Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

14 minutes ago, icedown said:

WTF is with the drone ship name?

The ASDS are named after spaceships from The Culture series of SF novels. In the books, the ships are massive AI entities with a weird sense of humor that name themselves after their own personality. Some of them are hilarious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series

Edited by Nibb31

Just now, CptRichardson said:

Well, no, it landed upright and seemed to stay upright.  It burned to the deck. There is a very important difference between the two.

True.  I really only said that it 'crashed' to be able to type faster. :P 

2 minutes ago, CptRichardson said:

Well, no, it landed upright and seemed to stay upright.  It burned to the deck. There is a very important difference between the two.

Yeah, but It may have tipped over, I don't think they know for sure yet, so there's still hope, right?

Edited by Spaceception

Just now, Spaceception said:

Yeah, but I may have tipped over, I don't think they know for sure yet, so there's still hope, right?

No, I'm pretty sure 'on fire' is a bad day for rockets. Given that there is a lot of structural aluminum in a F9 as far as I know, the heat would be enough to melt and ignite the aluminum, leading to the rocket having a bad day. Tipping over? Probably not unless the fire melted the crush core of one of the legs.

9 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

The ASDS are named after spaceships from The Culture series of SF novels. In the books, the ships are massive AI entities with a weird sense of humor that name themselves after their own personality. Some of them are hilarious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series

Wahahaha! Really? That is pretty cool. Almost too cool for Elon Musk. He can't have thought of it...

Seems like a waste of good material for a barge though, what about the...umm..I dunno, real dang spaceships!

1 minute ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Maybe the fire set off the remaining fuel and/or the explosive charges?

That's a possibility.

But it looked fine, that smoke needs to move faster!

Edited by Spaceception

1 minute ago, CliftonM said:

True.  I really only said that it 'crashed' to be able to type faster. :P 

We must invent new, easily typable words for various types of landing failure.  I suggest softfail for when falcon lands softly (-ish) but then falls over.  Jason-3, umm, that second failure.  With the RCS thruster firing to keep it up after landing.  What was that one?

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

We must invent new, easily typable words for various types of landing failure.  I suggest softfail for when falcon lands softly (-ish) but then falls over.  Jason-3, umm, that second failure.  With the RCS thruster firing to keep it up after landing.  What was that one?

Ok, so we've had a notknowfail. :) 

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

A tippy. Depending on what happened to this one, I'd say it gooped itself.

Ascent phase & satellites look good, but booster rocket had a RUD on droneship  per Elon on twitter

Jeb needs to stay away from them

Edited by icedown

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

How about caic-fs. Contact acceleration initiated collapse - fuel system involvement.