Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

9 minutes ago, EladDv said:

apparently not 20 minutes is the current estimation 

still, they surely have some theoritical models on the lox temperature evolution for this kind of cases - all the real data they'll get from tonight's telemetry would end up giving them more accurate prediction models for future launches.

1 minute ago, sgt_flyer said:

still, they surely have some theoritical models on the lox temperature evolution for this kind of cases - all the real data they'll get from tonight's telemetry would end up giving them more accurate prediction models for future launches.

yeah but it's rare that those kinds of hold backs happen, most of the time if you get to the last minute there is a lesser chance of a launch hold, mostly because almost everything but engines is already tested by that point(and there is that static fire for the engines you know)

2 minutes ago, EladDv said:

Engine fire from the shutdown

The engines had already shutdown then those two flashes came afterward.

2 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Fuel that was not yet burnt, I suspect.

Bit of a nail biter that...

1 minute ago, Frybert said:

Oh man am I glad I decided not to drive over to the coast tonight. Still though, 2 separate trips to my little spot though.

What about the people that travel from afar to see these things? What the heck do you do? Better have a backup plan I guess. Theres always Disney I suppose.

Edited by Motokid600

7 minutes ago, EladDv said:

yeah but it's rare that those kinds of hold backs happen, most of the time if you get to the last minute there is a lesser chance of a launch hold, mostly because almost everything but engines is already tested by that point(and there is that static fire for the engines you know)

well, it's rare, but not that rare :) to have holds for various reasons (safety range, weather, technical) - with non subcooled propellants this kind of hold is not a problem - SpaceX just added an additionnal difficulty they have to manage ;) especially as spaceX starts the fuelling sequence 30mn before liftoff.

Edited by sgt_flyer

Just now, Frybert said:

Oh man am I glad I decided not to drive over to the coast tonight. Still though, 2 separate trips to my little spot though.

i think i heard we have 24 hours to the next launch. well launch attempt is more accurate i say

The first Falcon 9 launch several years went through an abort after ignition. The countdown was recycled and the rocket successfully launched later that same day, which amazed a shuttle engineer (shuttle_guy, who frequented the now-defunct space.com forums and was an incredible source of Shuttle information). From Wiki:

The first launch attempt occurred at 1:30 pm EDT on Friday, June 4, 2010 (1730 UTC). The launch was aborted shortly after ignition, and the rocket successfully went through a failsafe abort.[37] Ground crews were able to recycle the rocket, and successfully launched it at 2:45 pm EDT (1845 UTC) the same day.[38]

So I was hopeful they could do the same today, but alas, um, nope.

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The first Falcon 9 launch several years went through an abort after ignition. The countdown was recycled and the rocket successfully launched later that same day, which amazed a shuttle engineer (shuttle_guy, who frequented the now-defunct space.com forums and was an incredible source of Shuttle information). From Wiki:

So I was hopeful they could do the same today, but alas, um, nope.

it wouldn't have been possible on a 90mn launch window - especially with the subcooled lox, in this kind of case having to empty and refuel the rocket...

1 hour ago, gooddog15 said:

Also, that was one of closest aborts I've ever saw

Well, the flight computer commanded the abort automatically after determining that the thrust levels were not as expected. It's not like it had to time it just right or the rocket would launch. The rocket only launches if the flight computer OKs everything after the engines are lit.