Types of crafts people make and more

DiamondExcavater

Types of crafts you like and make  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What did you create, and enjoy making recently

2. 2. Will you use the inflatable heat shield more than regular ones?

• YES, more than regular heat shields
    • No, less than regular shields
    • IDK

Basically say what your most constructed vehicle is, if it is Other tell me what it is you made.

A mini poll on the Inflatable Heat shield

Feel free to state what you mostly do with KSP, do you spend the day making see planes? or do you create communication satellites?

Edited by DiamondExcavater

5 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

STTO = Single hype Train To Orbit.

Definitely a hype train, even though i have the recent builds for 1.1, I still can't wait for full release, the wheels look promising, as does the whole new system over haul, though the errors i find now make it very hard to play

2 minutes ago, DiamondExcavater said:

Definitely a hype train, even though i have the recent builds for 1.1, I still can't wait for full release, the wheels look promising, as does the whole new system over haul, though the errors i find now make it very hard to play

As in the option on the poll says that.

Since significant chunk of player base still doesn't have access to inflatable heatshield, there is no way for us to tell if we are going to use it or not. Either remove that option, or add "I don't know" available.

6 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Since significant chunk of player base still doesn't have access to inflatable heatshield, there is no way for us to tell if we are going to use it or not. Either remove that option, or add "I don't know" available.

Sorry, I thought players would just assume, as the Hype would of brought many people to youtube to watch the new Heat Shield, Added the IDK button

Just now, DolphinDude3 said:

You forgot non-SSTO Spaceplanes, like Space Shuttles or Spaceplanes that drop fuel tanks and/or engines.

I think ill just count it as other, too many edits make it unfair for those that already voted, you could choose SSTO, but Other if you need that extra poll, you could add it as a rocket too.

Sorry though, I'm not editing anymore.

I recently did a career based around the multi-mission space exploration vehicle concept. That is, a modular reusable spaceship with the core ship being reused and customized with different mission packages (landers, extra fuel tanks and such). So, "other" I guess.

1 minute ago, Teutooni said:

I recently did a career based around the multi-mission space exploration vehicle concept. That is, a modular reusable spaceship with the core ship being reused and customized with different mission packages (landers, extra fuel tanks and such). So, "other" I guess.

How much Delta V does this ship have? is it designed for most planets? Yeah and definitely OTHER, or if its big it can be BIIG Rockets

The most recent thing I built was a large SSTO rocket for the "One with Everyhing" challenge. Before that, it was big rockets for an upcoming Grand Tour.

Since 1.1 pre, I've pretty much been launching those aforementioned Grand Tour ships, mostly to make sure they still work in 1.1 and integrate the new inflatable heatshield for my Eve ship.

As to that heat shield, I don't think I'll use it more often. I don't see a need for it in most cases. Eve's an obvious reason but most of the time other than that, all aerobraking/capturing will be at Kerbin with a small return vessel.

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

As to that heat shield, I don't think I'll use it more often. I don't see a need for it in most cases. Eve's an obvious reason but most of the time other than that, all aerobraking/capturing will be at Kerbin with a small return vessel.

I've seen someone on youtube make a UFO out of 2 Inflatable Heat shields inverted, they also have lift, so if you add an internal engine on one side you could make a working flying saucer..

9 hours ago, DiamondExcavater said:

How much Delta V does this ship have? is it designed for most planets? Yeah and definitely OTHER, or if its big it can be BIIG Rockets

I owe you a bit more of an explanation do I? :wink:

Earlier versions were lighter with mostly stock parts, ~50 ton vessel with ~4km/s delta v. They were for exploring Mun and Minmus mostly.

This is one of the latest with a lot of near future technologies unlocked, 100 tons, over 10 km/s delta v.

They were all designed to return to Kerbin orbit after each mission, dock with a crew capsule which returned science and crew to the surface. Then a fresh crew would fly up and dock with the ship, followed by a refueling drone, followed by possible lander or other mission specific thing. The lander would attach to the forward large docking port, preserving centre of mass relative to centre of thrust.

I will probably start experimenting with full blown arkships with ISRUs, full closed life support loops and such when some key mods are updated to 1.1.

Edited by Teutooni

12 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

Well, I've only used a heat shield once, since then I just land the whole last stage back on kerbin. So I guess even just trying some thing with it in sandbox would make this a yes :)

Same here, I don't use heatshields. I mostly make spaceplanes and they can survive the reentry without one, usually. I'll use the inflatable one purely for its drag since parachutes aren't very reliable unless I use RealChute.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.