.

Download link

Aaaand... you beat me to it. Great work!

Thank god I no longer have to deal with the nuisance that is the Arado.

On March 28, 28 Heisei at 9:07 AM, Azimech said:

How did you do the camo?

I used WW2 Warship deck plating, and some tweaks called small hard points. Kerb paint.

On March 28, 28 Heisei at 11:45 AM, Matuchkin said:

Yeah, I didn't want to face the somewhat touchy subject of the swastika as it is today, so yea, a Maltese Cross.

19 hours ago, Azimech said:

Download link

Awesome! I'll try to build a catapult system, though there may have been a bit of an error in the space between superstructures, but hopefully the plane will fit! Thank you!

Edited by SaturnianBlue

5 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:
5 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Also, I wonder if any of you can help me collect sources for my HMS Hood project, I've found plenty of good ones, but none of them have dimensions.

Also, I wonder if any of you can help me collect sources for my HMS Hood project, I've found plenty of good ones, but none of them have dimensions.

A quick Wikipedia scroll found this:

bt7l13Q.jpg

Also, I attempted to sail the Bismarck, turns out you need KJR for WW2 Warships to work.. I'm okay with installing a lot of mods if it means being able to sail it, but I draw the line at KJR.

But it resulted in one spectacularly huge nuclear bomb-esque explosion of epic proportions.

I'm still in the "Kerbal Joint Reinforcement needs to be stock or at least something similar" bandwagon..

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

A quick Wikipedia scroll found this:

bt7l13Q.jpg

Also, I attempted to sail the Bismarck, turns out you need KJR for WW2 Warships to work.. I'm okay with installing a lot of mods if it means being able to sail it, but I draw the line at KJR.

But it resulted in one spectacularly huge nuclear bomb-esque explosion of epic proportions.

I'm still in the "Kerbal Joint Reinforcement needs to be stock or at least something similar" bandwagon..

The wiki measurements are a bit basic, but I suppose they can still help. KJR unfourtunatly is that one required mod. Now what could have caused such an explosion? :) 

Yeah stock joints just can't handle the mass of the parts. But KJR is A: very stable and B: has no performance impact on your system. My only wish is that I could change the joint strength per part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.