Boeing 787 Dreamliner

http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/commercial/787/assets/images/marquee-787.jpg

I've been working a little on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, it was not really supposed to be a KSP mod, more like some personal modelling and texturing training, but I thought about it, and I came to the result that it might not be a bad idea to also make it a KSP mod, so here we go! I will make some simplifications here and there (flaps for example), but will try to make it overall close to the real thing. I will probably use the stock gear though. I will also try to do an IVA (never did that before), but I will first need to set up everything else, which could be a bit harder because I've never made plane parts for KSP before. I'll keep you informed about my progress here! :)

So, I finished the models I think (note that the engine fan is still missing, I will texture that):

A5SB6Vn.png

LtdZBcR.png

Tg7frcE.png

Hope you'll like my little project! :)

Are you going to make the flaps as airbrakes or simply an animation? On the A300/Octosat development thread, Nookos mentioned that right now it isn't possible to use flaps as the proper way as they should, so he made the flaps act as airbrakes on his A300.

However, if Squad adds a module that makes it possible to add flaps to aircraft.... (I haven't tried 1.1 beta yet)

4 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

Are you going to make the flaps as airbrakes or simply an animation? On the A300/Octosat development thread, Nookos mentioned that right now it isn't possible to use flaps as the proper way as they should, so he made the flaps act as airbrakes on his A300.

However, if Squad adds a module that makes it possible to add flaps to aircraft.... (I haven't tried 1.1 beta yet)

:D I actually don't know if it's possible. There might be a way to have them produce extra lift while deployed. I only tried one way ( lifting surface with an animation on them and it made the whole plane wobble and then accelerate ridiculously fast till it exploded) After that devastating failure I just set them up as airbrakes and postponed more testing..

So I ll be following this mod closely. Good luck @Kartoffelkuchen. Nice model.

2 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Looks cool.

Could you make an adapter so we can do Stratolaunch/Pegasus stuff?

An adapter? Why? :P

You can just surfaceattach and build your rocket with a radial decoupler under it... ;)

@Nookos Well, you can make the stock parts deploy and retract, so I think it's definitely possible, though I've never made a wing before. :P I simply have to see! ^-^

Thanks for your interest in this guys! :) I'll have to see how I UV unwrap this now...it's a little harder than unwrapping a cylinder heh

OK, just gave it a quick test in KSP. Nothing is working, because I've  not done any configuration yet, I just wanted to check if there are any big differences in unity 5 compared to unity 4 I would need to get used to, but actually all seems to have stayed the same mostly, which is great. :) I also wanted to give it a quick test in KSP to check that the gear I want to use for it is actually big enough. Turns out, it fits perfectly! :)

1Mf6ZPG.png

I will do all the texturing stuff now first, and then start working on the real configs, but it's good to know that it's pretty much like before. :)

34 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

OK, just gave it a quick test in KSP. Nothing is working, because I've  not done any configuration yet, I just wanted to check if there are any big differences in unity 5 compared to unity 4 I would need to get used to, but actually all seems to have stayed the same mostly, which is great. :) I also wanted to give it a quick test in KSP to check that the gear I want to use for it is actually big enough. Turns out, it fits perfectly! :)

1Mf6ZPG.png

I will do all the texturing stuff now first, and then start working on the real configs, but it's good to know that it's pretty much like before. :)

Looks cool. Will there be an IVA? How many Kerbals will it hold? Will it have a KIS container?

13 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Looks cool. Will there be an IVA? How many Kerbals will it hold? Will it have a KIS container?

Yes, I am planning to do an IVA, for the cockpit and for the fuselage of course. ;)

How many kerbals it will hold? Hard to say. The whole body is 3.75m in diameter (so you can stick the passenger section onto a SLS or something heh :D ), so there are gonna be a lot places. Probably 4 kerbals in a row, so each kerbal has enough space (I have to see what looks better, so maybe also 5 or 6 kerbals in a row), at a total passenger cabin length of ~22.5m, with let's say 0.8m space between the rows, that would make up to about 110 to 170 seats in total (4 seats per row, six seats per row). Though regarding the space between the seats, 170 is more realistic. Probably totally overdone for KSP, but hey! :P

KIS container? Maybe. I will do the space for the cargo anyway with the cargo doors, so I could maybe do something cool with that. Like, making a custom container, and make that be a KIS container. :) Will have to see.

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

26 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Yes, I am planning to do an IVA, for the cockpit and for the fuselage of course. ;)

How many kerbals it will hold? Hard to say. The whole body is 3.75m in diameter (so you can stick the passenger section onto a SLS or something heh :D ), so there are gonna be a lot places. Probably 4 kerbals in a row, so each kerbal has enough space (I have to see what looks better, so maybe also 5 or 6 kerbals in a row), at a total passenger cabin length of ~22.5m, with let's say 0.8m space between the rows, that would make up to about 110 to 170 seats in total (4 seats per row, six seats per row). Though regarding the space between the seats, 170 is more realistic. Probably totally overdone for KSP, but hey! :P

KIS container? Maybe. I will do the space for the cargo anyway with the cargo doors, so I could maybe do something cool with that. Like, making a custom container, and make that be a KIS container. :) Will have to see.

Awesome! I can finally kill hundreds of Kerbals en masse do airlines in KSP!

Edited by _Augustus_

On 1/4/2016 at 10:07 PM, Kartoffelkuchen said:

@Nookos Well, you can make the stock parts deploy and retract, so I think it's definitely possible, though I've never made a wing before. :P I simply have to see! ^-^

Thanks for your interest in this guys! :) I'll have to see how I UV unwrap this now...it's a little harder than unwrapping a cylinder heh

:D You got me to give it another try and yes indeed it works if you simply set them up as controlsurfaces ignoring pitch,yaw and roll but let the user link them to an action group to deploy/retract them. In my case the only inconvenient side of this solution is that each wing has 10 control surfaces so when you link them to an action group it can be tricky/messy to know which ones are the flaps.

Thanks for that and good luck unwrapping ( definitely one of the least fun part of the process).

1 minute ago, _Augustus_ said:

Awesome! I can finally kill hundreds of Kerbals en masse do airlines in KSP!

You're going to need a very good computer for that. It becomes unbelievably laggy with 87 kerbals already even though the plane is only 11 parts. Kerbals are very demanding in terms of computing ( Haven't tried in 1.1 yet though).

Ok I just tried in 1.1 and there is absolutely no frames dropped anymore.   \o/

But yes in 1.0.5 it's not playable anymore when fully loaded with kerbals ( inside the cabin, and the plane is 11 parts) even though usually my computer starts lagging at around 250-270 parts.  

So that's a pretty good way to end the day on 2 good news, thanks for the flaps again. o/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.