[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

6 hours ago, inigma said:

I'm going to add a KOTH.cfg to the OP tonight if I can, since players will need it to use Aviator Arsenal's antenna. 

I'm liking the concept of this series so far.

18 minutes ago, Bananders said:

@inigma Just a heads up  on me still not being on the list. Please don't forget me

*kaff* me neither *kaff*

Just a quick update:

My plane flying upside down in AI mode was caused by the command seat floating a few pixels above the root part. So make sure your command seat is touching proper with the root part. This fixed the issue.

Now....as for my plane / experiment with .625m parts:

The Good News

-I can build a plane that is under 1.45 tonnes of mass, fully fuelled (50 units) and with full .50 cal ammo and a single .50 cal Browning. Dry weight is around 0.96 tonnes. It's a feather in the wind...literally!
-It can reach 62 m/s very quickly with the tail rotor as propulsion. It's a blast to fly in and out of the KSC buildings. Very, very quick and nimble. Manually I can outfly and outshoot a competitor easily.
-It's a plane that is exactly scaled proper to a Kerbal.

The Bad News

-The landing gear setups are very touchy at that low of mass. Friction values have to be set manually, same with the spring and dampening.
-The flaps have to be adjusted within +-2% of ideal (you'll be playing with it. I found 70% is all I need for main wing flaps, 65% on rear flaps, 72% for the vertical stabilizer, and these are the smallest ailerons the stock parts have). BD's AI can't compensate properly, so there is alot of adjustments between the stock authority adjustment and BD's adjustments. I haven't found a happy medium quite yet.
-The tail rotor has great acceleration, but it fuzzes out in a steep climb rather quickly. The air velocity is caa-caa. The bigger KAX engines are far superior. I tried the plane with SXT 0.625 engines and they don't have the same problem. Also the top speed is about 10 to 15 m/s lower than the bigger KAX engines, and there is nothing I can do about that. I've tried every aerodynamic trick I know and 62.5 m/s is the fastest it will go.

Hopefully I can iron out the plane in time to compete.

Edited by GDJ

On 6/5/2016 at 7:20 AM, The Optimist said:

Yes, I have tested it against the Guppy and a few other entries.

Can I have 3 different craft? I want 2 of one type and one of each of the two other craft

Yes.

On 6/5/2016 at 7:35 AM, GDJ said:

Quick question: Is the tournament OK with monoplanes based on the .625m parts?

I may have a wicked little plane that may work well here.

Yes.

On 6/5/2016 at 5:04 PM, g00bd0g said:

are guns limited beyond "2 fixed guns maximum, no turrets"?  Or can I mount a pair of vulcans on this thing?

only BDA .50 cal Brownings, and any Aviator Arsenal part is permitted.

OP updated with latest entries.

55 minutes ago, epicman81 said:

has anyone else had a problem with the ai pilot where after the plane takes off the auto pilot will crash the plane.

Ne,  Seems to result from landing gear springs.  they just bounce too hard.

Just now, jrodriguez said:

Yes :). How do you feel today as the new King??

I must say, I didn't expect it to go that smoothly. In testing the Llama really gave me a run for my money, almost always coming down to 1v1 and missing sections of wings.

2 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Yes :). How do you feel today as the new King??

Hey jrod, you should install Texture Replacer which automatically takes those helmets off of the Kerbals in low altitude flight. :)   Great recording!

2 hours ago, JollyGreenGI said:

I must say, I didn't expect it to go that smoothly. In testing the Llama really gave me a run for my money, almost always coming down to 1v1 and missing sections of wings.

I think at one point in one of the rounds, guns stopped firing. BDA bug for sure, but the two rounds were conclusive enough to show that your planes were more stable in flight and thus more accurate at range, even when the bug was recovered from.

Edited by inigma

1 hour ago, inigma said:

I think at one point in one of the rounds, guns stopped firing. BDA bug for sure, but the two rounds were conclusive enough to show that your planes were more stable in flight and thus more accurate at range, even when the bug was recovered from.

Now that I think about it, I might be running an outdated version of KAX, propeller audio on mine doesn't fade with distance and only comes out of the right channel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.