OSIRIS-REx Asteroid Sample Return

6 hours ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

P.SS Just between you and me Ionstorm i am planning on becoming a NASA/JPL Spacecraft engineer when i grow up

i will be 18 in March Next Year

If you're good you should consider becoming a NASA/GSFC engineer.:D  (There is a little rivalry between JPL and Goddard, where I work and from where OSIRIS-REx is managed.)

3 hours ago, Bev7787 said:

I found an article in an All about Space annual on the mission with a concept artwork, mind if i post here?

Please do.

Hey Ion storm 

I got a question 

I know liquid Hydrogen in the Centaur Boils off over time what would that boil off equevalent if you converted LH2 Loss to liquid fuel units loss per hour, Day Ect

Because if i use my centaur upper stage to Enter Eve orbit i want to know how much IRL Dv i would have left

to make the mission More Realistic

Edited by Ourworldalpha1

8 minutes ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

I know liquid Hydrogen in the Centaur Boils off over time what would that boil off equevalent if you converted LH2 Loss to liquid fuel units loss per hour, Day Ect

Because if i use my centaur upper stage to Enter Eve orbit i want to know how much IRL Dv i would have left

to make the mission More Realistic

For OSIRIS-REx, the Centaur is only used for the first 40 minutes (see below image from a NASA Social).  After that only the monoprop engines on the spacecraft are used, so LH2 boiloff is not a big problem.  

lqhrlOq.jpg

Just now, IonStorm said:

For OSIRIS-REx, the Centaur is only used for the first 40 minutes (see below image from a NASA Social).  After that only the monoprop engines on the spacecraft are used, so LH2 boiloff is not a big problem.  

lqhrlOq.jpg

Got that'

But what i said IF you were to use the centaur in deep space how long would it take to lose all of the LH2 for in my case 

Deep space maneuvers 

5 minutes ago, Ourworldalpha1 said:

Got that'

But what i said IF you were to use the centaur in deep space how long would it take to lose all of the LH2 for in my case 

Deep space maneuvers 

Ah, a hypothetical based on a launch system doing something it wasn't designed to do.  According to this http://www.ulalaunch.com/uploads/docs/Published_Papers/Upper_Stages/CentaurUpperstageApplicabilityforSeveralDayMissionDurationswithMinorInsulationModificationsAIAA20075845.pdf it could be modified with 100 pounds of extra insulation to reduce boiloff to 1%/day.

I am very tempted to make a replica of this mission but I am busy with a curiosity replica (Just finished the Centaur upper for it) and someone from an Academy of aerospace quality is waiting for my Constellation mission craft for a conference talk in September (fingers crossed they like and use it) so I am very busy in KSP. :)

If you folks are still about in a few months I will start it. I have all the reference pictures and info I need now.

4 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

~snip!~

Do it, man! I'm working on getting my computer set up, but as soon as I have one I'm gonna start on this. You've got some good competition here, both stock and modded.

IIRC, the competition ends 30 days after the launch. The window is from September to October, but you'll want to check with @IonStorm about that.

5 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Do it, man! I'm working on getting my computer set up, but as soon as I have one I'm gonna start on this. You've got some good competition here, both stock and modded.

IIRC, the competition ends 30 days after the launch. The window is from September to October, but you'll want to check with @IonStorm about that.

OOH ok! I will have a look at the current submissions. It would be for stock KSP, tenth scale bodies ect.

4 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

OOH ok! I will have a look at the current submissions. It would be for stock KSP, tenth scale bodies ect.

I think that's mostly OK, but there might have been a asteroid that you needed to install, or rendezvous with a stock one.

Just now, Dman979 said:

I think that's mostly OK, but there might have been a asteroid that you needed to install, or rendezvous with a stock one.

I would of course make it fully mission capable and fly the mission myself too.

This is an interesting mission to recreate. I really enjoyed crating the automated solar panels with kOS. The robot arm to extract a probe was fun too.

I had to use infinite electric Charge at many points due to not properly adjusted solar panels.

Some config files setting are different from standard. (The dish range to 30 Gm and the weight of steel plates to 7.5 kg / m^2). 

Without doing all the homework prior to the mission, I flew this: https://youtu.be/oCXegq3YlBU 

There are still many bugs in my code, after struggling with the simplified (KSP) version of the mission, one learns to appreciate how much the profiles have to think things through.

If you are hunting for more information for mission realism there is a media event today:

What: NASA Headquarters Press Briefing on the Launch of OSIRIS-REx

When: Today, Wednesday, Aug. 17 at 2 pm EDT

How to Watch: The broadcast will be on NASA TV and live streamed through their website at http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

More Details, including a full list of speakers: http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-host-media-briefing-on-launch-of-asteroid-bound-spacecraft

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.