Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

@Spaceception @Camacha If I miss it, and don't here much of the news, what I do is immediately go to SpaceX's YT channel and wait for their video to come up, then watch the launch as if it was live. If possible, I try to avoid any information about the flight (fail, success, etc) but good luck next time! I hope you get to see it!

BTW, the next one is scheduled for June 16... looks like another mission to GTO, and probably another "max damage" stage.

30 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

Yep.  It's my understanding that the standard Falcon 9 1.1 has joined the 1.0 in the history books at this point.  All new cores being built are FT, either singly or with additional hardware for Falcon Heavy.

I think they are leaving the experimental phase of the F9 core and entering the production phase (as they have now recaptured 3 launches). They are going to prolly focus on testing other parts, such as F9 heavy. 

Congrads to SX, would have responede early but El Nino, who was suppossed to be gone has made another visit. 

How is it a 6:02 we can see what looks like land ( Florida? ) in the grid fin view? The one on the left. That makes no sense to me shoudnt this view be facing east out to sea?

Omg, wait could that be Bermuda?!

Edited by Motokid600

4 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

How is it a 6:02 we can see what looks like land ( Florida? ) in the grid fin view? The one on the left? That makes no sense to me shoudnt this view be facing east out to sea?

Clouds, I'm guessing. Or they accidentally launched retrograde. 

What happens with the left grid fin around 7:25? It appears to be burning. Re-entry heat? At first I though it was a shimmering reflection, but there actually appear to be flames.

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Clouds, I'm guessing. Or they accidentally launched retrograde. 

Yeah it appears to have picked up some debris and caught fire. 

4 minutes ago, CptRichardson said:

Watching the video, that first stage appears to be very visibly BENT. I think we found the absolute upper limit of the landing capacity. You can see it getting a 5-10 degree list to the left on the video.

The horizon has a tilt too. Did you correct for that? It makes judging the thing rather tricky.

Just now, Camacha said:

The horizon has a tilt too. Did you correct for that? It makes judging the thing rather tricky.

You can confirm it by looking at the angle of the engines to the deck, which is off as well (but not to the same extent). Like they mention, it looks like the leg on the far side crumpled slightly from the stress.

4 hours ago, Camacha said:

Luckily, after missing it yesterday, I managed to miss it again today.

Oh well.

I was bummed about yesterday. Totally spaced it today (even had a reminder on my phone, but forgot to check it). Came to the forum to check in, saw in recent activity that somebody had posted something about the launch. Quickly went to the technical broadcast on Youtube right at T-9.

Sorry you missed it. I nearly did myself.

12 minutes ago, CptRichardson said:

You can confirm it by looking at the angle of the engines to the deck, which is off as well (but not to the same extent).

They are shaped fairly irregular, as is the circle on the deck to compare it to. Elon Musk has mentioned damage, but I cannot see anything that clearly stands out as such.

4 minutes ago, Camacha said:

They are shaped fairly irregular, as is the circle on the deck to compare it to. Elon Musk has mentioned damage, but I cannot see anything that clearly stands out as such.

A leg bent, and the core is ever so slightly off. But a lot of it seems to be from the leg bending.

Also, have some KSP footage of a recreation of the--

Oh. It's not a recreation, it's the entire reentry through the atmosphere sped up to thirty seconds from the stage camera. 

Its clear to see that the charing/soot comes from the reentry-heat, not the entry-burn. That will be an issue with the MCT, since they cant avoid it by using methane. Now they should get us the 4k version from the onboard storage!

Maybe they are rate to land only in 2 parachutes? Only not so comfy, more rough but inside whatever is considered a tolerable landing for an untrained human.

51 minutes ago, tater said:

I love the fact that they are making this boring.

Routine, yes....boring, never!  I always get excited when I see that rocket coming back in for a landing.

9 hours ago, Elthy said:

Its clear to see that the charing/soot comes from the reentry-heat, not the entry-burn. That will be an issue with the MCT, since they cant avoid it by using methane. Now they should get us the 4k version from the onboard storage!

If it is caused by re-entry heat then it is not a problem of deposits, as there is nothing to deposit, so they just need to use materials that can withstand the heat.