MechJeb or Kerbal Engineer

MechJeb or Kerbal Engineer  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• MechJeb
    • Kerbal Engineer Redux
    • Neither
    • Both

I racked up 1.5k hours of the game with no mods. Then I discovered KER, and there was so much more room for activities.

Many many hours later, I finally gave MJ's auto maneuvers a try, and there became so much more room for activities that I still dont know how i survived with out it. Literately countless hours I spent adjusting nodes to get ONE intersect, and Im wondering, "Do these green aliens really not have a computer to set up trajectories for me?"

Well in an alternative reality, they do. And I like that one a lot :)

I still use both. I could get by with neither, but id hate it now. I use MJ for the auto maneuvers, and KER for the Delta v readouts. If MJ came out with a way to display craft info like the HUD 1 & 2 readouts KER has id just run MJ, but that has yet to happen

I used to HATE mechjeb as I saw it as "cheaty", however I now have well over 2500 hours in KSP.. . This has actually made me quite reliant on mechjeb... Not because I'm inept at flying (quite the contrary), but rather because I have done it so many times that it feels mundane. Also,  Translatron + Smart A.S.S are practically a requirement for hovering effectively, while switching between vehicles when constructing some advanced bases, or when using firespittter helecopters. (Hold vertical/kill horizontal then switch to IR ground machine for fine tuning).. I enjoy drinking a cup of coffee and letting MJ do the calculations and tedious bits for me. Makes it more like a game, and less like a "physics class" simulator..  That aside, I still end up doing manual stuff regardless, especially when you have to unlock mechjeb nodes in career.
   In short, I expect everyone will appreciate the simplification that mechjeb allows at one point or another.

2 hours ago, Pecan said:

KER and VOID do HUD.  Yes, MJ has all the customisable windows but sometimes ... no window at all is better.
MJ has no heat readouts.
There are more differences, but it would be tedious to list them all.

And for those who say they enjoy doing the dV calculations by hand ...
I'm as big a fan of understanding the maths behind it all as the next man (unless it's slashy) but are you also calculating all the figures and other information these mods show you while you fly?  Biome, heading to target, etc. etc.  Dynamic navigation stuff that even the simplest boat (let alone 'plane) has?

Want a hud even though the nav ball is enough imo? Ok. Mechjeb + navhud. Should cover it now. :)

18 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Want a hud even though the nav ball is enough imo? Ok. Mechjeb + navhud. Should cover it now. :)

I assume you haven't ever seen the stuff the KER and VOID can display in thier HUDs.  Not that it matters, personal preference is personal.

@Pecan Considering that its a waste of memory to duplicate functions via 2 mods, I do not touch ker. Ive seen das use ker enough times to be quite certain that what ever minute features not covered by ker or MJ such as a HUD is handled by yet more mods that would still be duplicating features rendering ker pointless. But, preferences are everything. Which makes threads like is this mod cheating or is that mod this or that pointless in the end.

my final words on this thread are thus: mechjeb does a major portion, like 99.99% of ker, and if you run both MJ and ker, it is my opinion you are wasting space on your computer as you are needlessly duplicating functions. With that said, I will not return to this thread. I have said what I felt I needed to say. Happy flying, happy explorations to all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to install KER but when using MecJeb, I tend to avoid using it whenever possible. That said, I typically end up pulling a Soyuz and let auto docking handle my station docking. In large part, this is because I have a really hard time docking ships manually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.