The "You know you're playing a lot of KSP when..." thread

Phenom Anon X

when you watch a KSP video oon Youtube, try to rotate the view with your mouse and get annoyed when that doesn't work.

I also tend to keep trying to skip the boring bits of the video with ">".

And when that doesn't work I start thinking "Do I have the throttle up?".

Sometimes I even hit ALT-> before I realize how silly I'm being.

You daydream and draw out a ship design for later use in KSP.

I once drew a 100+ part Jet-powered rocket-assisted during emergencies VTOL hovercar while bored without my PC. I calculated its mass in my head and on paper from memory of the mass of each part, then determined TWR and estimated FAR aerodynamic properties from there based on the cross-sectional area. It even included action groups, and emergency parachute and ejector-seat system, an estimate of top overland speed, maximum angle of attack to hover, aerodynamic effects if I added wings/fins on it, etc. Turns out, it worked almost perfectly as expected.

You have memorized the Natural log of mass-ratios likely to occur in KSP, as well as the Isps and thrusts of most rockets.

From memory alone:

Turbojet: 225 Thrust stock, 200 FAR (really more like 170 and 150) Isp is 800 ASL and 1200 in a vacuum. Mass=1.2 tonnes

Basic jet: 150 Thrust stock, 140 FAR (Only at low speeds regardless) Isp is 2000 ASL and 1000 in a vacuum. Mass=1.0 tonnes

Mainsail: 1500 Thrust, Isp is 330/280. Mass=6 tonnes

Skipper: 650 Thrust, Isp is 350/300. Mass=4 tonnes

Poodle: 225 Thrust, Isp is 390/270. Mass=2.75 tonnes

LV-T30: 215 Thrust, Isp is 370/320. Mass=1.25 tonnes

LV-T45: 200 Thrust, Isp is 370/320. Mass=1.5 tonnes.

LV-909: 50 Thrust, Isp is 390/300. Mass=0.5 tonnes.

LV-N: 60 Thrust, Isp is 800/220. Mass=2.25 tonnes.

48-7S: 30 Thrust, Isp is 350/300. Mass=0.1 tonnes, making it more efficient to pile 50 of these onto the bottom of a craft using cube struts than to use a mainsail. Only disadvantage is part count as associated lag.

Toroidal Aerospike: 175 Thrust. Isp is 390/388. Mass=1.5 tonnes.

Ion engines: 0.5 Thrust, Isp is 4200. Mass is 0.25 tonnes. Consumes ~14.7 units of electricity and 1.225 units of Xenon per second at full power.

Log base e of various numbers from memory:

2=.7

3=1.1

5=1.6

9=2.2

Remember random encyclopedic facts about KSP worlds:

Moho:

Brown, giant pits, 200-something km in radius. .36 G. Elliptical orbit requiring about 2.6 km/s Delta-V to reach.

Eve:

Atmosphere is 5x normal ASL density, scale height is 7 km, planet is 700 km in radius, 1.7 G. Purple. Oceans are common as are almost Himalaya-sized mountains making for some steep terrain. It takes about 1300 m/s dV to reach. 100 km thick atmosphere.

Gilly: 13 km radius with like .03 G of gravity in an elliptical orbit around Eve

Kerbin:

Remember the rough continent layout, could draw a relatively good map from memory. 600 km radius. 1 G gravity and normal atmosphere with 5 km scale height and 70 km thick atmosphere.

Mun: 200 km in radius. 0.16 G.

Etc.

• 2 weeks later...
when you watch a KSP video on Youtube, try to rotate the view with your mouse and get annoyed when that doesn't work.

Yeah, I do that way too often.

A few days ago I was cooking, and for just an instant I tried to turn on 4x physics warp! (You know, because if you put it on rails, it just sits in the pan not cooking)

Yeah, I do that way too often.

A few days ago I was cooking, and for just an instant I tried to turn on 4x physics warp! (You know, because if you put it on rails, it just sits in the pan not cooking)

Today, I was uploading a picture to Facebook and it was taking a while. I actually pressed the period key a couple times before I realized that you cannot, in fact, 10000x-warp reality.

I have to admit I dreamt out a great Duna lander last night. Had my orange team stranded there - the lander knocked its return engine off on landing. So this morning I woke up (thankfully I didn't have to go to work today), got me a cup of tea and promptly built said lander, before I forgot the design. It worked beautifully, Jeb, Bill and Bob are back home. There.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.