I want to deorbit the Mun.

Ranzear

Yes, but he'd need fuel. Now then, since suit fuel packs replenish when they go "inside"... just land a hitchhiker module on the moon with a Kerbal, have him go back in every time his pack runs out.

Since you can only control one kerbal at a time... as a math exercise, how long would the Mun theoretically take (assuming it wasn't on rails) to impact Kerbin with the aid of only one Kerbal suit RCS? You may disregard the time it takes to cycle through the habitat/recharge the suit. Be sure to show your work! :D We shall also be VERY kind, and disregard the Mun's rotation.

Obviously you'd have to burn whatever you could mine on the body, which has the advantage of making it lighter the more you burn. Orrr... how about drilling a huge shaped shaft and then solar heating the inside to use lava-jet propulsion?

Since we're talking about nuclear explosions,, and if the Mun wasn't on rails,, what do you all think about landing a few dozen Orion engines on the surface. They have Massive amounts of deltaV compared to stock combinations. And the thrust to push a small moon. I haven't used the mod personally but it's available under the Addon Development sub forum

You should be able to move minmus with an scaled up orion.

Use megaton sized bombs and an trust plate of some hundred meter.

You still probably had to trust for weeks.

Mun would be another ballpark.

Is it possible to deorbit with hyperedit? I know the two bodies just clip through eachother, but I'm more interested in the view from kerbin right up to "impact"

O and you guys might wanna check out a game coming out soon called Planetary Anihilation.

good point Sirabert. CCKinnison does too. good point that is. doh yep one at a time. fun to think about though :)

Our sun may be but what about Kerbals sun? :sticktongue: .Actually they would die at the sameish time unless we send super heavy duty long lasting pc or mac running KSP with a super super super long lasting power source into inter stella space. ha ha Im just getting stupider now ;)

Edited by bonyetty

• 3 months later...
Mmmmm what's the DeltaV of a Kerbal jetpack? How many of the green guys would we need to send up there to bring that sucker down? And does one hemisphere of the Mun have enough area for the green guys to stand up there side by side to do the job? :rolleyes:

They conveniently have 600 m/s of delta-v.

Which means you need a pile of kerbals slightly more massive,and much larger in diameter than the Mun.

Or one Kerbal and a command pod ands few quadrillion years to kill.

My question is, how long would it take by sunlight? That is to say, cover the Mun in mirrors that can be flipped upside down. My previous knowledge tells me that sunlight applies a drag of like 0.00001 N/m^2 for mirrors vs. Black. The Mun weighs 1e21 kg and has a intercepts about 300000 km^2. That is 3000 kilonewtons, equivalent to a couple mainsails. On average though, it is only roughly 1000 kilonewtons. That means it would take 1e15 seconds to change the speed by 1 m/s, and 3e17 to 6e17 to deorbit. This is 10-20 billion years, the age of the universe.